Layout boats

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Layout boats

Postby J-WOW83 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Posted on another thread and was told to make a new thread- New to forum and new to layouts. Curious about Mighty layout boys and UFO layout boats compared to lake bonneville layouts? All kinda the same but priced a lil different. Also curious if anyone has built a layout and the degree of difficulty it is? Is it worth it to build or better off buying? I've seen the UFO plans for sale and kinda interested in doing a build. Just looking for wisdom from some of you that have expertise in this area.
J-WOW83
Newb

Re: Layout boats

Postby threedogs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:01 pm

Search the forum. Theres all kinds of threads about building layout boats.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:58 pm

There is a good bit of info on building boats here!

I built one last summer when I was 18 y/o (Kara Hummer) and modified it to suit me better. It wasnt very hard with the right tools, just time consuming. The boat came out nice and will float 3 people + trolling motor and battery. Worked great the few times I hunted it, but it was quite heavy (aprox. 130lbs) so I bought a boat for this season, and plan to keep my built one as back up for a buddy.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Cantshootwell » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:37 am

I wouldn't buy anything from Bonneville. I've heard nothing but bad things about them.
Refer to this thread, currently a guy is getting screwed over by them.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=270122
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:14 am

Cantshootwell wrote:I wouldn't buy anything from Bonneville. I've heard nothing but bad things about them.
Refer to this thread, currently a guy is getting screwed over by them.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=270122

The boats themselves are amazing! But I do hear that they don't have very good customer service at all. They are based out of my state.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Bonneville has recently changed ownership and has gone through a nasty learning curve. The latest word is that they are starting to deliver an excellent product. Hopefully the caustic posts are over for them as well. I think that they will now bear watching.

As for building your own, Have at it. It will take longer than you think and will be a lot of fun. Depending on where you live, freight for a boat can be the deal breaker often. If you decide to buy, shop the freight. I have had quotes on shipping my motors that vary by a 100% for the same motor to the same place , equal against equal.

I have a build going with my brother currently and it has been a great family experience for both of us. For me it is a "try" boat to demonstrate motors on. For him it gives him something to do after the death of his wife. I am hoping to get the top deck on in time to get it in the water this fall.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby threedogs » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:58 pm

I have found Old Dominion Freight to have the best prices to az.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:12 pm

threedogs wrote:I have found Old Dominion Freight to have the best prices to az.

I use old dominion to ship all kinds of things. They are awesome.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Grouse » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:20 pm

I will disagree on the shipping company. I have a millworks operation and I no longer will use them. Why everything was DESTROYED. Not once but I gave them 3 chances, I only go with cownay now. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:34 am

Grouse wrote:I will disagree on the shipping company. I have a millworks operation and I no longer will use them. Why everything was DESTROYED. Not once but I gave them 3 chances, I only go with cownay now. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Poor packaging.
t_baker
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:32 am

I never had a problem but I don't ship mamas china either..
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:47 am

J-WOW83 wrote:Posted on another thread and was told to make a new thread- New to forum and new to layouts. Curious about Mighty layout boys and UFO layout boats compared to lake bonneville layouts? All kinda the same but priced a lil different. Also curious if anyone has built a layout and the degree of difficulty it is? Is it worth it to build or better off buying? I've seen the UFO plans for sale and kinda interested in doing a build. Just looking for wisdom from some of you that have expertise in this area.

Trust me get a bonnie. The new owner will take care of you personally. If you want a UFO style boat LBLB sells BFO which is identical but a lot stronger boat than what a UFO is. Take it from a guy that has owned everything except banks. I would call Kelly and explain to him the type of water you will be gunning he then can recommend the right boat that will match your needs whatever they may be. Remember you get what you pay for, LBLBs are top of the line....you never hear anyone B!tching once they get one.

I just finished up an order with Kelly this week, I have had great customer service! He is a standup guy and will bend over backwards helping you. Tell him that Matt sent you, he will take good care of you!
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds