Mud Buddy VS Go Devil

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Mud Buddy VS Go Devil

Postby IaDuckHunter » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:22 pm

Mud Buddy Hyperdrive vs. Go Devil long shaft I have a Go Devil and it does a great job but am getting a 20X56 boat was wondering how the Hyper drive 35 HP would do in real shallow water almost complete mud the go devil gets me thru it ok but wont be big enough for the larger boat
IaDuckHunter
hunter

Postby jhixf564 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:30 pm

The 35 hyper will not only get you through it , but will do it faster and is so much easier to run it is absurd. If you like Go-Devil products, they are coming out with a shortail sometime this year.

justin
There are 3 things needed for a good life, a good woman, a good job, and a good lab.

The first two are optional
jhixf564
Newb

Thanks

Postby IaDuckHunter » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:17 am

Was hoping that it would get me thru it
Yea seen there new short drive doesnt look as good as the mud buddies thou I think
Thanks for the input thou
IaDuckHunter
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:00 am

I run a 35 HyperDrive on a 18 x 54" GatorTrax. My buddy runs the 31 HP on a 18 x 48" Lowe. You will need plenty of HP to push your big hull. Be thinking 35. MudBuddy, GoDevil (this year) and GatorTail all make similar design shorttails and all offer or will offer the big Vanguard 35.

I have beat the everloving cr*p out of my Hyper this year and it had done very well. I think the belt drive system is simple yet robust. The props will take a beating as well.

There is no comparison between driving a longtail and a shorttail. With all respect to longtails, once you try a shorttail you will never go back.

MudBuddy is coming out with new models featuring neutral this year so if that is an important feature to you wait until March.

By the way, with a hull that big, you will do considerably better with a shorttail than your longtail, but don't expect to win any speed races, especially if you put three big bubbas and all their gear in the boat.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby swamp_runner » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:52 am

I am on the market for a mud motor and potentially a new boat.

I have been reading all that I can about all of the motors on the market. But need more info.

Leaning to the short shaft, however have not decided on what brand. I know beavertail has one as does mud buddy. What are the pro's and cons of each? Calling the manufacture is a waste of time because they will not tell ya the problems with thier brand. But rather the problems with the competetitors.

Since I have never ran one before or for that matter a long shaft. I am extremely inexpericned with this matter.

I have been duck hunting for 25 years and always watched with envey as those with mud motors blew past me as I pulled my boat through the shallows so I could motor again. Only to repeat this at the next shalow hole.
swamp_runner
Newb

Postby leaky wader » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:43 pm

That is a pretty good size hull you plan on strappin a short tail to. Only short tail that is gonna work for you is a tandem setup--TWINS! MB will have a twin set up this year in the Hyper--twin 23 B&S vanguards. Wish I could tell ya that a single 35 Hyper would be ok for that hull but I'd be lyin to ya. Had a feller that wanted to hang one off of his 20x54 and after consulting with Glenn( MB Pres.), it was decided that he would be ok unloaded, but loaded down, he'd be hurtin. Soooooooo, twins would be the only way to go with a hull of that size. just some food for thought.
Quit crankin on that wheel and get this thing moving!!
leaky wader
hunter

Postby Nab » Sun May 22, 2005 8:22 pm

I spoke with GD the other day - I am a dealer - and they have run the 2056 GD boat with the new 35hp surface drive - they have been getting well over 25mph with 3 people in deep water - you will not need twins if you got this way!
Nab
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun May 22, 2005 11:18 pm

go devils rock :thumbsup: go devil or nothing.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckcrazy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:46 pm

I have 25 hp.koler longtail mudbuddy and its badass.
Its on a 17' 48" allweld slick bottom . I want to get the new hiper drive
shortail. My buddy tells my the shorttail runs much better and is easer to
drive. Im going to go take a test drive in it and see hoe good it is.
duckcrazy
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds