Evinrude fans!! I have a problem!!!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Evinrude fans!! I have a problem!!!

Postby stealfeathers » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Whether you like evinrudes or not, if you have any suggestions on what my next step should be in finding my problem please chime in!!!!!

Picked up a 1986 evinrude 6hp tiller handle for the layout boat. It ran for a good twenty minutes straight when I went to go buy the thing ( btw I didn't pay much for the motor ) .. I got it home and ran it some more and all of a sudden it got harder to crank up. 2 pulls went to ten, and ten went to thirty. Once it got to running it was good... Until I killed it on purpose.

I took it to the river to run around and it pushed the layout 8 mph. It felt like it wanted to have more power just couldn't. I killed it and couldn't get it started. I took it home and pulled the carb out and the float was HORRIBLE!!!! It was falling apart. So I rebuilt/ and cleaned the carb. I hooked it back up and still hard to crank but it would eventually.

It literally takes about 50-70 pulls at the rapid rate to get the motor to crank. I hook it up to a corded drill and it cranks in a heartbeat but only choked. Even after it was just running.

It's getting fuel, it's getting spark.

Could it be the nob saying lean and rich. ?? Idk !

If you know please respond . I will sleep good at night if I can fix it without taking it to a mechanic and getting ripped!!
stealfeathers
hunter

Re: Evinrude fans!! I have a problem!!!

Postby Boatman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:10 pm

head gasket,check the compresson

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:31 am

stealfeathers wrote:It literally takes about 50-70 pulls at the rapid rate to get the motor to crank.

you're going to have a heart attack
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:44 am

If compression isn't good, what wold be the steps to fix it
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:45 am

Go here, then to "Ask a Member", these guy are great.
http://www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

BTW is your gas tank vented properly?
There is no unity in "diversity"

Member NRA
Member Ducks Unlimited
Art Vandelay
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:17 pm

stealfeathers wrote:If compression isn't good, what wold be the steps to fix it

are you telling us the compression is bad?

compression is the most important trait for a motor...if you have compression and good spark.... everything else is usually easy...even getting spark isnt too bad, especially on small older motors like yours....but bad compression....makes it a parts motor..... you could have a timing issue..... compression , gas and spark.....the motor should run right off...if it doesnt... then you have timing and Or flooding issues....if you need to choke it when its warm to start....then it might be running lean......there are several adjustments on the linkage that effect when the cam arm on the timing plate hits certain parts of the linkage in combination with the amount of throttle plate movement....sometimes guys adjust the crap out of everything they see that is adjustable...and its all out of SYNC......you may need to do a LYNC and SYNC.....first get a factory manual.... or go to :http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Outboard%20Motor%20Related/OMC%20outboard%20related%20articles.html

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Outboar ... icles.html

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:18 pm

stealfeathers wrote:If compression isn't good, what wold be the steps to fix it

If it's just a head gasket,that is common, It's not bad. Change head gasket and surface head and block flat. If it's a piston or bad cylinder that's a big problem,and as stated a parts motor.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Spunky » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:44 pm

Remove the nob for the lean adjustment. PLace a flat head screw driver in the slot and slow tighten, just till it stops, back out 3/4 a turn will get the adjustment back where it should be. I would change plugs and go to an auto parts store and get a compression tester(some will let use one free) give each cyclinder about 7-10 pulls and both cyclinders should be with 10 or 15 of each other. If there close it's not the head gasket. Did you swap out the fuel line and primer bulb? Check the small screen in the tank for junk, is the vent open. Check coils for cracks. When running was there a water discharge? did you check fuel pump, sometimes they will get a small hole in the diaphram and give you all kinds of trouble.
Did you try starting at night with the cover off to see if it's sparking somewhere?

Here's an exploded veiw of the motor where the coils and such are displayed http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns ... on=Magneto
Spunky
hunter

Postby decoying » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:52 pm

You probly already got ripped. Buy a new motor.
decoying
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:46 pm

Some of you didn't read my first post. I can start it very easy with a drill on the fly wheel and it runs good . Just a pain to pull start. I've never had a motor so hard to pull start .

And "decoying". Good for you if something you have doesn't work you can buy a new one. Not everybody has that kind of luxury.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:39 am

stealfeathers wrote:Some of you didn't read my first post. I can start it very easy with a drill on the fly wheel and it runs good . Just a pain to pull start. I've never had a motor so hard to pull start .

And "decoying". Good for you if something you have doesn't work you can buy a new one. Not everybody has that kind of luxury.

if it is so hard to start, your rewind assy is probably crudded up or misaligned....or both.....the gear isnt spinning easily on its post and it dragging..making the rpm of the pull much lower than you need....id guess.....

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:01 am

stealfeathers wrote:Some of you didn't read my first post. I can start it very easy with a drill on the fly wheel and it runs good . Just a pain to pull start. I've never had a motor so hard to pull start .

So you need to take a drill with you when you run it. :huh: 50-70 pulls to start it? There is something wrong. If it won't start in 2-3 pulls you have a problem Houston.

I love Geese

Boatman
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:15 pm

check the compression and get back to us. Like boatman and others have said it will tell you a lot. Whenever I look at buying engine or anything with one be it a boat outboard, car, lawn mower, weed wacker, chainsaw, anything with a engine I always bring tools to remove the spark plug/s and a compression gauge. I always check the compression before buying presuming the current owner is alright with it. Most people are as long as you don't mess something up. If they aren't ok with it thats usually a sign to walk away. You can use a cheap harbor freight one they work just fine it's what I have. Like I said there good to have to check other engines on things you may buy in the future. It can save you from wasting a lot of money on a mistake. It should have close to 100psi or more in each cylinder in order to run worth a crap at all. They should be with 5psi of each other if everything is good. If they aren't close to 100psi or more than that there is a problem, and you will need to remove the head to inspect and find out what it is the problem. The head shouldn't be to hard to remove on that engine. I think the HF compression gauge is around 20-25 dollars its money well spent. It has saved me from buying lots of things that had engines that were pretty much done.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:32 pm

I will buy a compression gauge and let you know!
stealfeathers
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds