Starter

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Starter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:26 pm

I have a regular ole horizontal motor on my mud motor shaft.

So today while scouting I made a tight turn and some water came over the transom. Some water got on the battery and clamps because of it. After getting back on the boat after some messing around it started right up, I got back to the truck, backed the trailer down, turned the key and nothing.....

I checked all the connections, dried the connections and reconnected, checked the oil, everything!

I think my starter might be fried or something but I thought I would run it by some of you to diagnose. I am at wits end.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Re: Starter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Isolate the starter from the motors electrics and jump the starter with a known good battery. I doubt the starter is bad. You may have a tripped circuit breaker. You may have had a dead short that drew down the battery from the water. Test your battery with a known battery tester. A good carbon pile is useful for this. Your key or solenoid need to be isolated and tested individually as well.

Good luck!

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Re: Starter

Postby okduckdude » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:22 pm

I checked the battery and it was at 80%.

However I did get it working. I manually started it then right after I shut it off got on the starter and it cranked. I turned the key after shutting it off completely and it cranked right up....

So I don't know what it was, but it seems to be working now.

Thanks for the tips though, I may need them later on. :thumbsup:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds