What to do when a john boat never had a title

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

What to do when a john boat never had a title

Postby dogyak » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:15 am

Hope someone that might of had the same problem could help . I brought a 8 ft Lowe john boat back in 1982 , titles were not issue with john boats at the time . Just used it to paddle around and fish the small ponds . Gave it to a friend who use it behind his house and he quit using it years ago . Went and pick it up today , in great shape , but got to replace the eng mount area . The problem is now in the state of florida , you have to register the boat if you are going to put a motor on . Will be putting a 6.5 mud motor on it to duck hunt with me and my dog . In florida in order too get register , you've got to have a title and a bill of sale . So how do you get register if you don't have a title or bill of sale on a 31 yr old john with no ser# number also ?
:huh:
dogyak
hunter

Re: What to do when a john boat never had a title

Postby goldfish » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:45 am

What would you do with a boat you built? I'd imagine it's close to the same steps for you. Otherwise I'd ask the dmv or whoever would be issuing the title.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:41 am

Youre goin to pur a 6 horse motor on an 8' boat. Do you need to regester it just to duck hunt out off. If so just tell them same story its an old john boat pulled out weeds.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:55 am

On the transom outside,starboard side it should have a vin #.In 1982 all boats had them.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:01 am

Sent you a pm. call me
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:10 am

hillbilly.. wrote:Youre goin to pur a 6 horse motor on an 8' boat. Do you need to regester it just to duck hunt out off. If so just tell them same story its an old john boat pulled out weeds.

Edit.
It is required by law to be titled, and registered.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:29 am

I got a canoe from an old lady's yard it was her flower pot for decades. No vin. no make. nothing. estimate year 1960-1970. I had to sign some dnr paperwork and Dnr inspected it and issued a new title and new hull numbers. So it must be just like a boat build get it inspected
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:55 am

Bring it to AZ , you can title a tennis shoe in this state..
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:17 pm

apply for a "homemade" title... should make it all much easier
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:41 pm

You guys really should not post about things of which you are not informed. The "advice" given in this thread from people not in his state if followed could bring felony criminal charges. There is a proper, legal way to go about resolving his issue. Lying and committing fraud are not the way to go about it.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby Kismet » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:36 pm

OK, most states just want a track record of boats, in some cases to intercept stolen craft, in others to have a record of ownership for boats which fall under their jurisdiction for motor licensing.

Go the the guy who you got the boat from, give him a token payment, get a signed bill of sale from him, perhaps indicating it is an un-numbered derelict boat he has had for "x" years. Copy it, fill out an application, enclose the fees, and send it to the DNR or whichever agency licenses water craft. Keep a copy for your self and carry it with you. (In Wisconsin, un-numbered boats get assigned a random serial number by the DNR computer and that is used for future titles. They suggest you stencil or get an engraved plate with the new number and affix it to the boat.)

Make your problem the agency's problem. Most likely they have a protocol to solve it.

Small boat, most often, small fee.

Keep us informed. Best wishes.
Kis
For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year long.
Kismet
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:17 pm

In California any vessel on a public or state owned body of water that has a gasoline engine is required to registered with the state. My grandfather built a 17 cabin style boat with a Honda outboard. Naturally the boat was home built and did not have a VIN. The state assigned a Vin at the time of registration. In the notes on the registration paperwork it said, "No Permanent VIN Assigned."

Don't know how it works in Florida, but if you can have a VIN assigned to homemade boat in California, you should be able to do something similar in the great state of Florida. Hope it works out
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby ARduckcwby » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:42 am

I don't know your states law regarding boats, but here in AR, boats do not have titles, but require registration if motorized. Boat here are sold with a bill of sale only. I bought my Jon boat from a guy who used it for a pond boat with no motor. He had never registered it, so there were no hull numbers. He wrote me a bill of sale with the boat serial number, and that was suffient for me to get registered to me.

I'd call your local DMV or revenue dept. and they should help you out.
ARduckcwby
hunter

Postby ARduckcwby » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:46 am

2500hdon37s wrote:apply for a "homemade" title... should make it all much easier

I don't know how this would work. Would you need coast guard ratings?
ARduckcwby
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:53 am

Took care of it this morning , found the serial number on the rotten engine mount board (tin metal tag) . thanks whaknstak for the info sunday . Have the tag and Fed duck stamp in hand , good too go :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:33 pm

dogyak wrote:Took care of it this morning , found the serial number on the rotten engine mount board (tin metal tag) . thanks whaknstak for the info sunday . Have the tag and Fed duck stamp in hand , good too go :thumbsup:

Very good sir! Glad you got it straightened out. Best of luck this year

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:33 pm

I had the same problem, In minnesota a duck boat is only so, if during duck season. So 30 + dollars to get the boat in my name and 12 for the tags so i could go fishing.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds