17ft Starcraft Aluminum Bass Boss

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

17ft Starcraft Aluminum Bass Boss

Postby mlasal1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:08 pm

I have recently bought this 1989 Starcraft and have been slowly working on getting it in good shape. I will be using it to get to and from my camp in the atchafalaya spillway where i fish and duck hunt. I mostly park the boat and walk into my spot or pirogue in, so i figured this would be a good boat to load guys and gear in and also tools to work the property the camp is on, and still be a fishing machine in the summer First goal was to make it reliable, so I went through the motor. Its a 1989 Mercury 45hp Classic 50. Carb rebuilds, new fuel lines. plug wires, power pack, starter etc. Have done spark check and compression check. Both excellent. I have it running good i think, but it seems powerless. I know its a little small motor for the boat, but im topping out at around 21 mph with 2 guys an light fishing gear. Has to be dang near wide open to get all the way on plane. I was expecting atleast 27-29. Weigh of the boat seems in check, no soggy foam, 1 battery, no trolling motor, etc. Prop is 12 pitch, and the prop shop said it should be a good match on my boat. Ive been on a lot of boats, but mostly high powered bass boats/bay boats or crawfish skiffs/mud boats. This is my first time driving a mod v alum. bass boat, so i dont know what to expect. I feel like it should be more powerful and faster. Is it just underpowered, or is something not in tune on my motor??? What can i check to get this thing moving?
Heres a pic to help you get an idea of the boat..

mlasal1
Newb

Re: 17ft Starcraft Aluminum Bass Boss

Postby tod0987 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:12 pm

I think you have an issue with your outboard that 45hp should have you moving. You might have a spun prop?

I have a 1752 lowe modified V from 1992 which is very simlar to your hull. I had a 25hp on it until last week (upgrade to 50hp) for the last 3 years and got up on plane with 4 people (took about 100 yds but got up), 6 no but 4 yes. With 2 people we moved at around 20 mph and with just myself I gps'd 23 mph and when on plane the water met the hull right at my side console. Both times were going through the same section of river and both with the current at around 2 mph, river levels were low and moving slow.
tod0987
hunter

Postby gahunter706 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:36 pm

You should be able to get more than 21mph. I have a g3 1756 mod v with a mercury 40hp and it will run 27mph with 2 people and fishing gear.
gahunter706
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:10 am

What is your RPM at WOT? 12 pitch seems awfully shallow for that big of a motor. I am running a 13p on my 25 merc pushing a 1652 and seeing almost 30mph.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:46 am

BT PT175 w/40HP Merc and 10 1/4 x 14 prop. Top end at 5200 RPMs with just me is 33-34 m.p.h.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby mlasal1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:18 am

Thank you for the responses. I now know that most likely something isnt right an i can track it down. Btw, spark was checked by jumping a 1/2in gap with a tester. Strong an blue. Merc says 7/16 is oem. Compression was 125 +- 3. I need to get a tach for cheap an figure out if its at max rpms. Im pretty familiar with engines, an id say its running close to wide open, but honestly its really hard to tell. It drfinetly doesnt scream like it was underpropped or in neautral. I am gonna try to clean the carbon frim the exhaust out next. Idk if its choked up, but it cant hurt. Any ideas on how to clean it out? I was thinking carb cleaner??? Also where can i get a cheap reliable tach? Doesnt have to be permenant. Handheld is fine as long as its accurate an useable in a moving boat
mlasal1
Newb

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds