Surface drive/weldbilt,excel question???

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Surface drive/weldbilt,excel question???

Postby mac87toy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:26 pm

I am looking at buying a new boat and outfitting it with a surface drive motor. The places I run have a LOT of gravel bars and rocks. Very very little mud but lots of up to baseball size gravel and huge bolders and lots of floating grass mats. I have been running a rivetted vhual with prop for years on it but have to be very careful as you can imagine and there are holes that i just cant get to. How do mud motors/surface drives do in gravel adn rocks and what kind of boat should i be looking for. I have looked and the Weldbilts because i can get it custom made the exact way I want it set up and can still afford it, but should i save my money can get a excel? Any help you all can give me would be much appreciated.
mac87toy
hunter

Re: Surface drive/weldbilt,excel question???

Postby T Man » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Gravel and rocks get a jet outboard.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby mac87toy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:40 pm

The problem i see with a jet is the huge amount of flooting grass and weeds and I dont really need to be up on step going down a river in the dark.
mac87toy
hunter

Postby threedogs » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:58 am

It'll tear the heck out of the prop on a mm as well as the ob. Might as well stick to the ob and have the speed, get a jack plate and go as high as you can. Another option , and I have done this is to go with a tunnel boat such as Sea Ark and use an ob . The prop can be run in the tunnel and works very well all things considered.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:19 am

threedogs wrote:It'll tear the heck out of the prop on a mm as well as the ob. Might as well stick to the ob and have the speed, get a jack plate and go as high as you can. Another option , and I have done this is to go with a tunnel boat such as Sea Ark and use an ob . The prop can be run in the tunnel and works very well all things considered.

This

Without specifically running the river you are on, no one can say for sure, but it almost seems that a tunnel hull with a jackplate, and a river runner on your outboard skeg would be the most beneficial. If you got a jackplate with enough backspace you could run the motor quite high up leaving only the skeg below the bottom of the boat. It sounds like a surface drive will have the same limitations as an outboard.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby mac87toy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:46 am

so does anybody have any opinios on weldbilt boats or excel boats?
mac87toy
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:22 am

I have run a Weldbilt since 2011. I have had no issues, although some have in older models. I think there are tougher boats out there but I bought for the same reasons as mentioned above. You have a custom build at an affordable price. I run both an outboard and MM on mine. I do agree that it seems like a tunnel would work best for your application, but thats for you to decide. I'd rather have the MM to that you have no worries on getting hung up in vegitation.
duckahlr
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:08 pm

I have a 2011 16 x 48 weldbilt with a pocket hull and a 30hp 4 storke mercury on it. Runs good. Boat seems to be pretty good. Problem I have is that I like you run in the water lillies and weeds. Sucks haveing to stop and clear the prop and inlets for the impeller. I did have the motor raised but it was causing me to take alot over water over the back of the transom when i was on plane. Maybe just putting a board back there or something to prevent it. Over all i'm happy with it. We have hunted 4 guys out of it with a dog.
SATX duckman
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds