Bimini Blind

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Bimini Blind

Postby Gabagool » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Hey guys. Has anyone ever used a Bimini top as a blind frame? Rather than mount the top on the port and starboard sides, I was going to mount it sideways with the mount points fore and aft so it faces sideways. Has anyone tried this?
Gabagool
hunter

Re: Bimini Blind

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:09 pm

would be too tall I would think and it doesnt have the proper design/ openings to make a good functioning blind.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby T Man » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:22 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:would be too tall I would think and it doesnt have the proper design/ openings to make a good functioning blind.

This

The hardware is widely used to build homemade blind frames though.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:59 pm

Sounds impractical to me. G don't think it will perform up to your expectations. Get some 7/8" bimini and some 3/4 ent and a bender and make one.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:21 am

Well, I gave it a try this weekend and it came out pretty good. I covered the stainless frame with camo duct tape. I used a green mesh, just like what cabelas includes in the northern flight blind kit, as a base cover. I now just need to figure out what to use as the actual camo cover. I was going to use palm mats or marsh grass, but I don't think they will collapse properly when I fold the blind down. Maybe camo netting? What do you guys think? I'll try to upload some pics.
Gabagool
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:44 am

Pics or it don't exsist
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:52 am

Gabagool wrote:Well, I gave it a try this weekend and it came out pretty good. I covered the stainless frame with camo duct tape. I used a green mesh, just like what cabelas includes in the northern flight blind kit, as a base cover. I now just need to figure out what to use as the actual camo cover. I was going to use palm mats or marsh grass, but I don't think they will collapse properly when I fold the blind down. Maybe camo netting? What do you guys think? I'll try to upload some pics.

Burlap has the right color for our marshes and you can weave in some gillie strands here and there...plus it's light and you can see through it.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:53 am

18javelin wrote:Pics or it don't exsist

I'm sorry, I don't understand
Gabagool
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:54 am

Slack Tide wrote:
Gabagool wrote:Well, I gave it a try this weekend and it came out pretty good. I covered the stainless frame with camo duct tape. I used a green mesh, just like what cabelas includes in the northern flight blind kit, as a base cover. I now just need to figure out what to use as the actual camo cover. I was going to use palm mats or marsh grass, but I don't think they will collapse properly when I fold the blind down. Maybe camo netting? What do you guys think? I'll try to upload some pics.

Burlap has the right color for our marshes and you can weave in some gillie strands here and there...plus it's light and you can see through it.

I was thinking about using burlap. Where on LI can you buy it by the yard? And when you say ghillie strands, can you give me an example? Raffia grass? I appreciate the reply.
Gabagool
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:34 am

This is the perfect time of year for burlap because all the landscapers are starting to wrap trees and shrubs etc...
I know you can get it at Lowes or HD...you might be able to get more at Atlantic Nursey in Freeport or other good nurseries...
Look up the camo material section in your Cabellas catalog and see what would fit best in the place you intend to hunt.
I would use black zip ties to secure it to your frame but try to keep it light.
Also, there is ALWAYS straw and seaweed out there, just fine tune it when you get where you are going.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds