Long tail vs Surfacedrive

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Long tail vs Surfacedrive

Postby Fowlbastard » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:38 am

I know both have there advantages. It's going on a 14ft mod v. Was thinking about the JB 15hp surface drive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Home of-
(870 Express) Remmi
APR HR HRK's Little Red Feather Duster( Winnie)
HRK's Out For A Sunday Stroll (Tripp)
Fowlbastard
hunter

Re: Long tail vs Surfacedrive

Postby whaknstak » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:50 pm

A mod v will not perform as well as a flat bottom. Cuts and ploughs through rather than riding on top. Since you know the advantages and disadvantages I won't elaborate on the good and bad of each.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby J-WOW83 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:37 am

I've seen it done both ways, get a flat bottom all welded boat and you will be much more satisfied. People are partial to different brands. They are all great for what we do.
J-WOW83
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:33 pm

whaknstak wrote:A mod v will not perform as well as a flat bottom. Cuts and ploughs through rather than riding on top. Since you know the advantages and disadvantages I won't elaborate on the good and bad of each.

If your on plane like your supposed to be a mod v doesnt cut or plow.
Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:49 pm

I have had both custom made mud hulls and mod v jons. They both have their place. Both work well with a mm. Most mud boats slide in high speed turns and I don't like that. The ribbed style bottom doesn't . You lose maybe 1mph but get better handling. Don't listen to all the hype, you don't need a mud boat to have a decent rig.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby smanwisc » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:42 pm

Good Topic. I am thinking of ditching the outboard and going with either a long tail or surface drive. Please let me know what your experiences and advice are for each. Pushing a mod V Jon boat that is a tank. Takes all of 3 guys to turn it over. Thank you for any information.
smanwisc
hunter

Postby Delta1389 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:54 pm

A flat bottom will carry a load better than a mod v will. The flat bottom had more planing surface. A mod v will start plowing badly once heavily loaded. A true flat bottom will slide more easily over mud and vegetation. A ribbed bottom will want to track straight and resist turning especially in mud. I have both. I have a mod v Jon with an outboard mounted and a flat bottom crawfish skiff for my 25 GD longtail. Also long and narrow is better when concerning longtails and wider is better concerning surface drives. Get as long of a boat as you can. Longer boat affords more planing surface equaling more load carrying ability. I'd maybe look at a little bigger motor if you could to negate the fact that its a mod v. My uncle runs an 18hp copperhead on a 1648 flat boat and gets mid 20 empty. An 18 on that 14' would fly!
Delta1389
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:02 pm

Delta1389 wrote:A flat bottom will carry a load better than a mod v will. The flat bottom had more planing surface. A mod v will start plowing badly once heavily loaded. A true flat bottom will slide more easily over mud and vegetation. A ribbed bottom will want to track straight and resist turning especially in mud. I have both. I have a mod v Jon with an outboard mounted and a flat bottom crawfish skiff for my 25 GD longtail. Also long and narrow is better when concerning longtails and wider is better concerning surface drives. Get as long of a boat as you can. Longer boat affords more planing surface equaling more load carrying ability. I'd maybe look at a little bigger motor if you could to negate the fact that its a mod v. My uncle runs an 18hp copperhead on a 1648 flat boat and gets mid 20 empty. An 18 on that 14' would fly!

This /\
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:39 pm

I can add to the mod V and flat bottom subject.

Call it how you see it but...

I have a 16.5 mod v with a 24hp longtail, Absolutly NO plowing, and gets on plane GREAT with just me and light gear. (6'1 190#s)

Now add my hunting buddy, 5'8ish, 240#+, and the thing plows like a friggin shamu in a jello pond.

NOW heres the kicker... with all that said, my boat has a custom stainless steel deck built up front with a 30 gallon polymere fuel tank... with half a tank I still can get on plain and ride out... Not fast, but its plains... Just sayin.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:58 pm

Fowlbastard wrote:I know both have there advantages. It's going on a 14ft mod v. Was thinking about the JB 15hp surface drive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Which type of MM depends on the type of water you'll be using it in. Since this thread is about LT vs. SD, and you know the advantages of each, you can answer your own questions.
mudpack
hunter

Postby FFT » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:53 pm

My tin can lowe rode better than my exel f4, was drier, and weighed half as much. That being said, a long tail is more usefull in stumps than a sd, and sd is gonna out perform a lt for speed and ease of operation.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:59 pm

Long boat rides go SD.... if time and speed is minimal concern go Lt.
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby deliriousII » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:54 am

if the area you are using it in has stumps long tail is the better choice IMO
quack addict
deliriousII
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds