LED Strip Lighting, and underwater lights.

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

LED Strip Lighting, and underwater lights.

Postby T Man » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:17 pm

After a few weeks of anxious waiting my RGB led strip lighting just came in today. After a little bit of trial and error I have the kit working correctly and love the fact that I can select green, blue, red, white, or any combination of lighting (Disco in the marsh!) with a remote from anywhere on the boat. I have a few ideas of where I want to put it, but nothing for sure so far. Anyone have an install they want to show off so I can have an idea of where to install these? I have some ideas, but want to see what else is out there. Also, anyone have any pictures of any underwater LED setups?

Its an old pic, and the interior is finished, but here is an idea of what I am working with.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: LED Strip Lighting, and underwater lights.

Postby CountryRN » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:09 pm

I bought two 16' strips of waterproof led strips for my 18' Sea Ark. They are very bright so I am most likely going to put a dimmer on them but they have been nice at night when needing to find things in the boat. If you can see from the crappy pictures that my phone took, I placed them just under the edge of the gunnel. I can't help you with the under water lights.
Light.jpg

Light2.jpg
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby drakekllr » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:08 am

i mounted underneath the gunnels. one switch lights up one side, or flip switch the other way and both sides light up.
$10 for 15 feet from amazon.

Black Ops Duck Calls
Shutting down woods one section at a time
drakekllr
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks for the pictures guys. I got the 16' RGB kit with a 44 button ir remote off amazon for $18.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby T Man » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Got them in for the most part. The back deck is torn off my boat so I can re-configure my bilge but you get the idea.

T Man
Super Moderator

Postby dhunter82 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:59 pm

What all exactly did you have to buy to get them working
dhunter82
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:29 pm

Just bought the rgb led kit from lemonbest on amazon
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:41 am

The first hicup of the install: Put lights in last night. Prepped surface using acetone to make sure there was a clean mounting surface. Installed. It rained last night, and this morning, the adhesive had failed. I figured this would happen, and I will be replacing with 3m extreme double sided adhesive. I have already used this in my boat and it has worked well so far.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Txduckmen » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:37 pm

Could you post a link to the ones you got. I am looking at them and the ones I am finding have a controller that plugs intoa wall outlet.

Thanks
Txduckmen
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:43 pm

T Man wrote:Got them in for the most part. The back deck is torn off my boat so I can re-configure my bilge but you get the idea.

Get rid of the woman. I heard the words... "you dont need it". Time to let that one go.
t_baker
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:50 pm

You should have named this thread " Pimp My Ride".
z51
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:25 pm

Txduckmen wrote:Could you post a link to the ones you got. I am looking at them and the ones I am finding have a controller that plugs intoa wall outlet.

Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/LEMONBEST-SMD-Wat ... +led+strip

t_baker wrote:Get rid of the woman. I heard the words... "you dont need it". Time to let that one go.

In the past I would have agreed with you, but I would be soooo broke without that voice of reason killing my impulse buying. I can order whatever I want with the Amazon app on my phone, but she usually beats me home to the mail, so I'd have to explain it sooner or later.

z51 wrote:You should have named this thread " Pimp My Ride".

Watching the flashing crap at the end makes me sick to my stomach, but having a dimmable red and green led strip the length of my boat that can also broadcast white light makes up for some of the tackiness.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Txduckmen » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks
Txduckmen
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:25 am

Bought these yesterday for inside my dry storage in the seat of my boat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390661084898?ss ... 1497.l2648
t_baker
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:27 am

t_baker wrote:Bought these yesterday for inside my dry storage in the seat of my boat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390661084898?ss ... 1497.l2648

The price is right.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Casing » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:35 pm

Try sea master lights. I have them in my boat. Led strips from seamasterlights.com. Come in many colors. Great lighting!
Casing
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:36 am

After a rain shower exposing the weak point in my lighting setup, I believe I am on the right track to remedying the problem. Although the lights are "waterproof" the control box is not. We had a brief shower which shorted out the blue light causing it to always have a small supply of voltage. I remedied this by epoxy potting the circuit board my new box. I dont have pictures, but I took the box apart and filled it with a 5 minute epoxy deep enough to get the board down in. I put some on the board around the components to assure I had no air pockets, and pressed the board down into it. I then used the remaining epoxy to cover the board. This is NOT a waterproof setup, only a highly water resistant setup. Water can still theoretically enter in where the wires come out of the epoxy, and corrosion can still come in at any of the exposed connections, but this will keep it safe especially when the deck is back on and it is out of the elements. The epoxy will also act as a sort of heat sink. I read all over the internet about using a bedding type epoxy, but in the end, I never found any solid enough reason not to use the 5 minute stuff. It is non conductive, and doesn't cost $40 a tube. It seems as though the only problem with using it is removing it for wiring repairs, and the chance that wires can break at the epoxy as they arent allowed to flex. The wire movement is not an issue, as they are secured by the outside of the box, and I will just buy a new box at 16 than attempt to repair it.

The other weak point for corrosion intrusion is the joint between the strip and the control box. It is an unsealed 4 pin plug. I cut this plug off and have used red heat shrink butt connectors to make the joint instead. Nothing is bulletproof, but I hope this will allow me to have a bit of extra wiggle room when it comes to preventing corrosion.

I tried the bedded setup yesterday and it seems to work well with no problems.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby T Man » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:54 pm

T Man
Super Moderator

Postby shsuhunter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:46 pm

im going to have to pick some of those lights up! and goodness they are bright!
shsuhunter
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:44 pm

shsuhunter wrote:im going to have to pick some of those lights up! and goodness they are bright!

They are dimmable

Shouted from the bottom of a well
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby T Man » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:40 pm

A couple quick pics
Attachments
DSCN0444.JPG
DSCN0443.JPG
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds