trailer it right

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

trailer it right

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:31 am

I see a lot of goofy trailers and boats.
Something obvious like not having the right drop on the receiver where the hitch is 8" higher than the trailer axle is common or the opposite extreme.
Safety straps are not there.
I used to be pretty bad about this stuff myself until I ran into a bridge, my boat fell off, and was totalled.
Better straps would saved a really nice seaark.
Keep it safe and double check everything three times. :thumbsup:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Re: trailer it right

Postby handyandy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:47 pm

No kidding the other day I hit a good bump didn't realize my trailer tongue wasn't holding tight on the ball the bolt to adjust it had worked a little loose I guess. Anyways hit sad bump trailer popped off the ball thankfully I had good safety chains and good straps on the boat. The only damage was a broken trailer jack handle, jack wheel, and some scrapes on the tongue no big deal. Could have been a lot worse had I not had good straps and chains.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Yes good advice.
If your boat doesn't have one a strap across the stern holding it down is helpfull also.
I to have had the trailer disconnect on my 23' saltwater boat. Safety chains saved my boat. A handy man jack helped me get it back on.
Another handy item is a spare trailer tire and a jack that works with your boat trailer. I have a handyman jack and a factory made device that has straps with hooks to help in lifting trailers etc. Not all car jacks work with boat trailers.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:55 pm

With my layout boat and trailer I make sure I have a back up scenario for each strap. If one strap fails there's a backup strap. In the unlikely case all 3 fail theres a steel cable to keep the boat attached to the trailer. Another thing is a lot of people use carabieners to attach the saftey chains to the truck, make sure they can handle the weight of the boat and trailer.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:12 am

I know my choice of trailer was poor for my Marsh Rat, but it was made in haste. I have a new Smith trailer ordered but doubt it will be put to use before the big duck season. The combination of a cheap trailer from Northern Tool, paid $100 on Craigslist, and wanting/needing a trailer immediately lead to my odd set up.

The original owner got rid of the runners and mounts, making it even more difficult to outfit for the Rat. I have safety chains, a turnbuckle tie-down in front, guides and a custom rear harness made from 3/8" bungee cord, conduit and pipe insulation to keep the boat down on the boards, being sub 80lbs with the grass and cover, it tends to bounce quite easily.

I agree, you really can't over think this aspect, especially if you're trailering over long distances.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:18 pm

The trailer you have for that marsh rat may not be meant for it, but sounds like you secure it to the trailer well and use good chains. Thats really what counts assuming the trailer it's self isn't falling apart and it doesn't appear to be.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds