New Boat - Phowler Prowler Extreme 1744 - First Impressions

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Postby Johnny-O » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Picked up our new Prowler Extreme 1744 last Tuesday and finished rigging it up with a new Dixie 23 yesterday. Paul, Jeff, Courtney and Bubba from Phowler were a pleasure to work with and Mike at Dixie was great also. Boat and motor were ready exactly when promised and everyone was nice as could be every time I called with a question or follow-up.

We only had an hour or so to play with it, but so far I'm very impressed. We didn't get a chance to run in any shallow waters yet but GPS speeds in deep water with two people (450 lbs.), 6 gallons of gas and light gear averaged 23 MPH. Didn't get any speed runs with one person because the boat started to porpoise and we didn't have time to adjust the trim tab. I'm sure that once the motor loosens up and we get the RPM's dialed in we'll be closer to 25 mph in deep water. It planed out in a couple of boat lengths and handled beautifully. The motor ran perfectly and the power trim made adjustments a breeze. We opted out of the clutch, so being able to trim the motor out of the water when slowing and stopping makes things so much easier.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. I'll post updates as things move along. The season here in Wisconsin opens a week from Saturday so we're hustling to get the blind built and get things dialed in. If your in my area and have been considering a Phowler Prowler, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to take you out for a ride.

John
Attachments
Boat.jpg
Johnny-O
hunter

Re: New Boat - Phowler Prowler Extreme 1744 - First Impressi

Postby pwhnts5 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:32 am

Glad you like the boat, I figured it would run pretty similar to the 23 Copperhead, you are just a few MPH of those speeds with a heavier motor, so that is great. Can't wait to see your blind set-up and the birds you shoot out of your Prowler Extreme.

The 1744 with a 23 class surface drive is one of my personal favorites to run and hunt out of, they are so easy to drive and are just plain fun to run in just about any conditions.

It was a pleasure working with you on this rig and feel free to give us a call with any questions or set-up issues.

Thanks again and have fun!!!

PW
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby Johnny-O » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Second time out... Over adjusted the trim tab and we lost traction on plane. Re-adjusted and hit 26 mph by myself with no porpoising and the same 23 mph with two people, although it was a heavier load. Made a couple of runs through shallow water (3"-4") and maintained the same 23 mph.

At wot out of the water the motor is only turning around 3650 RPM's so I need to make some adjustments. I'm shooting for around 4000 RPM's unless someone suggests differently. I'll check the throttle first and then adjust the governor.

Blind building has begun, wish I had more free time!

Johnny-O
Johnny-O
hunter

Postby Johnny-O » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:36 pm

The blind is almost done. One more night and we should be good.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1380058608613.jpg
Johnny-O
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Ooooohhhh my gosh. The envy I am experiencing right now is of epic proportions :drool:
I've been eyeing that exact same set up for a few years now, and I will be pulling the trigger this coming spring.
Helluva choice on the boat and the dealer. IMO there is no better partner to duck hunters in the industry than Phowler Boats. Well done guys :clapping:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby Johnny-O » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Hey Blackcloud,

I couldn't be more thrilled with the purchase. The 1744 with a lightweight 23 SD is an amazing combination. Speeds are great even under load and I'ts amazingly safe and stable. The real treat recently was getting stuck in a 1/2" of water and being able to pole it out without breaking a sweat. We sold a much larger hull to buy this and I'd never go back.

If you ever have any questions, let me know.

Johnny-O
Johnny-O
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:08 am

Not trying to be a bastard or anything... But what's the thought behind having a cockpit style boat yet still having that popup style blind? Just curious.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:23 am

BKScripto wrote:Not trying to be a bastard or anything... But what's the thought behind having a cockpit style boat yet still having that popup style blind? Just curious.

I can't speak for the OP but it's my understanding that these boats are specifically designed to allow the hunter to be flexible in their hunting style, you can hunt in these boats in a "layout" style, however that is a bit difficult to do with more than 1 hunter. :yes: I think the OP purchased the 17ft version of that boat, as he probably plans to hunt more than 1 or 2 guys out of it ( with equipment, dog(s), ect ) so the pop-up style blind would be the best option that I can think of for concealing that many hunters, with the smallest footprint, while maintaining the maneuverability of a shallow water boat and the safety of a larger boat. I think..... :wink:

Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby Johnny-O » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:11 am

Blackcloud, you saved me a lot of writing. You're exactly right. The majority of the time there'll be two if us in the boat, and occasionally three. Also, this isn't a small hull. It's smaller and lighter than many other options, but it's still 17' long with a 12' cockpit that's 44"wide.

Basically we wanted to downsize with increased performance, still carry a load, and all of this through rough water. It's almost impossible to take water over the front, sides, or back. I researched for almost two years and there just isn't anything else out there that did everything I wanted.

Johnny-O
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:36 am

Gotcha... Makes sense. I looked long and hard at those boats, they are sweet but just not quite what I wanted. I'm having a custom one built out in Texas that will be similar but different if that makes sense.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:39 am

I just noticed yours has an actual hunt deck. The older ones didn't. That's one of the reasons I'm having a custom one built.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 am

What are you looking to have built Skripto? I'm always interested to hear what types of customizations folks are having done to their boats :yes:

Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby Johnny-O » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 am

What are you having them build?

Johnny-O
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:40 am

- 16.5' L x 54" W (bottom)

- 15" or 18" Hunt Deck (haven't decided yet. Need enough room for dog so probably 18"?)

- Cockpit dimension approx 11'L x 48"W x 22" Depth including coming

- Hybrid V hull design. Only bit of V will be in the very front where the now rakes upwards. This won't effect my mud motor performance and should help break bigger waves on the large lakes

- Hatch up front to access gas tank

- Integrated gun box in cockpit under side combing

The aesthetics will be a bit different between my boat and the Prowler.

Johnny-O, what's the bottom width of your boat? They call it the 17x44 but the 44 is really the cockpit width, right?
BKScripto
hunter

Postby Johnny-O » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:08 pm

The bottom is 44". The sides widen to 60"and then narrow back in at the cockpit.

Johnny-O
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:14 pm

Gotcha. How wide is your cockpit? Same as the bottom?
BKScripto
hunter

Postby Johnny-O » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:30 pm

It's 44" also
Johnny-O
hunter

Postby hedge » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:41 pm

I have a couple questions
what size boat and style did you step down from?
what brand trailer and how much?
if you make a trip to the Mississippi River this year let me know I'd like to take a test ride.
I will also be watching your Dixie mud motor purchase keep us posted on the satisfaction!!
hedge
hunter

Postby pwhnts5 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:32 am

The blind looks good, that should be a great set-up for you. Hope the hunting starts picking up your way.

PW
Phowler Boat Company

pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby Johnny-O » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:38 pm

hedge wrote:I have a couple questions
what size boat and style did you step down from?
what brand trailer and how much?
if you make a trip to the Mississippi River this year let me know I'd like to take a test ride.
I will also be watching your Dixie mud motor purchase keep us posted on the satisfaction!!

The old boat was an 1856 Go-Devil with twin 23hp longtails, it was a brute. We bought a Karavan trailer from a local trailer shop. It's a KBL-1250-56 and it's the perfect size for the 1744 prowler, $870 galvanized.

I'll be out on pool 9 later this month and then again in mid November. We'll be loaded down but I'm sure we could find time to meet up.
Johnny-O
hunter

Postby Johnny-O » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:55 pm

pwhnts5 wrote:The blind looks good, that should be a great set-up for you. Hope the hunting starts picking up your way.

PW

Steve and I got out Sunday afternoon, season opened here on Saturday. Warm, sunny, and barely a breeze. Unfortunately not much flying. Still working out some kinks with the roof on the blind but all in all it looks and works great. It was Steve and I, Shadow the Lab, 4-dozen decoys, 6-gallons of gas, Guns, Blind bags, storage box full of assorted crap and of course, the blind. We were able to hit 20 mph in anywhere from 6" to 8' of water.
Johnny-O
hunter

Postby Johnny-O » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Finally have everything dialed with the boat. Went out today with a full hunting load. Two of us (420lbs), dog, 4 dozen decoys, guns, bags, 6 gallons of gas, and assorted crap. Ran a steady 23 mph in deep water, not enough long stretches in the shallows to get a speed.

Johnny-O
hunter

Postby pwhnts5 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:12 pm

That really great, that is about what we ran with Copperhead and three men. It does take a little time to get the load placed right, trim tabs right etc, but once you get it all dialed in that is a really great combination. Now if it would cool down so we can start seeing some birds!!!!

Have fun guys.

Paul Willging
Phowler Boat Company

pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby hedge » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:29 pm

BUMP.
I'm interested in this boat and thank you for all your post.
please keep them coming!
hedge
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds