Where to get a kayak?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Where to get a kayak?

Postby Dog Tired » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:53 pm

I'm in the market for a new kayak. I've been trolling Craigslist and keeping an eye out for sales but Gander Mountains last one ended nearly the instant I decided on the perception sport sound 10.5. I'm trying to keep it in the $3-400 range.

Where are the end of summer sales?
Dog Tired
hunter

Re: Where to get a kayak?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:47 pm

I wouldnt want to hunt from a kayak. too unstable.

a small jon boat can be had for cheaper, can be powered by a trolling motor, much more stable, more weight carrying capacity, and hide almost as well.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Greeny » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 pm

If you are getting it for hunting find one that is brown or green you can't just paint a kayak so consider that
Greeny
hunter

Postby kbooger » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:27 am

2500hdon37s wrote:I wouldnt want to hunt from a kayak. too unstable.

a small jon boat can be had for cheaper, can be powered by a trolling motor, much more stable, more weight carrying capacity, and hide almost as well.

This isn't always an option.

I have a beavertail phantom and it works great for what it is, also very stable. I don't hunt directly out of it, I usually sit on the cargo compartment with the rest in the cattails. I can throw it on the back of my truck w/o a problem and don't need a trailer. I also paddle out (and some WMAs you can't use a motor).

There are some kayaks more geared toward waterfowl hunting, I'd get one of those not a regular bright red kayak.

I also really like the looks of the creekboats (google it).
kbooger
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Gents,
I appreciate the feedback. For reference, and maybe I should've said this sooner, I've got a 15ft Jon and a 14ft canoe. I hunt out of both and just want the kayak for the same of scaling my hunting footprint to the particular situation. Of course a Jon boat can cary more and that's the plan; to use it as a tender for my soon to be kayak…one I find that one that doesn't cost $500.

What I'm looking for is if anyone knows of any good deals in kayaks at the moment. I'm been looking for a while but like I said, I need to stay I. The 3-400 range.

Thanks again
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:55 pm

In addition, I've hunted from a kayak before, and believe I completely understand the need for balance. There's nothing I'd dislike more than flipping into the drink in sub 30degree weather. Don't take me saying this to mean I'm an expert, but I have a pretty strong respect for accidents and always put safety in front of my efforts to kill ducks
Dog Tired
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds