Lake Bonneville Layout Boats

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Lake Bonneville Layout Boats

Postby blackrock » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:26 pm

image.jpg
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:27 pm

image.jpg
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:28 pm

image.jpg
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:38 pm

image.jpg
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:55 pm

I posted some pictures, sorry I couldn't figure out how to get them all in one post. The sprayshield slides in to a flush channel, much better than the old flimsy riveted on one. It's pretty sturdy. The magnets in the glass are powerful and hold about anything on there. Bonneville makes decoys that attach, but not available yet so we are figuring out how to make do with what we have. The boat is only 6 inches above the water and I fit in easily even with size 12 feet. I have been wanting to do this since reading some old books years ago. We'll hunt geese over water too, I watched some guys last year and its deadly! A little off topic, and I don't want to get too far off this thread, but I posted a shot of my Bankes Predator scull boat just to show I shop around. Another great way to be sneaky, and the gentleman that mentioned Bankes above was spot on, great boat, good guy and good service. Even so, I've had to wait a long time for sleeves to arrive from Canada, he was busy building a boat. When dealing with these small specialized boat builders, just realize it might take awhile, order early. Not like buying a Coleman canoe or something, small shops where I think they only build one or two at a time.
blackrock
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:20 am

duckslayer74 wrote:Call Tony Smith or look him up on the refuge site in the utah forum, he goes by "diverfreak" over there. He's the owner of Lake Bonneville Layout Boats, I'd bet he would not like getting the negative attention that he's getting here.

I'm not sure if he is the owner anymore.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:23 am

I don't know about LB...but I think a lot of times we see fancy Web-Sites and presume that there is an actual "company" behind it...many times it's a few guys in a garage after working their real jobs to make extra cash...
A lot of guys (you, us) are dinosaurs with texting, emails, answering/returning phone calls...
So as disappointing and unprofessional as your story sounds, I'm not alarmed by it..but I would expect that these guys will come through for you.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby threedogs » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Just had to fix it. holding my computer upside down was killing me. Looks nice.
number1.jpg
number1.jpg (61.34 KiB) Viewed 1589 times

number2.jpg
number2.jpg (81.14 KiB) Viewed 1589 times

number4.jpg
number4.jpg (69.55 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby TX-Carl » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Due to some of the recent activity on this thread I felt like I should give everyone an update.

Same as before, I still don't have my boat.

I manage an account in my industry and if I made promises for "later this week" and didn't bother to even alert that I wasn't going to make whatever promise happen, I would have been fired come next week. I guess It is too much to ask for a status update... or is it really? I mean how hard is to make an email group that you can mass email all at once? There is really no excuse considering all of today's modern communication options.

Granted every time I get Kelly on the phone he has some heart felt excuses, but the fact that it is ME that calls him every time days after the promised delivery date is what I find offensive. Especially when I have been extremely courteous on the phone.

I should have it "later this week", I wont hold my breath.

I will keep you'll posted.
TX-Carl
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Your not the only one having problems.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Gonegoosin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:01 am

Guys, I heard about this post and thought I would hop on and offer some clarification to the ownership and everything I can for Lake Bonneville Layout Boats as I live in Utah and know both Kelly and Tony very well. Tony has indeed sold the company. He helps a bit behind the scenes but has other projects he is working on. Kelly Pope is the new owner. Since purchasing the business he and his family have spent a ridiculous sum of money and time refining an already awesome product. I agree as will he that he is behind through all the refinements but as of late last week, boats started shipping and being delivered. I know the boat for Carl in Texas has been shipped and he will be hearing of his bill of lading soon if he hasn't already. I spoke to Kelly about this before posting a reply. I have one of Tony's Apparitions and now have one of Kelly's. I will post pictures this weekend so you can see the difference, which may appear to be small, but will make a difference for the life of the boat you choose. Kelly really wanted to be sure he had everything updated and above board before shipping boats. Everyone who has or does order one of these will be thrilled! Tony built an incredible boat and Kelly will continue the tradition. Kelly may not be a well known individual in the waterfowl world, he not a Pro Staffer for anyone, just a person who owns a couple companies and loves building memories with his kids and helping to provide tools for other folks so they can as well. As for the future, everything is in place for timely deliveries of future boats. Now, let the attacks begin ...........
Gonegoosin
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:29 pm

Gonegoosin wrote:Guys, I heard about this post and thought I would hop on and offer some clarification to the ownership and everything I can for Lake Bonneville Layout Boats as I live in Utah and know both Kelly and Tony very well. Tony has indeed sold the company. He helps a bit behind the scenes but has other projects he is working on. Kelly Pope is the new owner. Since purchasing the business he and his family have spent a ridiculous sum of money and time refining an already awesome product. I agree as will he that he is behind through all the refinements but as of late last week, boats started shipping and being delivered. I know the boat for Carl in Texas has been shipped and he will be hearing of his bill of lading soon if he hasn't already. I spoke to Kelly about this before posting a reply. I have one of Tony's Apparitions and now have one of Kelly's. I will post pictures this weekend so you can see the difference, which may appear to be small, but will make a difference for the life of the boat you choose. Kelly really wanted to be sure he had everything updated and above board before shipping boats. Everyone who has or does order one of these will be thrilled! Tony built an incredible boat and Kelly will continue the tradition. Kelly may not be a well known individual in the waterfowl world, he not a Pro Staffer for anyone, just a person who owns a couple companies and loves building memories with his kids and helping to provide tools for other folks so they can as well. As for the future, everything is in place for timely deliveries of future boats. Now, let the attacks begin ...........

Just been keeping up on this as I was interested in one of these , next year.
I run a small transportation company, I can get away with late deliveries, missed appointments, as long as I communicate with my customers, they understand things happen. From what I read, it's lack of communication and updates and pro active updates ( on late shipment or build) that's has me making this post.
Everyone's families work hard, and they work hard to spend their hard earned money of products, such as this!
Frankly, your giving more excuses and selling " everyone will be thrilled"..the product can only sell itself so much..
There are several small compaines on this site that I have bought from , each of them where nothing but up front and communicated through each transaction. In this day of electronics with iPhone , iPads,lap tops, I find the lack of communication unacceptable, it's JOB ONE!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Tealer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:54 pm

This is kind of a joke right? Seems everybody can find these guys except current customers.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby threedogs » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Gonegoosin wrote:Guys, I heard about this post and thought I would hop on and offer some clarification to the ownership and everything I can for Lake Bonneville Layout Boats as I live in Utah and know both Kelly and Tony very well. Tony has indeed sold the company. He helps a bit behind the scenes but has other projects he is working on. Kelly Pope is the new owner. Since purchasing the business he and his family have spent a ridiculous sum of money and time refining an already awesome product. I agree as will he that he is behind through all the refinements but as of late last week, boats started shipping and being delivered. I know the boat for Carl in Texas has been shipped and he will be hearing of his bill of lading soon if he hasn't already. I spoke to Kelly about this before posting a reply. I have one of Tony's Apparitions and now have one of Kelly's. I will post pictures this weekend so you can see the difference, which may appear to be small, but will make a difference for the life of the boat you choose. Kelly really wanted to be sure he had everything updated and above board before shipping boats. Everyone who has or does order one of these will be thrilled! Tony built an incredible boat and Kelly will continue the tradition. Kelly may not be a well known individual in the waterfowl world, he not a Pro Staffer for anyone, just a person who owns a couple companies and loves building memories with his kids and helping to provide tools for other folks so they can as well. As for the future, everything is in place for timely deliveries of future boats. Now, let the attacks begin ...........

I call BS, nobody is too busy to answer an email or the phone for that matter. This is the kind of bs dodging I played with multi girl friends when I was 20 .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby J-WOW83 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:43 am

New to forum and new to layouts. Curious about Mighty layout boys and UFO layout boats compared to lake bonneville layouts? All kinda the same but priced a lil different. Also curious if anyone has built a layout and the degree of difficulty it is? I've seen the UFO plans for sale and kinda interested in doing a build.
J-WOW83
Newb

Postby Tealer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:30 pm

J-WOW83 wrote:New to forum and new to layouts. Curious about Mighty layout boys and UFO layout boats compared to lake bonneville layouts? All kinda the same but priced a lil different. Also curious if anyone has built a layout and the degree of difficulty it is? I've seen the UFO plans for sale and kinda interested in doing a build.

This deserves a new topic.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby threedogs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:57 pm

Tealer wrote:
J-WOW83 wrote:New to forum and new to layouts. Curious about Mighty layout boys and UFO layout boats compared to lake bonneville layouts? All kinda the same but priced a lil different. Also curious if anyone has built a layout and the degree of difficulty it is? I've seen the UFO plans for sale and kinda interested in doing a build.

This deserves a new topic.

Don't know about deserving another topic , try the search engine. Lots of homemade layout boats.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:58 am

Nothing motivates a business like a letter from a laywer that mentions small claims court. TX, if I was in your shoes, I'd call my credit card and dispute the 50% charge before it's too late. I'd also try to slam them with credit card fraud.

Companies like Bonniville are one of the reasons why this country is going hell. They lie, treat customers like $hit, and think they can do whatever they want. I'm willing to bet, if you ride this out, you'll end up with a sub-par boat. Just cancel and order a Bankes boat, I've heard nothing but great things about them.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:47 am

The previous owner, Tony, was great to deal with. From what I can gather, the new owner is very lacking.

I've heard a few excuses.

1) They are busy redoing the spray curtain and don't want to send any boats out with the old one. IMO they should give the purchaser the option to wait for the new design or go with the old design. You do not make changes so close to season and assume people are fine waiting.

2) Bank account was hacked and need to get that straightened out before they can ship.

I call BS on both excuses and would be contacting the CC company. Until the new owner earns a reputation, I'd be stearing clear IMO.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:36 pm

I always kinda thought they made subpar boats. No excuse for this situation.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby TX-Carl » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Gentlemen let me begin with It's not my style to have created an internet smear campaign about this company. The only reason I posted here was to hopefully gain a little leverage and keep them honest.

I did receive my boat today and it looks great!

Kelly Pope has made tremendous strides in these last 3 weeks. We had a long conversation 3 weeks ago about what was going on and he was transparent with me at that time. ( I wish he would have told me sooner) Plain and simple he made a decision to make a modification to his boats way too late. He thought it would be a quick fix but it came out being a very long and expensive process for him, which delayed the shipping of his boats to his customers. I truly do believe that he made this decision with his customers best interest in mind. The new splash guards that he created are incredible and the boat is very well made and safe. People make mistakes and he has gone above and beyond to make up for the delay of my boat. He has returned all of my calls, updated me on the status of my boat and followed up with me to make sure that I was pleased with the delivery of my boat. He even offered discounting his boat (which I promptly denied) at this point he has done everything that he can to rectify the situation.

I know what it is like to make a decision and then have to answer to many upset customers. It is a very uncomfortable position to be in but the best way to handle this situation is communication. Again people do make mistakes and he did mishandle the situation but he corrected the situation not only by the delivery of the boat but by his recent pro-active approach to customer service. I am sure this will only be a bump in the road for him and LBLB, because they do make great boats.

Now... I need to learn how to hunt out of a layout boat in Texas! I will follow up with some pics of the boat.
TX-Carl
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:46 pm

I still say burn them down but then again I like to instigate.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:10 pm

Carl, I'm glad to hear you have your boat and are so impressed with it! I am really happy with mine, and I think your comments on Kelly are right on.This is what I tried to impart on my earlier post and was promptly thrashed for it. I also have gotten to know Kelly recently and I think he's a great guy. He is so concerned with putting out the best boat he can! Hell, he even offered to drive half way to my house and loan me two coffin blinds for my sons youth hunt. This from a guy I've only met once, and a few phone calls where we hit it off. I hope to see some photos of that boat in action soon. We are all rigged up and will be trying ours on some local geese and ducks. Have fun!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:17 pm

Can't wait to see the pics, please focus on what's DIFFERENT about the prior boat.
Also,
1) How big are you and what size boots? Feet straight up in this boat or cocked to the side?
2) Is it designed to tow?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Slack Tide, I bought the Big Brother on Kelly's advice over the GSL or Apparition. Partly because it can get damn stormy on the big western reservoir where I hunt, need a great sprayshield. I am 6 foot, 195, size 12 feet. I fit in there really comfortably. My feet can be straight up. The boat is still super low profile 6 inches,which is what got my attention first. I don't want a boat that looks like a VW bug. The new sprayshield is really awesome, see my photos above. Kelly showed me the old design, it was riveted in to the cockpit lip. Hard to replace or change out, now you can replace it, remove it or change from gray to clear, or use a lower profile one in minutes. The old one was light canvas, the new one is the same material that covers for semi trailers are made of. The back rest is also full width now, much more comfortable. I don't think these boats are specifically made to tow, but don't quote me on that, not sure. Mine rides cross ways on cradles I built for the jet boat. Carl, which boat did you order? Hope this helps......
blackrock
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds