Opinions on how to brush layout boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Opinions on how to brush layout boat

Postby TaylorMann1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:45 am

Looking for a good way to attach brush to my layout boat. I was thinking using a type of bungee netting, but have not been able to locate any. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
photo boatsmall.jpg
TaylorMann1
hunter

Re: Opinions on how to brush layout boat

Postby loon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:53 am

When I was on a trip to Florida I asked the shrimp boat guys if I could buy some of there old netting they GAVE me a bunch. I had enough for a decoy net rig and to cover my 4rivers layout . I then attached raffia and natural vegetation with zip ties check with local commercial fisherman/shrimp boat guys
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:05 am

Look up LTMFH 's post and look at his boat, he did about as good a job as I ever saw on a bare boat, I think there is even a write up of what he did.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:17 am

I saw the thread Rob posted last year and decided to use some of what he did.
For my Hybrid I was able to buy some fish net off of eBay. They sell it as decorative netting. A 10' x 5' piece, plenty foe what I need, was like 10 bucks shipped.
Im not going to use camo netting since I have all the grass I need.
This is what it looked like at the end of last season.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I'll post some pictures when it's finished.
TaylorMann1
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:39 pm

Nice, very nice looking rig :beer:

I used cargo netting, used buggie rope around the gunnel to hold it place. Then used Rafia grass. It all rolls up inside for traveling or storing, 10 miniutes to set up. In this picture the grass was still a work in progress, but had to go hunt!!
Attachments
layout.jpg
layout.jpg (25.77 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby duck envy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 am

I made a cover for my sneak boat that I thought would make it through one season til I could make something better... Well, that cover has held up great for three years now.
All I did was buy one of those cheap $15 rolls of "leafy-flage" camo fabric from Walmart... bought a small bundle of mixed color raffia grass from Cabelas $10... purchased a fifty foot coil of brown bungee from ebay $5... and a small roll of green floral wire from Walmart $2.
I layed the netting over my boat, cut the outside to match the profile with enough extra to wrap under the widest points of the boat. I wove the bungee cord through the bottom holes in the netting and snugged it up under the rub rail. Then I cut out the cockpit area, leaving extra fabric to dangle inside the boat and hide any edges. Using the floral wire, I tied small bunches of raffia grass to the netting. Between the camo netting and the raffia grass, it looks pretty good... but now I also toss some local vegetation on top when I am hunting.
That black thing sticking out of the boat is just a 2x6 that I covered in foam to use as a backrest. I can sit straight up or use it to lay back and get lower in the boat.
One other thing I did was buy some cheap black foam (like a yoga mat) and cut it to fit inside the bottom of the boat. It quiets everything down, creates an insulation barrier between me and the cold water and also adds a bit of cushion. My butt sits on a thick foam cushion meant for turkey hunting.
duck envy
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Nice looking rig. I really like the idea of padding the floor. Thanks for your input!
TaylorMann1
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:00 am

Here's mine:

4-foot plastic garden fence, 10 pounds raffia grass, and plastic zip ties.
Attachments
grassed hybrd 2.jpg
grassed hybrid 1.jpg
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds