paint problem

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

paint problem

Postby stephenputnal » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Okay so I have spent many hours stripping paint, sanding, and then washing my gheenoe.(i want this paint job to last a WHILE) i then used rust-o-leum primer in the spray can form to coat most everything with 2 coats. i noticed that when i wiped my hand across the floor alot of it came off on my hands. After i washed it down real good it doesn't seem to come off anymore and i touched up where need be. Only telling you this so you know how i prepped for paint. My question is about H.S. Specialties enamel paint, i bought a few cans of spray paint and liked how that applied on, but it seemed to come off in places. So i went and bought a quart to see if brush application would work better. The first can had a big glob in the bottom so i said screw trying to mix that up and ordered a new quart online. I mixed it, maybe not enough, but the globby stuff seems to stick to whatever im stirring with. iit painted a small area of the metal rail and side but a day later it looks glossy and it didn't dry right. what the hell am i doing wrong???? if anyone has used the h.s. camo paint advice would be appreciated. i was thinking the enamel paint would be tougher??
stephenputnal
hunter

Re: paint problem

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:44 pm

That glob was the paint settling out. Take it to a paint store and have them shake it for you. They make a two part primer for aluminum that works really well. I have used it multiple times and each time I have been able to top coat with the paint of my choice, me, I like Parker's duck boat paints. I was my aluminum with soap and water using a scotch brite pad, then scuff with a new pad, prime, let cure a couple of days, lightly scuff and then use the faux finish rollers to paint. No issues so far and some paint jobs are several years old.

Brought to you by Sham Wow
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:49 pm

I too had a big glob of paint 2 yrs ago when painting my boat with HS specialties quarts. The glob would never redissolve into solution no matter what. I painted one side and it wouldn't cure just skin over so I scraped it off, cleaned and rescuffed. Took it back and got another quart, same thing, but got most of the paint to dissolve and stick. I brushed and rolled it on not thick at all just like painting walls and it took over a month to cure out hard. For a couple weeks I could put a finger nail dent in it. I then got busy with work for awhile and by the time I got back to it, it had cured hard. It is still on the boat and has held up pretty good against abrasions.

In the end I found out in talking to a paint guy that it was old paint and had set of the shelf too long.

I'd go with Parker's, never used it but do hear people talk good things about it. I know I will on the next paint job.
tod0987
hunter

Postby stephenputnal » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks for the advice y'all! i think i am going to bypass the h.s. specialties globbing problems and go with parkers or the rust-o-leum spray paint i like the look of those a bit better and definetely can't wait a month since early seasons right around the corner!
stephenputnal
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:51 pm

Yea camo spray paint isn't durable at all. And if you need a good paint mixer, I made one out of a coat hanger and put it in my power drill. Worked great :thumbsup: good luck on the project!
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby stephenputnal » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:21 am

haha. how did you attach the coat hanger to ur power drill??? i still have that paint but am currently using rustoleum spray in their olive like color. if that doesn't hold up then im going to find somewhere or someway to mix the h.s.camo paint i bought after early season
stephenputnal
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Take a wire coat hanger, clip the hook off right where twisting ends, then pull, and twist inward, then put the twisted wire end into the drill like a drill bit. works great, but do it for a while just to be safe. Let me know how it goes!
Attachments
clydes game calls 152.jpg
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby stephenputnal » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:42 pm

okay that seems simple enough, il try it and see if that works. thanks
stephenputnal
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:08 pm

A long allen wrench works wonders as a stirrer, t handle even better.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:11 pm

How'd it work?
DuckManClyde
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds