Inspect your life jackets

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Inspect your life jackets

Postby tod0987 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:40 am

If you use an inflatable lifevest it does not count unless it is being worn.

Also check your flares. Expired flares must be discarded or kept separate from good ones. If you want to keep them in your kit anyway (with new ones) they must be kept separated and visibly marked as expired. That is what the USCG guys told me when boarded for a routine check awhile back at the beach.
tod0987
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:13 am

thanks for the tips gents ... Keep'em coming!
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:29 pm

If your boat is under 16ft you don't have to have flares just saying. Earlier this summer when I went up lake saint clair in michigan to fish I got checked and didn't have flares. Didn't know they were required he actually looked it up since my boat was under 16ft they weren't required. Although there good to have I have put some in the boat. But just figured I'd throw it the info out there.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Life jackets save lives, don't skimp. One of my part time summer jobs is an assistant harbor master, and was out last week and a boater had fallen off his sail boat and no one else was on board, he was luckily wearing a PFD that had a whistle and I was in the right spot at the right time. Flares, fire extinguisher and radio and let people know we're you are heading out to and your expected time of return.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby Sandor27 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:42 am

handyandy wrote:If your boat is under 16ft you don't have to have flares just saying.

Not entirely a true statement. This is a duck hunting chat, so presumably you are using your boat for duck hunting at some point during nightime hours. Regulations require all boats over 16' operating in coast guard waters (coastal, great lakes)to have daytime and nightime distress signals, but boats under 16' are exempt from daytime requirements. This means you NEED and are REQUIRED by law to have flares or other approved nightime distress signals on your boat when operating between sunset and sunrise. Just sayin...

See page 17
http://www.uscgboating.org/fedreqs/default.html
It's a good read just to be up on regs and maritime info.

You also need a few other things like a type IV throw cushion if your boat is over 16'. Here in Delaware we are required to have one regardless of boat length. So I have one on my 14' Jon.
Sandor27
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:39 pm

Well dang I guess the OP deleted his post. My post was a response.

Yea Sandor27 you're right on the flares. I found that same brochure. Too many lawyers involved :no: . In the end just keep some and one doesn't have to worry about this and that. Too many gray areas if you diver hunt along the coast.

Over my experience the USCG guys are much nicer than the Marine Fisheries or game wardens that I've run into.
tod0987
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:42 pm

life jackets are no use to you if you are thrown from boat and they are stowed away inside it. lost a great mate that way a few years back. the kill cord on your outboard may be a pain in the butt if its too short but if Tony was connected to his the 3 of those guy may well still be alive today. another thing most guys dont know...ski vest type jackets WONT keep you afloat if you are knocked out...they help with buoyancy but arent enough to keep you from sinking. I have a good life jacket for each of my family and 2 older but still good quality jackets we use when shooting. I took padding from my shooting shoulder and stuffed it in elsewhere. keeps me afloat fine but allows me to shoulder gun properly.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Spunky » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:04 am

Here in Pennsylvania if the life jacket isn't in perfect condition you will get a fine or warning. Little tears and rips are not acceptable. One thing I do for my own safety is wear a life preserver that is the brightest color that I can find. Much easier to be spoted in a bright color one than a camoflaged one. When I get to where I'm going I'll swith to the camo one and put the bright one in a bag. I also have a light that is pinned to the vest. It makes it easier to be spotted at night.
Spunky
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:14 pm

Sandor27 wrote:
handyandy wrote:If your boat is under 16ft you don't have to have flares just saying.

Not entirely a true statement. This is a duck hunting chat, so presumably you are using your boat for duck hunting at some point during nightime hours. Regulations require all boats over 16' operating in coast guard waters (coastal, great lakes)to have daytime and nightime distress signals, but boats under 16' are exempt from daytime requirements. This means you NEED and are REQUIRED by law to have flares or other approved nightime distress signals on your boat when operating between sunset and sunrise. Just sayin...

See page 17
http://www.uscgboating.org/fedreqs/default.html
It's a good read just to be up on regs and maritime info.

You also need a few other things like a type IV throw cushion if your boat is over 16'. Here in Delaware we are required to have one regardless of boat length. So I have one on my 14' Jon.

Well I stand corrected. Sorry I didn't know the night time rule about flares I only deal with cost guard and safety regulations occasionally. Here in Indiana it's not as big of deal being we have no cost. It doesn't mean I or anyone else shouldn't follow them. Like I said I try to be safe I have since that checking when I didn't have flares have put them in my boat. I should be better though about wearing a life vest and using my engine safety lanyard. They are a pain I'm sure I'm not the only one who think so, but they do save lives.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:08 am

after my mates drowned we went straight in and bought new lifejackets. the reflecting strips show up well in a search light from miles away.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds