Lake Bonneville Layout Boats

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Lake Bonneville Layout Boats

Postby blackrock » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:12 am

image.jpg
The Big Brother blends in to this spread nicely. We had more goose floaters on the other side of the boat, took this photo as we were picking up.
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:16 am

image.jpg
The Bonnie with the camo cover. We put it in some stickers and ice, some of the geese didn't even see it from 15 yards. Next time we'll add stickers and vines to the stubble straps and it will really blend in!
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:16 am

image.jpg
Happy buddy.....
blackrock
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:31 pm

So I was wondering I have a bad lower back does sitting up in a lay out hurt your guy's backs :huh:
cootlover
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:49 pm

Coot, my low back and neck is pretty bad too. This boat has a really comfortable curved backrest. I actually use a small brown pillow under my neck and its really comfortable. You still have to sit up quick to shoot though. When its warmer and the sun is out, I fall asleep in there sometimes! Got a lot of crap from my son when that happened.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:50 pm

image.jpg
View from the office yesterday!
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:52 pm

image.jpg
I finally got a turn in the boat.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:56 pm

What state do you live in black :huh:
cootlover
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:30 pm

I live in Idaho Coot.
blackrock
hunter

Postby cootlover » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:58 am

Black Cool I' am from Utah I have to say you guy's kick butt in your layout's :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:49 am

image.jpg
Potential dance partners.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:51 am

I had the chance to go out west and hunt a few weeks back. We had a great time seeing a new part of the country and even better we got to hunt! I was shocked at how many birds were out there as we drove I80. Being an Ohio boy I have never seen numbers as impressive as I saw driving that. Makes me really start thinking about where I want to 'set up shop" after college. We were able to hunt in UT for 5 days and we had a great time and made two new friends in the processes. We were able to layout boat hunt all but the first day, and we met with so many birds which allowed us to be a bit picky on our shots. However we had to work for them as there was so much ice. The last two days I was there we had to reset the spread 3 different times as the ice kept coming in and locking us in.

The highlight of the trip was new years day, we got a late start as we normally do and didn't even get off the ramp until 11. As we made the 8 mile run we came across this area that was loaded with spoonies. the numbers were easily a couple thousand (we get spoonies in OH but never numbers like that, I had my heart set on a nice drake). We decided to set up on their flyway that day, we set 4 dozen decoys and we couldn't even get them all out before we had birds trying to sit down on us. I was lucky enough to be the first one up in the layout. I got settled in and didn't have to wait long for the first play, the tender had only gotten maybe a 100 yards away, when I had a nice green winger come right in the pocket. I made short work out of him and sat back and watched as group after group of birds would lift off of the raft and make their way low in my direction. As I said I had my eye out for a good looking spoonie, I decided I would hold off until I found my bird. I didn't have to wait long until I had another group start working me, maybe 10, and they made pass after pass coming right in the hole....I know I was driving the guys in the tender nuts at this point. But, as I would look off to my left I could see nothing but more birds coming. I just laid back and watched as the show unfolded in front of me. When the wads of birds got to me they joined the groups that were already circling the rig. More and more kept adding to the massive flock torandoing above me. With every pass the flock would make little groups would drop out and come right in and swarm the spread. I was in aww at the sight of these birds working me, there were so many that I would being watching one group and out of no where more would come in on the opposite side.

Finally I had a nice bird drop in, I sat up and crushed him at 20 yards and proceeded to fold his girl friend as she tried to make her way out. I was super excited to say the least. after that shot, the heavens opened up as bird after bird were fighting each other trying to get into the spread. Within in minutes I filled my 7 bird limit and was switching out. My hunt lasted 23 minutes.

As the three of us quickly switched out it was apparent that today was going to happen quick, to quick some might say. For the hour and a half that we were hunting it was none stop birds working us. I couldn't get enough of it. Heres some pictures of the couple of days that we hunted.

If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:27 pm

I bought a boat from mighty layout boats.. what a joke that was trying to get my boat to me.. I had my old lady pretend to be my lawyer and they finally got back to me... 4 month's late.. I traded it for a 2 man waterfowl works.. should of went to them 1st. I've called them before seems real professional and has helped my out with questions with my new used boat ! - cool pics guys if I get on a p.c il post some up
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:21 pm

nelliboy looks like you had some fantastic days out west in spite of all the ice! Great pics......
blackrock
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:50 pm

Yes sir we had a ball to say the least. Great trip overall and had a great time seeing a new part of the country.
I can't thank those guys enough for taking us out, they worked their tails off for us.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:21 am

Nelliboy2 wrote:Yes sir we had a ball to say the least. Great trip overall and had a great time seeing a new part of the country.
I can't thank those guys enough for taking us out, they worked their tails off for us.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Shush now, everybody knows that there's no ducks in Utah..... :yes:

Glad you guys had such an awesome trip!
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:02 pm

We wrapped up the season back on OH. We got really cold really quick which froze over most of the water besides rivers. I don't have any access to rivers as they are mostly private but we found a little open water hole on a lake that we thought might be worth a shot. There wasn't a whole lot of birds holding on it at all to our surprise but we made the best of it. Should have had another buffie but it happens.

I actually can't believe all of those coots flew into the spread in singles and pairs. Kept us busy! lol
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:14 pm

Coots love layouts
Sea ducks too
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby blackrock » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:43 pm

Nice sea ducks Tealer! That is awesome. We want to do that......
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:44 am

image.jpg
This is the last afternoon of our duck season. We only had an hour and a half on the water before shooting time, so buddy got the nod. Keep in mind this is mid January, these ducks have been shot at for 3 1/2 months! Bud limited on ducks and had geese landing and swimming 10 feet from him. He ran short on shells, so he had to just video them with his phone as they came right in. I'll post that when I figure out how.....Thanks to Kelly at LBLB for an amazing season. We are going to try the spring geese next!
blackrock
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:49 pm

Thats awesome your killing me with these photos next thing I know I'm gonna have one of those and few less greenbacks in the account and will be making trips to nothern indiana to lake michigan.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Here's a nice little hunt we had earlier this year. Actually it was the second to last hunt before we were froze out. This was one of the best season I have had. I can't imagine it being half as good without these layout boats.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby seeduk » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:04 pm

threedogs wrote:Just had to fix it. holding my computer upside down was killing me. Looks nice.
number1.jpg

number2.jpg

number4.jpg

Nice boats! Hunted out of LBLB and a UFO... In rougher water I would rather be in a UFO.. Both were nice! Tony of LBLB is a class act :thumbsup:
seeduk
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:55 am

Nelliboy, great to see you whackin the puddlers out if the Bonnie!
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:51 am

Can't wait to hunt out of the 2 man........
blackrock
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds