Lake Bonneville Layout Boats

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Lake Bonneville Layout Boats

Postby Gonegoosin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:59 am

blackrock wrote:Gone, that new Apparition looks great, I like that spray shield! That might be our second layout boat for my son, and use on calmer days, smaller water. We have the Big Brother now. Or maybe the new dog boat for Cheyenne.........

Blackrock, You would love an Apparition as well. You are welcome to check it out the next time you drive into Utah if you like. I live off the first Brigham exit. I saw the dog boat in action down at Farmington Bay earlier this month. Kelly had a display there for the Youth Fair. His Black Lab Jado loves that boat and does remarkable from it. I hope you enjoy that Big Brother this season.
Gonegoosin
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:14 am

Gonegoosin wrote:Here is a picture of the updated Apparition as promised. I'll get a better picture that shows the splashguard up close but for now, this picture speaks volumes as to the strength of the boat. Kelly Pope, the new owner of LBLB came by an educational event yesterday at the Bear River Bird Refuge to talk to folks young and old about the modifications and teach folks about layout hunting.

Love it.... That boat looks sick nasty!

Why does it only have half a spray guard?
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:57 am

Being that your back is to the wind, the 1/2 guard allows a better view and any water runs down the gunnel and then off.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby mikethehelopilot » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:20 pm

After reading the problems you are having with LBLB I looked into it because this didn't seem right. I found out that the original owner Tony Smith no longer owns the company. I can not speak about the new owner because I don't know him at all. Tony's boats and his customer service were top notch. He even invited 4 of us to hunt with him, stay at his house and show us how to use our boats.
Sounds to me like everything changed when ownership changed hands. Good luck.
mikethehelopilot
Newb

Location: Western PA born, currently stationed at Ft Drum, NY

Postby threedogs » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:16 pm

mikethehelopilot wrote:After reading the problems you are having with LBLB I looked into it because this didn't seem right. I found out that the original owner Tony Smith no longer owns the company. I can not speak about the new owner because I don't know him at all. Tony's boats and his customer service were top notch. He even invited 4 of us to hunt with him, stay at his house and show us how to use our boats.
Sounds to me like everything changed when ownership changed hands. Good luck.

WOW, you looked into it? Jeez dude youre a little late don't ya think ?
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Mississippi river rat » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:20 pm

I feel your pain, I ordered my boat from Kelly and have been expecting it since the beginning of September. I had a full amount charged on 9/4 and he even over charged me on our purchase of 3 boats. He then said he would credit this to our cards since we used two cards for the purchases. I have not seen a credit on my card and have not received my boats to this date. I have been trying to contact Kelly and his voicemail is full and he has not returned a call, email, or text in over a couple of weeks. My next step will be to put in a dispute for the charge on my credit card company since he will not return any type of communication. I went with this company because of all the good reports and how they were built by the previous owner Tony. I am saddened that Kelly is going to wreck this company in the short time he has been in charge because of either lack of business management skills or just a lack of knowledge. I know for the company I am a salesperson for this wouldn’t' fly one bit if I didn't communicate with a customer that a product wouldn’t' be there on its expected day I would loose that customer and be bad mouthed by them, and probably loose their business for good and that is not how you want to start when taking over a company. If I was anyone out their looking for a boat this is not the place I would go because you probably won’t get it or if you do it will be so long that you could have built one from scratch.
Mississippi river rat
Newb

Postby threedogs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Mississippi river rat wrote:I feel your pain, I ordered my boat from Kelly and have been expecting it since the beginning of September. I had a full amount charged on 9/4 and he even over charged me on our purchase of 3 boats. He then said he would credit this to our cards since we used two cards for the purchases. I have not seen a credit on my card and have not received my boats to this date. I have been trying to contact Kelly and his voicemail is full and he has not returned a call, email, or text in over a couple of weeks. My next step will be to put in a dispute for the charge on my credit card company since he will not return any type of communication. I went with this company because of all the good reports and how they were built by the previous owner Tony. I am saddened that Kelly is going to wreck this company in the short time he has been in charge because of either lack of business management skills or just a lack of knowledge. I know for the company I am a salesperson for this wouldn’t' fly one bit if I didn't communicate with a customer that a product wouldn’t' be there on its expected day I would loose that customer and be bad mouthed by them, and probably loose their business for good and that is not how you want to start when taking over a company. If I was anyone out their looking for a boat this is not the place I would go because you probably won’t get it or if you do it will be so long that you could have built one from scratch.

Lets see now. You joined today and this is your first post just to bash Kelly at LBB ? Get a life turd, no creds to you.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:10 pm

I believe him. I know of someone basically in the same boat. Paid in full, 1.5 months overdue and an excuse and promise every week that it will ship the next week. Tony was a stand up guy, sad to see this happening.

I'd be looking at Bankes or Duck Water is now making a layout.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby threedogs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:14 pm

g_maxson wrote:I believe him. I know of someone basically in the same boat. Paid in full, 1.5 months overdue and an excuse and promise every week that it will ship the next week. Tony was a stand up guy, sad to see this happening.

I just get tired and suspicious of the one post posters bashing and knowing all, know what I mean ??
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:29 am

threedogs wrote:
g_maxson wrote:I believe him. I know of someone basically in the same boat. Paid in full, 1.5 months overdue and an excuse and promise every week that it will ship the next week. Tony was a stand up guy, sad to see this happening.

I just get tired and suspicious of the one post posters bashing and knowing all, know what I mean ??

Absolutely know what you mean. Always suspicious of any first time poster singing praises or slamming someone.

Just sad. I love my LBLB but at this point it's just not worth the risk or headache IMO.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Mississippi river rat » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:11 am

First off the only reason this is my first post is because I have never needed to post on here before. I saw the topic when doing research to see if I could find out what is going on and why I wasn't getting any response from Kelly. Three dogs get a life just because someone has a first time post doesn't mean they are a turd or a basher if you look at what has been going on Kelly has been doing a bad job and not been taking care of his business. I am here just saying what has happened so someone else doesn't get screwed over and be out alot of money without getting a boat it’s not how you run a business. I wouldn't have even posted if I could get a response out of Kelly but since he can’t take a little time and do that I was left with no other alternative. I did this hoping that he would get back to me and get me my product that has been paid for and then some. If he could do that people wouldn't be on here with the same type of situations going on.
Mississippi river rat
Newb

Postby blackrock » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:35 pm

image.jpg
We had a great weekend with our new Big Brother! Limits on ducks both days, we had Mallards, Wigeons, Gadwalls, Teal and a few Redheads and geese. Blue skies, calm and we were still able to get it done. I really like this boat, we put some decoys on top to break things up. Thanks Kelly!
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:41 pm

image.jpg
We built a rack to carry the LBLB on top of the jet boat. This works great, easy launching and it's always ready to go, storage underneath.
blackrock
hunter

Postby Yellowdogs » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:11 am

Does anyone have updated contact information for the company. The website does not seem to be working and the 385-228-2476 box is full and will not accept any messages. I was thinking about buying one of these boats when Tony sort of handed me off to Kelly. It was left that he was going to contact me when he had a few details worked out and then all communication ended.
Last edited by Yellowdogs on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yellowdogs
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:39 am

Yellowdogs wrote:Does anyone have updated contact information for the company. The website does seem to be working and the 385-228-2476 box is full and will not accept any messages. I was thinking about buying one of these boats this fall and contacted Kelly. It was left that he was going to contact me when he had a few details worked out and then all communication ended.

Heeeeeeeere we go again.... :no:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:38 pm

I also love these boats. I got a chance to use them Opening day here and we had a lot of fun hunting puddlers out of them (A first for me)

Heres our opening day consisting of blue skies and glass like conditions:

Wish I could have gotten pics the second day but we had a down poor like conditions. We had 2-3 foot chop that we were gunning in; I personally have never seen the teal so thick! We had a absolute ball chasing them.
Last edited by Nelliboy2 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:42 am

That's a mean set up...
Lot's of hens in that pile ey?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Yeah, we actually saw very few drake GW opening weekend. The second day we took two drakes that was it. There were probably more but at shooting time they were just little black blobs. :lol3:
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:55 pm

image.jpg
Here we go again! My buddy from AZ came up excited to try for his first Canada. Thanks to a classic duck weather day, clouds of birds and the Lake Bonneville he shot his limit in no time! Waves were a little wild later, but he stayed dry in the Big Brother. I do need to buy some more duck shells though.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:37 am

That looks shallow.....right? there's gotta be a way to get up into the lee of the wind no?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:04 am

image.jpg
Slack, yeah it's all shallow at this end of the lake. That's where the birds all are. I chose to set up where we could wade this day, so it would be quicker to set up. Saved about 20 runs up and down in the wind dropping anchors. There's not much lee on the lake, the wind runs all the way down the lake, and its wide open! Some days are too rough to do this..... Then it's either mud flats, small water or jump shooting!
blackrock
hunter

Postby TX-Carl » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:18 pm

blackrock wrote:
image.jpg
We had a great weekend with our new Big Brother! Limits on ducks both days, we had Mallards, Wigeons, Gadwalls, Teal and a few Redheads and geese. Blue skies, calm and we were still able to get it done. I really like this boat, we put some decoys on top to break things up. Thanks Kelly!

That looks badass!! Duck season opens this weekend in Texas. I hope to post some similar pics later on this season when the ducks move out to the open water in the bays.
TX-Carl
hunter

Postby TX-Carl » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Mississippi river rat wrote:First off the only reason this is my first post is because I have never needed to post on here before. I saw the topic when doing research to see if I could find out what is going on and why I wasn't getting any response from Kelly. Three dogs get a life just because someone has a first time post doesn't mean they are a turd or a basher if you look at what has been going on Kelly has been doing a bad job and not been taking care of his business. I am here just saying what has happened so someone else doesn't get screwed over and be out alot of money without getting a boat it’s not how you run a business. I wouldn't have even posted if I could get a response out of Kelly but since he can’t take a little time and do that I was left with no other alternative. I did this hoping that he would get back to me and get me my product that has been paid for and then some. If he could do that people wouldn't be on here with the same type of situations going on.

I've deal with Kelly first hand and unfortunately when it comes to making boats and getting them shipped out a lot of unexpected things can happen. I also know that Kelly had recently had some health issues within his family so as of right now i would give him benefit of the doubt. Your position is not fun to be in but I can assure you that he will come through. You will also absolutely love the quality of the boat when you get it!
TX-Carl
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:25 am

So Mississippi what's the status? Did you get your boat?
blackrock
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:58 pm

The person I knew waiting has received theirs. Basically 3 months late. Hopefully things run smoother going forward.
g_maxson
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds