How would this boat work

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

How would this boat work

Postby Take em boys » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:34 am

Looking to buy first duck boat lakes I will be hunting are on the small side 1X1 mile 1X3 mile and 3X2 Mile with marshes connecting each of them 2 hunters 3 MAX 4 dozen decoys 1 dog I cant and wont spend over a grand on it for this season never boat duck hunted before and already have thousands tied up in my goose spread wife will killllllllll me so I was wondering hows this boat look for a starter this year? If I love it then I can save up a few more G's and sweet talk her thru the summer only thing that scares me is it looks a bit narrow not a fan of swimming

its a 14 ft 9.9 with 15HP upgrade?????
Colton
Attachments
00E0E_96GTroVh4Xj_600x450.jpg
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Re: How would this boat work

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:03 am

Speaking from experience...I would hold off one more year and save up for a 16 ft flat bottom. That many people gear and a dog. You wouldn't believe how full and unstable that little 15 ft boat will be.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby lablover0929 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:08 pm

That resembles more like a duck hunters casket than a boat. That many people and gear, a 1652 would be a minimum. Any severe weather or water conditions and it could get spooky in a 1652. Plus you want at least a 25hp for what you need in size. Save up and do it right, don't risk lives to save the boss from tearing you a new arse.
TEAM YELLA DAWG
lablover0929
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Im really not trying to argue just understand I know absolutely nothing about duck boats....

But I see people hunting out of smaller boats than this and even canoes Ill only be going at max a mile across the lake and I guess I should take back MAX 3 hunters cause my 3rd hunting buddy has a boat sorta like this but flat bottom so most the time it will just be me and my girlfriend and dog but I have a feeling once the really cold hits it will be me and the dog is it cause its a v bow that makes it tippy I guess I don't even know what type of boat I should be looking at....

As far as money saving up ect I don't want to drop a ton of money on it because ive never hunted ducks in a boat before and don't even know if I could let it replace my goose habbit this year I just want to try it out

Colton
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:52 pm

Since you don't want advice that you get why ask at all ? Have the fore site to have your funeral prepaid so your wife wont have to deal with it.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:58 pm

you know ive been apart of allot of fourms before archerytalk predatormasters flock knockers back in the day but this is the only place I have ever been were a guy cant ask some advice with out some butt saying well your not taking advice so stop wasting my time don't read the post if its that big of a deal! I obviously listend because I did not buy that boat today my 2nd question was an explination to why it wont work a simple (prepare you funeral didn't answer my question) people like you are a disgrace to the hunting community its not only this post but multiple posts I have looked thru always has some di ck head pipeing in im now proud to say I will no longer waste my time wasting yours

thanks for the above two people that posted that swayed me away from this buy

Colton
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:03 pm

Take em boys wrote:you know ive been apart of allot of fourms before archerytalk predatormasters flock knockers back in the day but this is the only place I have ever been were a guy cant ask some advice with out some butt saying well your not taking advice so stop wasting my time don't read the post if its that big of a deal! I obviously listend because I did not buy that boat today my 2nd question was an explination to why it wont work a simple (prepare you funeral didn't answer my question) people like you are a disgrace to the hunting community its not only this post but multiple posts I have looked thru always has some di ck head pipeing in im now proud to say I will no longer waste my time wasting yours

Colton

Have a nice day..... :violin:
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby lundin-loading » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:37 pm

I used nearly an identical setup for 3 seasons of hunting and fishing on quite a bit larger water. I only ever hunted 2 people in it(both 200lb+), 3doz deeks, and no dogs. I didnt like having any more than 2 people in it, seemed to sort of nose dive when you throttled up with a 3rd guy in the boat. I ran a 14 horse on it and by myself would run around 22mph, second guy put it around 17mph.
lundin-loading
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:53 am

Take em boys wrote:you know ive been apart of allot of fourms before archerytalk predatormasters flock knockers back in the day but this is the only place I have ever been were a guy cant ask some advice with out some butt saying well your not taking advice so stop wasting my time don't read the post if its that big of a deal! I obviously listend because I did not buy that boat today my 2nd question was an explination to why it wont work a simple (prepare you funeral didn't answer my question) people like you are a disgrace to the hunting community its not only this post but multiple posts I have looked thru always has some di ck head pipeing in im now proud to say I will no longer waste my time wasting yours

Colton

That boat would have worked great...... On a Puddle.... They gave advice you were arguing why it would work.... They were telling you save the cash and buy a little bigger boat you wouldn't regret it in the long run and it saves u the hassle of reselling this boat, if you were still alive to do so. Sounds like your the one with panties in a wad...
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:53 am

I had a boat like this for my old boat. It was perfect, however I never hunted out of it, and I was never on big water with it. I used it to haul in dekes and gear. A 1 mile by 1 mile lake is big. That is plenty of room for waves to get blown into some pretty good chop. Any lakes bigger than that and it gets even more dangerous. You asked if your boat would work and said you didn't have any knowledge on the subject. Answers were given, maybe a bit passionately.

They are not what is wrong with duck hunting, in fact, they are what is right with it. It is a dangerous setup for big water, and they were trying to emphasize this point. For the water and loads you are describing, you will need a minimum of a 1648 boat to safely cross, and you will still have to pick your days.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby okduckdude » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:55 am

How about this shot of reality for you bud. One day I show up to the boat ramp for an afternoon hunt to find 3 ambulances, volunteer fire department, and lake patrol. What did I find? 3 guys in a boat with a kid, plus gear, had water come over the transom of a 1652 with a 15hp. Wind was blowing about 25 to 30 gusting to maybe 35 that day. White capping with roll about 2 to 2.5 feet. Thankfully the flotation foam kept the boat afloat while they called lake patrol for help. Without that floatation foam those guys would likely be dead.

This is the point, taking a boat out on big water and it being too small for the load and not having enough hp kills people. Especially those who know nothing about boats. People are doing you a favor by being hard on you to get their point across. So take the hint and if you want to get a boat for that many people then buy a bigger boat. Then you should learn how to drive the sucker. Duck hunters hunt in some of the worst weather and water conditions. You have to know how to read these conditions to stay safe and not die. You can't learn that in the summer puddling around leisurely on the lake. Your either prepared or your dead.

I'm not saying not to hunt these situations (I went out that day no trouble) but if your going to do this you better pay attention to those who have been there and done that.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:49 am

Colton

I am still amazed how many people (not saying you) think they can just paint a boat green and POOF...it becomes a duck boat.
If you are looking for a putter that will get you to a duck hunting spot, then go ahead and paint that green and you might be fine.
But if you plan on actually hunting OUT of that boat, you will no doubt add camo netting and add weight to it in all kinds of ways that make a v-hull like that VERY tippy...
It's really nice to slap something together and just get out there, but it's also really good to design your own perfect craft that's going to be safe #1 and effective #2
Good luck
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:35 am

over the years many a duck hunter has gone out in less of a boat... heck most of them even came back!!! its the law of averages...if you load a boat to near capacity and then you take on 25 gallons of water......boom...you are going to flounder and it will just get worse every waves after that......with no flotation the boats going to the bottom...depending on your health the distance from shore and the water temps.....you might make it..

just because the lake is 3 miles long doesn't mean you are traveling the whole 3 miles... so you might be able to hunt that boat close to shore, and close to the ramp..and do it 100 hunts in a row. we have to assume the worst...you are crossing the open expanse of the lake in sudden bad weather.... the smaller the boat the BIGGER the bilge pump...I say!
buy the boat , limit your hunts , in bad weather, don't be stupid, just go to the closest shore , and get out!
the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:00 pm

A small(ish) boat with 2 people, a couple of tackle boxes, some rods & reels and a cooler may be fine for a decent size lake in the summer for an afternoon of fishing. If something happens youcan simply float around ona PFD and either make it to shore or be picked up by another boater. Now take that same boat with the same 2 people wearing waders and insulated clothing plus decoys, shotguns, shells and other "gear" in freezing temps with the water in the 30's or low 40's and add wintertime weather and o-dark thirty launches and you have the potential for disaster. Granted, as tool mentioned many people have hunted many times in small boats in bad conditions and been just fine but when the chance of surviving a capsizing becomes almost impossible most people would vie for a craft more capable of handling the conditions in a safe manner. That is a larger, wider and more stable boat with enough motor to handle heavy head water plus the load of duck hunting gear.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby satguy1963 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:48 pm

These folks on here have given some good advice. They may be a little gruff but I see it as tough love. I have seen on more than 1 occasion a boat overloaded due to high profile blinds, to many people and high winds get swamped. I would save up and do it safe. No duck is worth dieing for. There are plenty of boats that will fit your needs and fairly inexpensive. You could probably build a nice rig for around $3000. I recommend a minimum of an 18' ft flat jon boat and a 25hp motor. Put an avery quickset blind on it and your ready to hunt. Shop for the bargains, they are out there. Good luck :thumbsup:
satguy1963
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:59 pm

okay I have def got why this boat is wrong pounded in my head I get it I called the guy yesterday and said thanks but no thanks and thanks to you guys for making my decision...

NOW my second post that's seemed to get every body a bit riled up is what kind of boat SHOULD I look at??? I stated I have no idea what a duck boat should look like every one I see going down the road has so much grass on it hell I cant tell if its a canoe or a bayliner lol so my original question is what should I look for???

And to clear up a bit a gentleman stated before about going the whole lakes distance and no absolutely will not even cross the lake on all the lakes the marsh side is on the boat launch side I know I have not done it but from google earth scouting and my scouting trip last Saturday shows no more than a mile ride to the shore of the marsh,.. Ill post a pic maybe that will help a bit
Attachments
fixed.jpg
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:13 pm

The paradox of duck boats is wanting something that it dry and safe, but low profile. Typically the more sea strong you get, the wider, bigger and deeper V you get.
The first thing I would tell us is a list of your goals...
How many guys?
How big are you guys?
Dog?
How many deeks?
What HP engine do you think you'll need?

From there you are looking at a one man or a two man boat.
If you DONT have rocks to contend with, then you can stay away from Aluminum....

Here is a glass over wood quality back yard custom
http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/4074661752.html

Here is a beautiful all glass boat that's actually a great deal
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/4068804848.html

These are real duck boats, not just something guys threw grass on
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby threedogs » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Slack Tide wrote:The paradox of duck boats is wanting something that it dry and safe, but low profile. Typically the more sea strong you get, the wider, bigger and deeper V you get.
How many guys?
How big are you guys?
Dog?
How many deeks?

If you DONT have rocks to contend with, then you can stay away from Aluminum....

If I were on that side of the world I would buy that second boat in a nano second...I only have 5 boats now so I definetly need another.............................Uhhh maybe not? But I would!
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby junior00 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 pm

My advice; if youre comfortable and confident in your abilities in the boat, give it a go! I'm like you... I've seen rigs like this on lakes the same size as what you're hunting. I DO agree with the posts that are concerned about you overloading it. Just use your head and wear a life jacket! Don't try to put 200 decoys, 3 buddies, 3 dogs, a kitchen sink and your dad's truck in it! From a money aspect, try it! If you decide boat hunting is for you, sell the boat, keep the motor and trailer and use them on your next boat! From the looks of the trailer, you shoud be able to put a little time and work into it to make it fit a 14-16' semi-v or a flatbottom jon boat with AT LEAST a 48" bottom and not spend a buttload of cash doing it. Your motor would work on a 14-16' boat just fine as long as you get the right transom height. Just my 2 cents...hope this helps!
junior00
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:37 pm

threedogs wrote:If I were on that side of the world I would buy that second boat in a nano second...I only have 5 boats now so I definetly need another.............................Uhhh maybe not? But I would!

I know what you mean....that's a nice NJ style boat that I'd love to see way out of it's element....I bet that would be really cool in a different environment...
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Slack Tide wrote:The paradox of duck boats is wanting something that it dry and safe, but low profile. Typically the more sea strong you get, the wider, bigger and deeper V you get.
How many guys?
How big are you guys?
Dog?
How many deeks?

thank you!!!

To answer your questions

im 190 with street clothes

only other person would either be my girlfriend (around 130 or my buddy my size)

Small lab (70 lbs)

max 4 dozen standards one big bag

And motor size my buddy has a 9.9 and his 14ft flat bottom it does just fine scooting the edges to were he wants to go
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Take em boys wrote:And motor size my buddy has a 9.9 and his 14ft flat bottom it does just fine scooting the edges to were he wants to go

Why not boat hunt with him a few times to see if it is something you want to get into?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby toolmaker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:51 pm

get a wide boat for any length you can afford....it offers more stability( great for hunting from) and it adds a lot of weight capacity, plus they generally float shallower if they are wider than standard. get two bilge pumps and wire them on seperate circuits...so if you blow a fuse they BOTH dont stop working....keeping water OUT of the boat is your goal....even if you fashion of some canvas along the sides to make them higher and keep 90 % of the waves that might break over the side....out of the boat!.....it will help....when i was young and a real novice at boating on the seas....i had a closed bow 16 foot utility....and i got caught in a deadly storm, with no knowledge to deal with it... the closed bow kept enough water out of the boat that we survived and made it back in.....we stuck the bow under a dozen times....but the closed bow front was 3+ feet long, and it ended at a plastic windshield....the water just rolled back into the ocean.....SUPER lucky i had THAT boat...if it would have been a standard open 16 footer...we would have gone down.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:52 pm

I have an old 16’ beater that I use to get around the rivers and lakes here, its not much but it makes that boat look like a pool noodle. You can have a 14’ that would suit the needs of two people perfectly if it was wide enough and you know your limitations. good luck finding a boat.
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:52 pm

November 24th, 2003 started like any other morning for me. I showed up at the launch put the boat in and waited for my hunting buddy to launch his boat. The ride to our spot is less then a mile on the river flat and we were running two boats do to the amount of decoys and people (three and a dog) we had. Well my motor wouldn't start and we had people showing up every where. so we all climbed in to my buddy's boat even though I had objection to this do to the size of his boat. So we headed out and within fifteen minutes we all went through every duck hunters greatest fears. A few things will never leave your mind after i entered the water that morning. first, is how fast you lose everything when cold water hits your spinal column, tarsal reflex is no joke. second was how quiet the world gets when a man is faced to except his fate. In all we spent forty-five mins in the water and a day in the hospital. Now I'm not trying to beat a dead horse with this story but to show you the effects ill judgement can have. Most duck hunters don't think of themselves as boaters. It just a means to get people and gear from a to b. The boat you showed would make a fine hunting boat. but like any boat, only within its limitations and always trust your gut feeling in a questionable situations. also always wear your life jacket because trust me when things go wrong there is no time to grab it.
olt d2
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds