fog lights for boat?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: fog lights for boat?

Postby threedogs » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:49 pm

T Man wrote:
Cantshootwell wrote:
I have not, but my wife's, friend's, cousin (sound shady, right?) actually makes a living off order stuff from alibaba and re-selling it on craigslist. I've talked to him many times about it. He said only deal with the gold sellers because they are verified legit.

After looking some more, I believe I am going to run a pair of these: http://auroralight.en.alibaba.com/produ ... _2072.html

Currently my 4 55watt lights draw almost 20 amps and only put out 4400 lumens (All based on math, not actual) A pair of these on the front will provide almost 9000 lumens at 7 amps. :grooving:

I'd be up for a pair if it will help with the shipping.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:27 am

Got my light bar from Alibaba. Pretty good quality.
Attachments
gallery-983526487.jpg
gallery-983526487.jpg (11.46 KiB) Viewed 507 times
gallery1293463477.jpg
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:54 am

Nice, how can I get one or two?
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby duckland » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:24 pm

I bought a 72 Watts LED bar on ebay. I paied 65 $ + shipping. I am very happy so far.
duckland
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:52 pm

duckland wrote:I bought a 72 Watts LED bar on ebay. I paied 65 $ + shipping. I am very happy so far.

Linky linky.!
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby duckland » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:58 am

I've bought it on an auction. I've actually paied 61 $ + shipping for a 72 W LED bar. Look for this seller on ebay: topurchase888

He sells different kinds of LED lights. I've got good service and fast shipping from this seller. Package left from California.
duckland
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:01 pm

I looked over that sellers stuff and he buys from the company i bought my light from.

That light cost him 50.50 per unit + shipping from china. If he ordered a bulk order of 20, it is 45 and change with less shipping per unit.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:11 pm

Check out see lite strips
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby Peacore » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:58 pm

I don't rely on lights in the fog - they just don't work very well. Really not at all!

I go out ahead of time and put waypoints in my GPS and then make a route from the waypoints.

No matter; dark, rain or fog, put your GPS on the compass setting and follow the arrow to stay on your route and you'll get to your destination.

I'm a duck hunter and sometimes the fog is so thick I can't even find my way out of the bay onto the main lake withoput a GPS. Also a GPS route keeps you from running into bouys if you have the waypoints set up to avoid them.

With lights you just can't see landmarks like you can on a fogless night without lights. So I find lights not very helpful unless there is no fog. My light is a handhelp spot of 2,000,000 candle power. I only need it when the GPS says we are within 100 ft. of a waypoint(blind etc.).
Peacore
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Peacore wrote:I don't rely on lights in the fog - they just don't work very well. Really not at all!

I go out ahead of time and put waypoints in my GPS and then make a route from the waypoints.

No matter; dark, rain or fog, put your GPS on the compass setting and follow the arrow to stay on your route and you'll get to your destination.

I'm a duck hunter and sometimes the fog is so thick I can't even find my way out of the bay onto the main lake withoput a GPS. Also a GPS route keeps you from running into bouys if you have the waypoints set up to avoid them.

With lights you just can't see landmarks like you can on a fogless night without lights. So I find lights not very helpful unless there is no fog. My light is a handhelp spot of 2,000,000 candle power. I only need it when the GPS says we are within 100 ft. of a waypoint(blind etc.).

The GPS idea is pretty good. I don't have one, but the idea is solid. I also don't use the "fog lights" as for actual navigation lights. Most my duck grounds I know pretty well and can run too without light. If there is fog, I just follow the bank intil I know where to turn out into.

I use the light for setting up a spread, letting people know my boat is there and where I plan to shoot my birds.

During early deer season I use it to navigate small creeks where only one boat could fit.

But I hardly ever or even try to use them as navigation lights while running.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby gogetthedogs » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:09 pm

I guess I would agree about the fog and lights being useless. I like the gps idea and might look more into that. On a clear night and some moonlight, you're usually good to go. Unless you are dealing with unusual changing river conditions.
I don't have a catchy phrase to put here!
gogetthedogs
hunter

Postby gogetthedogs » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Forgot to add that you would need to adjust your lights so they function correctly when you are on plane with actual load. Lights mounted to bow with no load may be plane spotting.
I don't have a catchy phrase to put here!
gogetthedogs
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:18 am

gogetthedogs wrote:Unless you are dealing with unusual changing river conditions.

This

GPS wont tell me where new logs and deadheads are.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Cantshootwell » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:51 pm

^

I hunt a river that constantly has new logs and other debris floating down it. I need light, gps won't do a damn thing for me.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Never had issues on my few rivers I use, of course I don't haul arse up them either... I'm mostly in open lakes where we contend with hidden stumps. Thankfully when you do find them and hit them. You usually remember not to hug that sandbar, corner, etc.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:41 pm

It doesn't matter if you go slow or haul ass. The giant, dead, cedars that fall in the river and barely float above the water line will make you know who's daddy.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Cantshootwell wrote:It doesn't matter if you go slow or haul ass. The giant, dead, cedars that fall in the river and barely float above the water line will make you know who's daddy and put you on a quick road to paying for a new hull or prop.

FIFY
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks man. Also, to everyone that wanted to join my order, I didn't want to include anyone because if the product turned out to be a turd, I didn't want other people getting burned with me.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds