Sneak boat doors?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Sneak boat doors?

Postby alan0260 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:12 pm

About 2 months ago I picked up a small sailboat for 75 bucks, got some plywood and fiberglass and went to work. I think the hard part is done, all the major modifications and paint, even the avery grass and oar locks are about where I think they should be. I do need some ideas on how to put doors on the cockpit. I have 3/8" thick plywood running the full length about 3" high. I was planning on mounting the doors to that. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I only have 27 days till my season starts and I need her done by then.

This is the start of the project

After I got the fiberglass, wood, paint, oar locks, and anchor done

Fully netted and grassed out
DU
NRA
OHA
CODE Greenhead
alan0260
hunter

Re: Sneak boat doors?

Postby malrdmasher » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:28 am

Not sure if it would fit for your application but when we built acouple skiffs I used a three person snow sled for sledding. The thick plastic ones ( the thin ones would just brake) it was a three seater cut with a saw down the middle and mounted with two hinges on each side. Bolted the hinges to sled side. Was able to fully close and open and was nice and light wieght. Strong enough to support grass mats and a dog.
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:35 am

I would order doors from tom at four rivers layout boats. screw the brackets on attach the doors and be dun.
coulterville33
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Its easy to do . Two pcs 10' - 1/2 emt, four bimini brackets, one manual pipe bender. Get to work!
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Pond_Hopper » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:57 pm

I used pvc pipe for mine and it works great. I made a middle support for them also, wrapped it in Mossey Oak camo burlap. Zip ties fit right through the weave which is very strong and I was able to zip tie raffia right to the door. Very light weight, my doors detach with 2 screws on each side so when I transport it on my roof racks it doesnt get damaged. So far it looks good, I have not hunted out of it yet though so we will see how it holds up desirability wise. But this way was cheap dollar wise. This was on a kayak.
Pond_Hopper
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Pond_Hopper wrote:I used pvc pipe for mine and it works great. I made a middle support for them also, wrapped it in Mossey Oak camo burlap. Zip ties fit right through the weave which is very strong and I was able to zip tie raffia right to the door. Very light weight, my doors detach with 2 screws on each side so when I transport it on my roof racks it doesnt get damaged. So far it looks good, I have not hunted out of it yet though so we will see how it holds up desirability wise. But this way was cheap dollar wise. This was on a kayak.

Wit til it rains, the dye comes right off on that burlap. At least it did on mine.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Pond_Hopper » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:17 pm

yea I will see how it holds up, its covered in raffia anyways so hopefully it wont matter to much if that does happen. How did you attach all the raffia to your sailboat sneak boat? Just curious.
Pond_Hopper
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:47 pm

I saw a layout blind one time made from a big trash can (the ones on wheels that you put to the curb that trash companies provide). What about cutting the top off below the lid with the hinges still attached? It is plastic, typically green or black and would require less building on your part. The hardest part would be mounting it. If you cut enough, you could probably just screw it to attach.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby alan0260 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks for all the good ideas, I think I'm going to try something like the trashcan or the sled cut in half, and just use small hinges screwed to the sides.

Pond_Hopper wrote:yea I will see how it holds up, its covered in raffia anyways so hopefully it wont matter to much if that does happen. How did you attach all the raffia to your sailboat sneak boat? Just curious.

I used 1" black construction netting, zip tied that to 7 lengths of bungee rope cut to skirt the outer edge of the boat. Its removable, but gets a bit tangled up in storage.
DU
NRA
OHA
CODE Greenhead
alan0260
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:53 pm

alan0260 wrote:Thanks for all the good ideas, I think I'm going to try something like the trashcan or the sled cut in half, and just use small hinges screwed to the sides.

Pond_Hopper wrote:yea I will see how it holds up, its covered in raffia anyways so hopefully it wont matter to much if that does happen. How did you attach all the raffia to your sailboat sneak boat? Just curious.

I used 1" black construction netting, zip tied that to 7 lengths of bungee rope cut to skirt the outer edge of the boat. Its removable, but gets a bit tangled up in storage.

With the trash can,the hinges are already there. Good luck!
scruggs12
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds