mud motor noise question

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

mud motor noise question

Postby cj6530 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:13 am

I am considering a mud boat as a special purpose duck rig. My only reservation on the boat is the noise. Has anyone had second thoughts after hunting from these rigs because of the noise? I guess I am wondering if owing a mud boat will take the whole "relaxing" part of duck hunting out of the fun. In short....the means won't justify the ends. Any thoughts?
cj6530
Newb

Re: mud motor noise question

Postby johntmeyer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:18 am

my buddy has a gatotail and always complains about not being able to hear after driving to our spot with his gatortail.
and as most of us know being able to hear is important cause i know there are many times i hear ducks before i see them, but you cant take away from mud motors ability it get places outboards can't. so id say just deal with it and you can also wear ear protection
johntmeyer
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:19 pm

I have pretty good experience in this dept.

I've owned SEVERAL boats, I've gone through them like underwear unfortunatly...

First mm I had was a 6.5 longtail, I now settled with a 24 v twin 4 stroke. EVEN with it being a 4 stroke, it is still a loud machine.

do not, I repeat do not purchase one until you personally can ride in one and get a feeling for it, make sure you get to ride in it, in the water. Not just a crank it up in the parking lot kind of deal. big difference. I was sold the first ride I ever took in one, the alternative, after spring turkey, it comes off and the outboard goes on.

IMO, the two negatives to a mm, is the outragous tourqe (If it is a longtail, surface drive are night and day difference, but still has some.) and the noise is the second. I have a 16.5' monarch, and with the 24hp running, I can't hear my front guy yelling back to me on the motor... As for once you get to the spot, it's not like a constant ringing kind of loud where the rest of the day I can't hear.

PM me if you have any questions, I can tell you lots of people (at least my friends) say they love the mm's, but if you don't WANT it and USE it, its going to be a burden in the long run...

Hope this helps some...
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Keep the motor stock...especially the exhaust...and you should not have any problems. I run a single-cylinder LT, my three buddies run V-twin LT's. All the units are stock. Noise has never been an issue with any of our boats.

I've heard some modified SD's on the marsh that would definitely require ear muffs, though.........
mudpack
hunter

Postby Cliner » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:06 pm

They're loud, no doubt about it. I have a 6.5 longtail for my Four Rivers and it is pretty darn loud. Whatever you do, make sure you set the right angle of the cavitation plate or else some of the longtails can be a real beech to handle.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby FFT » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:46 pm

I dont really consider mud boats a relaxing experience. They are less reliable than outboards and take you into areas you would normally not travel. I have had some nerve wracking experiences in remote areas and have often considered if a rescue helicopter would allow me get in with my gun, dog, and birds.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:03 pm

FFT wrote:I dont really consider mud boats a relaxing experience. They are less reliable than outboards and take you into areas you would normally not travel. I have had some nerve wracking experiences in remote areas and have often considered if a rescue helicopter would allow me get in with my gun, dog, and birds.

I disagree here, I'd take my longtail anywhere before my outboard as for reliability. But as for a "relaxation" type ride.... Yes the mud motor isn't your best bet.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:38 pm

jakefromflorida wrote:
FFT wrote:I dont really consider mud boats a relaxing experience. They are less reliable than outboards and take you into areas you would normally not travel. I have had some nerve wracking experiences in remote areas and have often considered if a rescue helicopter would allow me get in with my gun, dog, and birds.

I disagree here, I'd take my longtail anywhere before my outboard as for reliability. But as for a "relaxation" type ride.... Yes the mud motor isn't your best bet.

Jake , you wouldn't by chance deal with swamp runner motors do you :hi:
dogyak
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:05 am

dogyak wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:

Jake , you wouldn't by chance deal with swamp runner motors do you :hi:

Came super close to buying one!!!

Co worker of mine says he will be getting one soon. I've had the chance to talk to many people about them, and they sound very reliable.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby FFT » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:10 am

jakefromflorida wrote:

I have to agree about the utility in backwater areas. Up here sometime we have to cross the bay front and face some pretty rough stuff. The wind blown salt water can really chew up an air cooled motor. It definatly depends on the area where you hunt, but there are also areas where a longtail is useless and that would be big water.

FFT
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:52 am

FFT wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:

I have to agree about the utility in backwater areas. Up here sometime we have to cross the bay front and face some pretty rough stuff. The wind blown salt water can really chew up an air cooled motor. It definatly depends on the area where you hunt, but there are also areas where a longtail is useless and that would be big water.

I guess it does all depend on area, I have no issues on "big water" here in fl.... Lol, which isn't much. Its all personal preference I guess
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:17 pm

jakefromflorida wrote:
FFT wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:

I guess it does all depend on area, I have no issues on "big water" here in fl.... Lol, which isn't much. Its all personal preference I guess

Where are you located Jake? I could never let myself take a mm into saltwater, but thats the only big water that I hunt.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:11 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:
FFT wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:

Where are you located Jake? I could never let myself take a mm into saltwater, but thats the only big water that I hunt.

When I lived down south FL, I would take my little 6.5 on a gheenoe through saltwater all the time. Granted I would stay in the shallows and intercoastel areas. So, I apologize... as for "big water" like the ocean... lol, no, I do not take my mud motor.

But all the top biggest lakes in FL I've ran my mm across without any issues. Not saying they are huge by anymeans, but I know lots of folks who wouldn't run there boat across em.

Saltwater doesn't worry me, I bought the motor as a tool. I can't remeber the guys name, but I went with a friend down south to Tampa area to buy a 25 go devil from a guy who hunted religously with his ALL in saltwater. I betcha hes on this forum somewhere.

But no, saltwater or big water doesnt bother me, again.... that is big water with no salt in it... lol :thumbsup:
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:18 am

jakefromflorida wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:
FFT wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:

When I lived down south FL, I would take my little 6.5 on a gheenoe through saltwater all the time. Granted I would stay in the shallows and intercoastel areas. So, I apologize... as for "big water" like the ocean... lol, no, I do not take my mud motor.

But all the top biggest lakes in FL I've ran my mm across without any issues. Not saying they are huge by anymeans, but I know lots of folks who wouldn't run there boat across em.

Saltwater doesn't worry me, I bought the motor as a tool. I can't remeber the guys name, but I went with a friend down south to Tampa area to buy a 25 go devil from a guy who hunted religously with his ALL in saltwater. I betcha hes on this forum somewhere.

But no, saltwater or big water doesnt bother me, again.... that is big water with no salt in it... lol :thumbsup:

Understandable. Id love to have a long tail along with my outboard to swap out periodically depending on the water I hunt. I'd like to be able to run the outboard in the bay and throw the long tail on to hit smaller lakes. Maybe one day when I'm not so poor.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:55 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:
FFT wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:

Understandable. Id love to have a long tail along with my outboard to swap out periodically depending on the water I hunt. I'd like to be able to run the outboard in the bay and throw the long tail on to hit smaller lakes. Maybe one day when I'm not so poor.

I hear ya, I'm without a outboard right now. When I had my gheenoe with 6.5 , I would swap it with a 9.9 Suzuki for flats fishing. It was a great rig. I just got a larger boat, so dishing out close to another 1k for a outboard isn't in the financial plan this year, lol.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:07 am

I'm willing to bet you don't have a MM. Speaking in terms of reliability, the MM wins. Air cooled vs water cooled, how many times have people sucked something up their outboard and ruined their day? If I hit something with the prop on a MM I don't have to worry about a sheer pin. If they weren't "reliable" I wouldn't have one......
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby FFT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:32 pm

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:

I'm willing to bet you don't have a MM. Speaking in terms of reliability, the MM wins. Air cooled vs water cooled, how many times have people sucked something up their outboard and ruined their day? If I hit something with the prop on a MM I don't have to worry about a sheer pin. If they weren't "reliable" I wouldn't have one......

Willing to bet? Get over yourself. Lemme guess, you have some half ass pos you hammered together with a habor freight motor?

FFT
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:51 pm

FFT wrote:
ctdeathfrombelow wrote:

Willing to bet? Get over yourself. Lemme guess, you have some half ass pos you hammered together with a habor freight motor?

Just for the record, those pos harbor freight motors lasted me 3 seasons before I sold it. Never had the first problem with it either. Just my experience with them. :thumbsup:
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:32 pm

Wow FFT , really wanted to insult . For the record , I have a swamp runner HF Mud motor . The rig works awesome for one , second off at the ramp , got a friend that has a 9 month old Nissan 10hp outboard that wouldn't start this weekend . I know some people who have this same rig for over 3 yrs with good service to this day . At a price tag of under 560 for a 6.5 hp set-up , sounds like an awesome deal to me . :thumbsup: You are in NJ on mainly open water , very different from the swamp water we use . Your outboard engine wouldn't get you far without you having to get out of your boat and dragging a sled thru muck for over 100-200 yds bud :no: . Oh , another good thing on the HF Predator motor , a two year warranty with no questions ask . Mudbuddy doesn't do that :tongue:
dogyak
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:23 pm

dogyak wrote:Wow FFT , really wanted to insult . For the record , I have a swamp runner HF Mpeopleotor . The rig works awesome for one , second off at the ramp , got a friend that has a 9 month old Nissan 10hp outboard that wouldn't start this weekend . I know some people who have this same rig for over 3 yrs with good service to this day . At a price tag of under 560 for a 6.5 hp set-up , sounds like an awesome deal to me . :thumbsup: You are in NJ on mainly open water , very different from the swamp water we use . Your outboard engine wouldn't get you far without you having to get out of your boat and dragging a sled thru muck for over 100-200 yds bud :no: . Oh , another good thing on the HF Predator motor , a two year warranty with no questions ask . Mudbuddy doesn't do that :tongue:

:thumbsup: :beer:

Agreed

I'm sure the roles would be reversed if we were north so its not a bashing thing. I just think peop misunderstand how mm work, there for they get a bad rep.

Back to the OP, as you can see it is a personal preference and location based .
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:13 am

Yes, thing change a bit up north. And for the record, the only insult was cast toward the expert who seems familiar with my lack of a beastly mud rig.

FFT
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:21 am

FFT wrote:Yes, thing change a bit up north. And for the record, the only insult was cast toward the expert who seems familiar with my lack of a beastly mud rig.

Lol, I didn't take it to heart. Beastly or not I enjoy my rig. Now if I could just say the same about my shooting skills lol
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:29 am

jakefromflorida wrote:
FFT wrote:Yes, thing change a bit up north. And for the record, the only insult was cast toward the expert who seems familiar with my lack of a beastly mud rig.

Lol, I didn't take it to heart. Beastly or not I enjoy my rig. Now if I could just say the same about my shooting skills lol

A little off topic, but the last time i was visiting my sis in tampa i swore i saw a couple hundred cans in the bay and a pile of bills on the road to orlando. Are you guys seeing big numbers of ducks like that?

Last edited by FFT on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
FFT
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:30 am

jakefromflorida wrote:

Maybe less yoga in the boat and more time on the range

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:30 am

FFT wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:

A little off topic, but the last time i was visiting my sis in tampa i swore i saw a co

What's a co?

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds