Solar Charging Battery While Hunting

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Solar Charging Battery While Hunting

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:33 am

I have a very small boat that is powered by a Minn Kota trolling motor. We usually drive to the spot we hunt in, set up the decoys, and stick the boat in some reeds or bushes. We hunt the entire day and head home at dark. I was wondering how much a solar pannel would charge my battery in the course of about 10 hours while it sits in the reeds. Does anyone do this? I was just wondering if it were a good idea.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Re: Solar Charging Battery While Hunting

Postby T Man » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:53 am

Unfortunately it just isn't a cost effective option with the current technology. For example: An 88 watt solar panel I found produces 5.1 amps/hour. While this would partially charge your battery in a day, its size and cost make it impractical. It is 40" x 26", has a shipping weight of 64lbs and costs more than 500 dollars before shipping. A 55lb trolling motor will use about 55amps/hr in clean water, so it would take you 11 hours of solar charging to make up for 1 hour of running your trolling motor.

For that money I would buy a couple extra deep cycle batteries and know I have a full charge when I get back to my boat.

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/BSP80WK.html
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: Solar Charging Battery While Hunting

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:07 am

Thanks for the info. The 1 extra hour sounds perfect, but not for that kind of money. I'll have to figure out how to get another deep cycle battery in my boat. Thanks again!
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds