Does this boat exist?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Does this boat exist?

Postby boilers22 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:50 am

I've been looking at some different options and wondering if anyone has a setup similar to what I'm wanting. I'm looking for a small (10' probably) boat that I can throw in the back of my truck and put a motor on (prefereably gas) to use on solo hunts on the local river when the water is low. It would be just me (190 lbs), dog (75 lbs), and maybe 2 doz decoys plus normal gear. Ideally, it would also be able to get up on plane (safely) but not break any speed records. I think I'm asking too much... Likely would fall back to something with a higher thrust trolling motor. Any ideas?
Justin
boilers22
hunter

Re: Does this boat exist?

Postby z51 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:11 am

Yes, Weldbilt boats builds a 1036. However, any 10' boat is too small IMO for a gas motor and the load you describe, you need a 12'.
It is still light and small enough to carry in a pickup.
z51
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:09 am

When I first started out I just had a 12" jon that I built a blind on. I was running a 6hp Evinrude that I picked up for $200. I would guess it ran about 10 MPH with me (180 pounds) and gear ( 100 pounds). I did have mine on a trailer but it could have been carried in the back of the truck. I used this rig for about two years then I upgraded to a 14'.
TaylorMann1
hunter

Postby Johnny-O » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:42 am

Check out these two options... The Bluebill is heavier at 150lbs but it takes up to a 9 hp motor. The Migrator is only 95lbs but your restricted to 2 hp.

http://www.carstensindustries.com/bluebill.html

https://fourriverslayoutboats.com/produ ... kWmqMZnHkc

Johnny-O
Johnny-O
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:53 am

There is no amount of money that you could pay me to get me into a 10' john boat with an outboard with a dog and dekes during duck season. I would do it during the summer when hypothermia isn't an option.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:49 am

I have a 16 ft'r with a 40m horse and a pump on it with a 4 horse kicker and I am now looking for something bigger! With me (250) plus the new lab (75) and gear, plus a buddy I am out of room.

I agree with the above poster, the only way you could get me in a ten footer during duck season is if my boat sank!

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:18 pm

T Man wrote:There is no amount of money that you could pay me to get me into a 10' john boat with an outboard with a dog and dekes during duck season. I would do it during the summer when hypothermia isn't an option.

10' is a widow maker
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:58 am

Before I built myself a boat I used a 12 foot Jon boat with a 3.5 hp motor. Used it in a small lake / big pond. Motor would break the shear pin easily. I leaned on the back transom to look at the prop and the boat started to flood. Didn't realize it right away until there was a couple of inches of water in the boat. Would never use a 10' in a river or moving water with that load. Be safe, go with a little bigger boat that may be heavier, but you have options with.
I like throwing a boat in the back of he truck and just going but a safe boat might need a trailer.
Remember not all boats are the same based on length alone. Width, hull type and design means a lot. River usually means current so think about something with at least a modified v hull. Flat bottom boats will need to be bigger and have a little more HP to react the same way as a v hull in moving water. Found out the hard way it sucks to be underpowered in to small of a boat fighting a current up river that you can't gain on, with the weather changing for the worst.

10 foot boat great for backwater ponds or swamps with no current and not over your head deep.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby pwhnts5 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:35 pm

Look at the Phowler Prowler 1236, this is a great one man rig with just a 10-14 hp copperhead and it will fly. It might be a bit much for the back of a pick-up with the motor on it, but a simple inexpensive PWC trailer works great with these boats. You can motor into just a few inches of water over hard bottom and less then an inch in soft bottom areas. Best part, you can run this boat in 2-3' waves with confidence, it can handle very rough water safety.

Do some research and visit our website to see if this type of rig would meet your needs.

PW
This is a 14' with a 12 hp at slow speed in the timber.
Attachments
DSC00013.JPG
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby Nathan Hoyt » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:08 pm

A 10' jon boat is a substitute for a bass buggy. A 12' jon boat is a reasonable suggestion, but I'd consider a 16' flat back canoe or a 13' Gheenoe with a 6 hp for what you describe. It is a bit longer than you planned, but will handle the load described, light enough to be easily hauled in a truck bed and launched anywhere, moves easily with the small motor (not slow, but not fast), is stable enough for those without inner ear issues, seaworthy enough for light chop and floats pretty shallow. It is also a cheap rig to buy.

Nate
"Never inquire regarding the endeavors of a fanatic... ...he might respond."
Nathan Hoyt
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:13 am

my buddys got a 10' I got in it ONCE and that's when I was 165lbs im now 220 and hes always bragin about how much he can get it. yea I like to live I wont got any smaller then my 14' flat bottom or my 12' pintail.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:17 am

Suddenly you go from hunting small water to taking a 10 ft boat into the ocean.... :hammer:

If you want to consider building, look at the Hybrids.

Using the US Coastguard rules, you might get a 5 hp to be "legal" on a 10 footer. It should plane you. Most guys seem to use 5 hp on 8 & 9 ft versions cause a 3 hp won't plane it. Gonna be hard to find a 10 ft boat that will plane with "legal" power.

The NL Hybrid boats are extremely stable for their size. Check out the post on here called Hybrid NL Semi-V and see what someone else has to say.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby boilers22 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Appreciate all the input fellas, I do already have a 16' phowler/36 PD (which I love) so anything requiring a trailer isn't much of a change. Just looking for something that would be easier to drag through some really shallow areas with current by myself and be able to throw in the back of the truck. I'm really liking the flat stern canoe options and am looking into those. Added length isn't a problem, just thought something about 10' would be as much as I could handle solo without a trailer. Thanks again.
Justin
boilers22
hunter

Postby Kismet » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm biased as all-heck, but check out Golden Hawk canoes with Y stern. car top or trailer, I'd say, though.

be safe.
Kis
For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year long.
Kismet
hunter

Postby MotoStar929rr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Id be leery of anything less than 12'...I had a 1436 that was SCARY unstable. Id go at least 36 wide if not 40+. Depending on the requirements, you may be interested in a rig I have up for sale for a great price, check out the classifieds. It's a 12x40 custom aluminum sneak boat for sale. I have used it multiple times with no trailer, dragging it in and out of the truck bed. Runs shallow, does great with a 6.5hp surface drive, would do well with an outboard too. http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=227931 Good luck whatever you end up with. NO matter what, be safe out there. No hunt is worth taking unnecessary risks or being unsafe. :thumbsup:
MotoStar929rr
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:43 pm

A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JustStartin' » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:16 pm

I like my beavertail final attack. With my 3 horse I get up to 6-7 mph. Paddling sucks tho it's a barge compared to a kayak. And you cant fit your dog. But I don't really paddle where I hunt. Check it out I posted pics of mine as I'm building a cover check it out.
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby John Duck » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:22 pm

Here is your dream boat, right here. They did make a 10 ft., that actually is the quote for the 56 pound weight as the specs now read 72 pounds or always did I guess, well, that is something as this boat seems like 56 pounds all these years when you compare it to similar size boats that weight close to 200. Lightness is ALWAYS the first consideration. 10 foot boats will have more draft and not as good for shallow as a longer boat. I stuff the X-13 in a Ranger pickup and no problem, just put on a red flag.
What about a super fly-weight 13 Ft. Duck boat that weights in at, get this! 58 pounds. Built in floatation and your boat will weigh less than most motors you will use. Wide stable beam and like I said 58 POUNDS! A single person can use just a 2 1/2 H.P. overhead cam 4 cycle Suzuki (30 pounds) and plane on step with gear at 15-18 mph. Step up to a 4 Tohutsu (58 pounds) (double the HP double the weight) and it will plane 2 hunters and go where most mud motors will if set up right with weight forward configuration. I will use 1/4 the fuel of a mud-motor, deadly quite, not loud racket that scares the hell out of ducks. You can portage this rig into areas that mud, jet and air powered heavy rigs will never see. This is a duck boat with a super low profile made of aircraft lightweight aluminum and I have used mine in the rough and tough of Alaska for 8 years with 0 problems. It is not a big water boat, but we have crossed some big water with it but are practiced sea-men. People claim they are "thinking out of the box" but then do the same old. This IS thinking out of the box and it is called the x-13 Sportspal. Lightest, best priced, most efficient duck boats out there and it can be used as an all around boat as it does not have the closed cockpit and combing affair that is seldom needed.
John Duck hunter Posts: 25Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:25 pm
John Duck
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds