Painting a fiberglass conversion

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Painting a fiberglass conversion

Postby yukoncornelius » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:45 am

I've read WAY too many paint threads the past few days.

I am creating an old Force 5 sailboat into a 2 man sneak-style boat

will be ready to prep & paint in a day or three

i know i need to sand.....degrease/wash.....flash with acetone or alcohol......that part i've got down

there is some new epoxy in spots....some new glass in spots (poly resin)....some original glass (i'll sand through the gelcoat)...and some wood in spots

i am using parker's sand tan as a base coat......will probably use a Wagner power painter to deliver

my question is.....do i need to prime it? i have read SO much conflicting information, can anyone give an answer based on experience?

some say you HAVE to use an epoxy based primer.....some say any basic automotive grade primer....some say any primer....some say the new plastic fusion stuff.....some will even say killz or bullseye works well........and many more say they've used the parker with all the prep work and no primer, and its worked fine

i need to be painting this weekend....from a weather and dry/bonding standpoint, this will give me enough time for the parker's to set....

what say you?
yukoncornelius
hunter

Re: Painting a fiberglass conversion

Postby yukoncornelius » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:52 am

also thinking of doing below the waterline with the Goop Coat it product......epoxy with kevlar, essentially
yukoncornelius
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds