Converting standard hull into tunnel hull

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Converting standard hull into tunnel hull

Postby lonewolf9029 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:53 am

Hey Ya'll-Has anyone ever taken the risk to convert their flat bottom into a tunnel hull design. Wondering what to watchout for, before tackling this project. Any suggestions or advice appreciated. Thanks Don
lonewolf9029
hunter

Re: Converting standard hull into tunnel hull

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:26 pm

lonewolf9029 wrote:Hey Ya'll-Has anyone ever taken the risk to convert their flat bottom into a tunnel hull design. Wondering what to watchout for, before tackling this project. Any suggestions or advice appreciated. Thanks Don
I have often thought of doing this. My plan would be to build the tunnel and weld it in the hull and then cut out the bottom material last. I want ot put a turbin in the tunnel at the transom. Mark
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby crohrer » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:16 pm

I HAVE THOUGHT OF DOING THIS ALSO IF ANY BODY HAS DONE THIS PLEASE POST US YOUR IDEA I HAVE A SEA-ARK 2096
crohrer
hunter

Tunnel Hull

Postby txwakesetter » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:13 pm

Wow where to start on this subject. First are you trying to build a full tunnel of 3/4, 1/4. You can built this if your fairley decent at welding aluminum. I've built a half dozen tunnel's on boats that originaly dont have a tunnel. The eaisiest way i've found is to take a piece of PVC pipe of desired width. usaly around 12-16'' on a 12-16' boat. Take the PVC and cut it to the size of desiried length and deepth of tunnel. Now take a thin guaged pice of aluminum plate and bend to the same shape of cut PVC. This takes some work and might need to be heated. If you at all mechinacaly inclined you can figure this out. Once you have the general shape you can tack this down starting from the frount of the boat to the rear. due to disformation of welding. It is smart to use this curved surface for a tunnel if you try to just cut a hole in your baot then weld a box shape up there the entire concept of this idea isant is gone. to much cavation so on and so on. I've allways just kinda altered things as I went, but rember the general concept your trying to acclompish and you should be succeffull. One other thing is think about size of propeller and reffer to that for size of tunnel that you will want.
txwakesetter
Newb

Postby crohrer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:57 pm

It hard to believe that no one hasn't done this yet ,please pass your idea on if any body has some THANK YOU
crohrer
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds