New duck boat build

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: New duck boat build

Postby midwesthunter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Update new ignition switch will be here today so I will be hard at work getting it wired so I can get it running

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
midwesthunter
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:08 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:
you lost 2 miles with a four blade 10x13.

No, 3 blade to 3 blade. Merc 10x13 top speed was 28.7, solas is 26.5 according to gps
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:03 pm

if there same what causes the loss of speed. just askin becsaue Im in need of a new blade for my boat got into the rocks and not sure of pitch im in need of
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:13 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:if there same what causes the loss of speed. just askin becsaue Im in need of a new blade for my boat got into the rocks and not sure of pitch im in need of

Different propeller efficiencies. One prop may have a little bit more cup, or a little bit different shape.

As far as choosing a prop for your boat, it is easy to find a prop that works pretty well for your boat, but takes testing several different pitches based on the normal load to ideally prop a boat. If there are any numbers stamped on your prop they will indicate the size and pitch, and if the boat ran fine with the propeller you had on it, I would use the same size.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:42 pm

So is it the steerung cable or the swivel tube?.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby midwesthunter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:10 pm

It feels like the steering tube itself not the swivel mount
Also got the ignition in and working, my only issue is a lack of spark at the plugs have not started to trace back yet because I'm not sure which wires should be hot any input would be great

midwesthunter
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:42 am

I can't really help on the ignition without seeing it. You should have spark at least at a couple of the cylinders??

Onto the steering tube. This process is slow but cheap and easy. It requires a propane torch, Degreaser, and a grease gun and some small brushes to remove grease.

1 degrease entire motor. Below block in housing and steering tube area top and bottom.
2 heat main section of steering tube with torch. This hard to gauge but use moderate heat. Be careful not melt seals, wiring and other things that catch fire.
3. This process may take hours. You are heating up a few inches of metal and the finally melting the grease inside.
4. Manually move motor left and right several times allowing that dirty corroded grease to break free.
5. Add more grease through upper and lower zirks.

This process will take a lot of time and is messy, but you don't need to break down the motor. Most important ruling is move slow with the torch and transfer heat side to side. You want the entire swivel tube to heat somewhat evenly and the flush fresh grease into the area.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby midwesthunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:12 am

Zero spark, talked to a couple local mechanics and the general consensus is the control module

midwesthunter
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:14 pm

midwesthunter wrote:Zero spark, talked to a couple local mechanics and the general consensus is the control module

Maybe, maybe not. What is the status of the black and yellow wire? This is the kill switch/ignition off wire. The same wire that caused you and I to have a no start at the boat ramp in my boat this spring. Also check the kill switch, and make sure it is not off. Also, there should be a master fuse, I think 20a that sits on the port side of the motor in an inline fuse holder. Check that to make sure it isn't blown. What is the year of the motor, ill see if I can find a manual on it.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby DaveWomach » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:29 pm

WOW! Looks awesome! I just got a boat too, but it's nowhere as nice as yours! lol!
Anxiously awaiting duck hunting season!
DaveWomach
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:46 pm

If the master 20 amp inline fuse is blown the motor won't even turn over. My fuse got corrosion inside the fuse and the motor wouldn't even click, pop, or fart. That's a technical term.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby midwesthunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:41 am

It is a 1975. The motor turns over but no kick. I've traced all wires with multimeter and have voltage. Then only thing that threw me for a curve was when I took a reading off the module I was getting negative readings. But wires elsewhere read correctly and motor/starter spin the correct direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
midwesthunter
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Pull a plug, ground the tip to the block, crank motor a few times. Look for a spark. Do this on each cylinder to rule out power packs or ignition module. Power packs are specific to each cylinder.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby midwesthunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Already checked spark on all four. Same story on each no spark

midwesthunter
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:13 am

Go to iboats or any other website and order new module. That would be my best guess. Probably not a bad idea anyways, since the motor is mod 70's.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:18 am

Black wire should have ground. Switch the leads around and you wont get negative voltage. Try disconnecting the mercury switch and then juming it to see if that is what is causing the problem. I dont remember if those provide constant ground and then remove ground when the kill switch is engaged, or if they provide ground when the kill switch is engaged.

Merc 500 Thunderbolt ignition
Attachments
26A.jpg
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby midwesthunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Got my new ignition module in and it fired right up. Very pleased to say the least. After that I started the paint, started by cleaning aluminum and wire brushing the decals to get them cleaned off then primed with aluminum primer. Laid a tan base coat then using t-mans method I misted with brown. Also painted the trailer.Image

midwesthunter
hunter

Postby midwesthunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:40 am

Update...Continuing the paint on the boat and starting to seal plywood for the decks. It goes to my welder on saturday to have a small crack in the hull repaired then i will get the floor buttoned down and be ready to start wiring for nav/fog lights/bildge etc. Pictures to follow later on
midwesthunter
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:45 am

What are you using to seal the decks?
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby midwesthunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:05 am

A spar urethane with a deck over type product on the top for ease of cleaning and a bit of grip.

midwesthunter
hunter

Postby midwesthunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Also looking into steering options. It is a push pull style. I have the wheel and cable but none of the assembly to connect the two. Anybody familiar with these that may have a picture or two to share?
midwesthunter
hunter

Postby midwesthunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:45 pm

ImageImage slow but steady progress
midwesthunter
hunter

Postby midwesthunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:11 am

So a lot has happened since my last post. The welding has been done the floor is sealed and installed, wiring is 80% still have to wire the bilge pump and find some better lights for up front not happy with the Wally World led's. But you get what you pay for and they were on clearance for 20$. Steering helm is on its way and will be installed within the week. Then it's time for a test ride to see how she handles. Pictures will follow later because tapatalk is not wanting to play nicely.
midwesthunter
hunter

Postby midwesthunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:17 am

ImageImageImage

midwesthunter
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:53 pm

What did you use for the floor?
T Man
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds