hybrid layout lifespan

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

hybrid layout lifespan

Postby jakefromflorida » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Debating buying a one man layout hybrid that sports a 10 hp mudmotor. I have no experience with these hulls. What's the lifespan like? Also how well do they hold up if you happen to nik a log or small stump. Its roughly 10' by 48"
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Re: hybrid layout lifespan

Postby MissedAgain » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Jake,

You are looking at a 10 ft + pods? One fellow runs a 6.5 hp surface drive and says it goes 18 mph.

The lifespan depends on how well you take care of it. I have one that is 8 or so years old but we store them dry in a garage/barn.

If you use epoxy, they say it will last longer than polyester resin but increases the cost a little. Mine are mostly poly but I have started to build them out of epoxy and like that build better. The 8 yr old boat is poly.

If you run over a rock or log, you shouldn't have any issues. The inner and outer layers of FG cloth and resin make a strong floor that will take some abuse. You will want to keep an eye on the boat, touching up scratches or nicks as they occur - to protect the integrity of the wood. Same as you would any wooden boat. You can add a couple of keels to absorb some abuse if you like to drag the boat over stuff...

M A
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks a lot missedagain,

That's the best advice and info I've been given, I greatly appreciate it. This hull is a 10' I believe measured with the pods. I've used a 6.5 on a gheenoe and it ran well for me, not a speed demon by no means but I could run airboat trails. This guy is selling em with the 10hp and says they move. I've seen pics and video, it seems legit but scared to commit a season with out ever really trying em. I would like to have one to use as a layout in the more open deeper areas, bit still get back I'm the thicker marshes I like to hunt. Again, I appreciate it.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Responded to your PM.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds