newbie question

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

newbie question

Postby Take em boys » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Hello I have been wade hunting and field hunting my whole life I recently moved to st. maries Idaho and one glance at google earth and I can tell im living in a boat hunter paradise 3 small sized river (to deep to wade) and chains of lakes and the monster lake CDA I have never been a huge duck hunter mostly all geese but all my goose fields are a 2 hour drive in either direction I know im not ready to drop k's on a boat but im thinking maybe drop a few hundred on a row boat or canoe to get me away from crowds and then can walk the rest??? idk It will always be me and the dog possibly another buddy but I don't count on people to make it with me every single weekend or am I just gonna love it and need to drop the money on a real boat?? lol let me know if you've ever been in a situation like this and what ya did!

Thanks

Colton
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Re: newbie question

Postby olt d2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:21 pm

Craigslist is the way to go, Bought may last two duck boats off there and if you wait and search most of the time you can get a darn good deal. Idk about a canoe with a dog, mix in river current it could turn into a bad deal. I have a 1236 tracker jon boat i use for floating small stuff by me. It works well and drafts hardly any water weighs in at 80lbs plus it a lot more stable then a canoe.
olt d2
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:24 pm

yea I was kinda second guesing it been a hot hot summer so tiopping a canoe sounds nice right now but decemebr ehhhh lol what should I look for??? the lakes are all about 1 mile by 1 mile and smaller so how long of boat and what size motor??? I don't mind putting along my first year
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:13 am

First off every body uses a used boat. Craigs list is a good option if you are patient. 14 x 36 is a reasonable 2 man out fit. I think 12 x 36 is a minimum. There are smaller. Lots of people use a bicycle, depending on the terrain. Most people have a great time. Enjoy!

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds