four wheeler engine mudmotor build

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby midwesthunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Link?
midwesthunter
hunter
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:09 pm
Location: Rose Hill, KS


Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:01 pm

gearhead80 wrote:[That 200cc quad engine and trans weighs around 60lbs. Your utility honda 13hp engine weighs anywhere from 60-80 depending on configuration. Put it this way, an entire XR 200 honda dirtbike only weighs 222lbs. So try again at your twice the weight.. All I know is I could take my 450cc quad motor and trans out and throw it around. I'd be suprised if it weighed 100lbs at 50hp.


Couple of things you're forgetting; Your quad motor has no internal ignition coil, no built-in fuel tank, and no built-in exhaust system, no airbox/filter. The utility engine has all those things.
You are guessing at the weights, my friend, and made-up numbers don't prove much. I weighed my 13hp Honda engine on my Mudbuddy and it weighed 48 lbs. It has ignition, fuel tank, airbox/filter, and muffler on it.
You may have been able throw around your 450cc quad engine, but it had none of the stuff it needs to actually run. I stand by my statement.

T-man, when are you coming to CB for our hunt? :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6194
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby threedogs » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:27 pm

T Man wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:T Man is correct.

BTW, there use to be a mudboat builder here that build the "Way-Maker" Mudboat. This mudboat had aninfinitely adjustable variable pitch prop assembly. You had a lever you could position anywhere from 9" pitch forward to -4" pitch reverse. That is how you shift gears on water..... :thumbsup:

Best pic. I could find of the prop assembly:
Image
those blades rotate pitch....


A legit mud boat, way cool. I am curious about the variable pitch setup on a mud boat. From what I have read, the variable pitch props are finicky, and are somewhat delicate on small applications. I would be worried about the mud and silt getting into the gearing leading to excessive wear.



Land & Sea used to make a variable prop, It didn't work for beans....
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Mexizona

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:45 pm

threedogs wrote:
T Man wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:T Man is correct.

BTW, there use to be a mudboat builder here that build the "Way-Maker" Mudboat. This mudboat had aninfinitely adjustable variable pitch prop assembly. You had a lever you could position anywhere from 9" pitch forward to -4" pitch reverse. That is how you shift gears on water..... :thumbsup:

Best pic. I could find of the prop assembly:
Image
those blades rotate pitch....


A legit mud boat, way cool. I am curious about the variable pitch setup on a mud boat. From what I have read, the variable pitch props are finicky, and are somewhat delicate on small applications. I would be worried about the mud and silt getting into the gearing leading to excessive wear.



Land & Sea used to make a variable prop, It didn't work for beans....

this one works. It has a patent on it, but that patent might have run out by now....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58777
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby mud777 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:08 am

mud777
hunter
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:52 pm

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby mud777 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:10 am

mud777
hunter
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:52 pm

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby threedogs » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:45 am

Get em Justin, looking good!
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Mexizona

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby beaunelli » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:27 pm

motor looks good and looks like itll work tell all the "mud motor engineers'' that are commenting on this to go fly a kite.
beaunelli
hunter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby whaknstak » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:03 pm

I wouldn't suggest flying a kite until we see a video of it in the water......
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
User avatar
whaknstak
hunter
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: N Florida

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby T Man » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:26 pm

beaunelli wrote:motor looks good and looks like itll work tell all the "mud motor engineers'' that are commenting on this to go fly a kite.


No one is contesting that it will provide forward propulsion. Perhaps you should attempt to read what us armchair engineers have posted with an attempt yo understand the physics involved before you tell us to fly a kite. Making it work and make it work well enough to justify reinventing the wheel are two different things. I want to see it in mud, it is a mud motor after all.

Op, what rpm did you pitch your prop to

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6087
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby duckslayer74 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:51 pm

I personally think it's a pretty cool project and I'd bet it will work better than expected. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
User avatar
duckslayer74
hunter
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Harrisville, UT

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:08 pm

I, too, think it is a very cool project and give Justin a big attaboy for the undertaking.
I think it will work less well than expected, but it should get him where he wants to go. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6194
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby handyandy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:40 pm

some awesome redneck engineering there. Hope it works well reverse will be cool if nothing else.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:39 am
Location: crothersville IN

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby THETANK01 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:49 pm

Sob! Me and brother were just taking about doing this. Mad props to the OP. Great idea. If it works for you I will start my adventure shortly after. Possibly using an electric shift 250cc recon motor. Great idea man.
THETANK01
hunter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby T Man » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:18 pm

mudpack wrote:I, too, think it is a very cool project and give Justin a big attaboy for the undertaking.
I think it will work less well than expected, but it should get him where he wants to go. :thumbsup:


This sums up all of my posts on this thread.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6087
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby okduckdude » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:30 am

Boats are meant to be in water or on mud. Mud motors are meant to run in water or on mud.


Thus, your running your motor on dry ground with the boat still on the trailer..... I AM NOT IMPRESSED... Anyone can tack some pipe together, attack some bearings, and a motor allowing it to give the appearance it works all while on land.


That being said, I will not be impressed until you post a video of it in the water...... :no:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
User avatar
okduckdude
hunter
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:28 am

okduckdude wrote:Boats are meant to be in water or on mud. Mud motors are meant to run in water or on mud.


Thus, your running your motor on dry ground with the boat still on the trailer..... I AM NOT IMPRESSED... Anyone can tack some pipe together, attack some bearings, and a motor allowing it to give the appearance it works all while on land.


That being said, I will not be impressed until you post a video of it in the water...... :no:



And so with this statement I see that a lawnmower engine shouldn't have been used for a boat engine either. :huh: . Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black. Everyone can criticize over the computer and never try something on their own. But hey, Thomas Edison was told he was crazy too...
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:58 am
Location: ogle county

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby brickgw » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:40 am

To Hell with the bickering I wanna see how it performs.
User avatar
brickgw
hunter
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby whaknstak » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:53 am

gearhead80 wrote:
okduckdude wrote:Boats are meant to be in water or on mud. Mud motors are meant to run in water or on mud.


Thus, your running your motor on dry ground with the boat still on the trailer..... I AM NOT IMPRESSED... Anyone can tack some pipe together, attack some bearings, and a motor allowing it to give the appearance it works all while on land.


That being said, I will not be impressed until you post a video of it in the water...... :no:



And so with this statement I see that a lawnmower engine shouldn't have been used for a boat engine either. :huh: . Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black. Everyone can criticize over the computer and never try something on their own. But hey, Thomas Edison was told he was crazy too...


I think you missed his point. Showing a video of it running on the trailer means nothing, other than he connected it and the motor runs. Only when it is proven to actually work in the environment it is intended (in the marsh) will it show whether or not it will work. Post up a video of it on plane shifting gears and put an end to the debate.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
User avatar
whaknstak
hunter
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: N Florida

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:15 am

Looked like his point was to be an ***. The guy was just posting a video of his progress like people have asked. Tired of people just being blatant a-holes about something different. Didn't know this was the "shoot people's ideas down and tell them it's stupid" board.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:58 am
Location: ogle county

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby whaknstak » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:24 am

gearhead80 wrote:Looked like his point was to be an ***. The guy was just posting a video of his progress like people have asked. Tired of people just being blatant a-holes about something different. Didn't know this was the "shoot people's ideas down and tell them it's stupid" board.


But that wasn't the content of your last post. You can disagree with the delivery, but his point is valid.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
User avatar
whaknstak
hunter
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: N Florida

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:47 am

Yea to him, he didn't start the thread so it doesn't matter what I say to him. I was just making a valid point, not shooting down the guy who started the threads' progress. There is a difference...
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:58 am
Location: ogle county

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby mudpack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:17 pm

gearhead80 wrote: he didn't start the thread so it doesn't matter what I say to him. ...

You might want to run that by the moderators before you do something really dumb.

gearhead80 wrote: I was just making a valid point, not shooting down the guy who started the threads' progress. There is a difference...

Actually, I think okduckdude was also making a valid point. Just because the position doesn't agree with yours doesn't mean its not valid.
And you? Were you not "shooting down" someone's position? Yes; pot/kettle.

Opinions: that's all they are, none is worth any more than the next.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6194
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yea.. :fingerhead:
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:58 am
Location: ogle county

Re: four wheeler engine mudmotor build

Postby brickgw » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:59 am

Any word on how this turned out?
User avatar
brickgw
hunter
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:40 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests