what would be the perfect boat for my application

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

what would be the perfect boat for my application

Postby Take em boys » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:28 pm

from boat launch to hunting area about 1.5 miles Crossing a 100 yard wide slloowwwwww moving river pretty much a still water

mostly thru weeded areas from river to spots

I will let the boat limit me to how many decoys I can carry

I will let the boat limit me to if I can have a dog or not

Boats im thinking of some kind of kayak or a flat bottom john

Whats your opinions??

(Area is very heavily hunted so having a boat to get me into hard to reach areas could pay off)
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Re: what would be the perfect boat for my application

Postby copterdoc » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:34 pm

A layout, with a Rickshaw mini-longtail.

You can build a kayak or canoe into a layout. Or, you can build a hybrid. Or, you can buy a Four Rivers, Marsh Rat, Otter, Carstens, etc.

I wouldn't go shorter than 13' with a dog. Also, wouldn't go shorter than 11' without a dog.
And lastly, I wouldn't hunt ducks, without a dog.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:41 pm

copterdoc wrote:A layout, with a Rickshaw mini-longtail.

You can build a kayak or canoe into a layout. Or, you can build a hybrid. Or, you can buy a Four Rivers, Marsh Rat, Otter, Carstens, etc.

I wouldn't go shorter than 13' with a dog. Also, wouldn't go shorter than 11' without a dog.
And lastly, I wouldn't hunt ducks, without a dog.

lol okay how many decoys would I cary in say a 14 foot yak??
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:43 pm

I can carry 3 dozen comfortably, with a dog, in a 13' canoe.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:52 pm

really? that's awesome what kayak do you have??? also note this will be to get to point A to point B using boat as a blind on shore so im not gonna be throwing 3.5 inch shells out in the middle

Colton
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Take em boys wrote:really? that's awesome what kayak do you have???
I don't have a kayak. I have an aluminum canoe, with aluminum side sponsons, that probably haven't been made in 40 years.

It works out really slick.
Tracks like a canoe, but stable like a wide hybrid that doesn't track like a canoe.

And I love that Rickshaw motor. I can make a 3+ mile run, without needing to add gas.
However, if I want to get back, well, then I do need to add gas!
copterdoc
hunter

Postby scupbarron » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:10 am

square stern canoe type boat ..gheenoe, scanoe etc. use it fishing too. gets away with small hp. i use an 15' american eagle square stern with a 4hp in what sounds like similiar situation. can stand in mine. boat weighs 70lbs. transports easy on cart or back of pickup
scupbarron
hunter

Postby scupbarron » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:57 am

...its 42" wide and 15' and a little in length. i'm 150lbs so can stand stabily. hides well in marsh especially in a drainage ditch, i made a ghillie type top for it with netting and raffia. just got a momarsh seat which i'll be trying soon. i was using a kayak at one point so i can give a comparison. This much more comfortable. kayak was very cramped and was i always wet and limited to 15 decoys ..plus had to paddle. kayak hid well though i'll give it that. you can put a ton of decoys in this if needed. i pile them up front as it needs some weight there to keep bow down when motoring. this still paddles well enough too.

american eagle canoe.jpg
scupbarron
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:25 am

scupbarron wrote:square stern canoe type boat ..gheenoe, scanoe etc. use it fishing too. gets away with small hp. i use an 15' american eagle square stern with a 4hp in what sounds like similiar situation. can stand in mine. boat weighs 70lbs. transports easy on cart or back of pickup

that's awesome any pics with blind on it??? ever put a dog in their? what about another person??

Colton
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby scupbarron » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:43 am

2nd person no problem. Me and girlfriend out on it all summer ...plus coolers etc. ..still room to fish too. standed up scooping crabs in it just yesterday with her on front seat next time i got cover on i'll take pic. cover i made weighs next to nothing, costs little to make and looks sharp. this type of boat can be found on craigslist all day long. i paid 100 for the hull. had pin hole leak, meaningless in a fiberglass one as simple to repair if you been around boats and worked with fiberglass. Type in "square stern canoe", "flat back canoe" etc on craigslist ...grumman has aluminum ones, a scanoe is poly plastic etc. . At first i thought this might be a tad big for flinging in water alone but its not bad. From house i take it to water on a standard kayak cart ..with the 60lb motor on back to the river which is like 150yds away. To transport to other bodies of water i put in full size picup with a strap from bow eye to truck bed cleats on either side
scupbarron
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:14 pm

price range?

if money isn't a problem maybe a mud boat or air boat.

More practical approach would be using a momarsh with a long tail.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby scupbarron » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:02 pm

...heres canoe cover i made with some netting and dollar store rafia attached w/tie wraps . simple. hit raffia with a little spray paint to give it golden brown salt marsh in fall shade. you can see momarsh seat in middle. made flap that covers myself

canoe grass cover.jpg
scupbarron
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:30 pm

Four rivers ebads layout boat I carry over 6 dozen decoys and a dog rated for up to 13 HP with weight of 180 lbs. I have one and its a awesome boat
coulterville33
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:47 pm

coulterville33 wrote:Four rivers ebads layout boat I carry over 6 dozen decoys and a dog rated for up to 13 HP with weight of 180 lbs. I have one and its a awesome boat

Holy cow, thats quite the dog! 180lbs and it can have a 13hp motor!

To the op, what are other people in your area using for boats? Knowing local conditions is huge when determining boat size. We have a lake here in KS that is fairly small, but it is also shallow. When the wind kicks up even a little bit, there gets to be dangerous chop on it. I will take my 1652 out on two of the biggest reservoirs here in KS, but I wont take it out on John O'Neil which is considerably smaller.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Take em boys » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:37 pm

T Man wrote:
coulterville33 wrote:Four rivers ebads layout boat I carry over 6 dozen decoys and a dog rated for up to 13 HP with weight of 180 lbs. I have one and its a awesome boat

Holy cow, thats quite the dog! 180lbs and it can have a 13hp motor!

To the op, what are other people in your area using for boats? Knowing local conditions is huge when determining boat size. We have a lake here in KS that is fairly small, but it is also shallow. When the wind kicks up even a little bit, there gets to be dangerous chop on it. I will take my 1652 out on two of the biggest reservoirs here in KS, but I wont take it out on John O'Neil which is considerably smaller.

I have talked to people who use great big boats and people who have canoes and every thing in between seems like most guys I have seen out their have just been in a 10-14 ft john with a little motor on it but im wanting to get back 1/4 mile in the lily pads were I know most these guys cant go (hopefully)
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:22 pm

-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:26 pm

Take em boys wrote:http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/4086016045.html

so like this one??

That looks like a pretty good canoe, and the price isnt terrible either. Do you have much experience in a canoe?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby coulterville33 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Four rivers Ebads with a 7 HP longtail 14 mph across the water and I never had to push my boat I need 3 inches of water
coulterville33
hunter

Postby scupbarron » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:49 am

so like this one??

...that one looks great. price right. Something new like that costs well over a grand. spend the money on reliable motor. Get a motor with gas tank built into motor, less clutter. I have a 4hp yamaha fourstroke on mine. doesnt fly but cruises along at maybe 10 mph. 42" wide and flatish should be quite stable. long as doesnt leak i dont think can go wrong.
scupbarron
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:19 am

so like this one??

Just remember, duck season ISN'T the time to get used to a canoe. They can be tippy if you are unfamiliar with them, couple that with cold water and cool air temperatures, things can get dangerous. Even with air temps in the 50's hypothermia is a real possibility.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Take em boys » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:14 am

yes I used to have a 15 foot cqanoe and yes if you farted wrong it would tip lol I built pontoons on the side of it and got it so stable me and a buddy would could bowfish from it both standing up.... are these flat back canoes any more stable???
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby scupbarron » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:21 am

generally square stern canoes are more stable as there designed to handle small motor. ..with that said some are more stable then others. wider it is it becomes more boat like and looses its ease of paddling characteristics. its a trade off. depends how big you are too and how much weight you wanna drag around. on big water a canoe is not ideal but for sheltered creeks and such its ideal. I have a small 16' carolina skiff too but wouldnt even bother taking it duck hunting too heavy and big to hide plus gotta go through hassle of trailering. . when i flip engine up i can paddle or pole canoe in inches of water, with the other i'd find myself stuck . . i take carolina skiff clamming and if i find myself high and dry after tide drops its a real bitch to move. if only want a boat exclusively for duckhunting and got the cash a fancy layout boat might be perfect. Again, Its a trade off
Last edited by scupbarron on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
scupbarron
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:50 am

Take em boys wrote:from boat launch to hunting area about 1.5 miles Crossing a 100 yard wide slloowwwwww moving river pretty much a still water

mostly thru weeded areas from river to spots

I will let the boat limit me to how many decoys I can carry

I will let the boat limit me to if I can have a dog or not

Boats im thinking of some kind of kayak or a flat bottom john

Whats your opinions??

(Area is very heavily hunted so having a boat to get me into hard to reach areas could pay off)

Are you wanting to hunt from the boat in the middle of the river or along the bank?

I have layout boats that I use on big water, I would be tempted to just paddle them out with a bag of decoys strapped on the front of the layout and set up where ever. I have a marsh around me that is swallow and when teal and gaddies are around a buddy and I walk both of our layouts out and set up in the middle of the open water areas. 9/10 I will be walking back to the truck limited out while everyone else is waiting on the third bird. LBLB makes a smaller layout that you can paddle easily and a door/blind system so you can attach brush or what not if you desire. May be worth thinking about hunting where everyone else can't hunt.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby pwhnts5 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:28 pm

Look at our Phowler Prowler 12-1436. You can go all the places you just mentioned without compromising area for modest decoy spread, dog and even a second hunter. Put just a 14 hp copperhead on back and you can get anywhere you want at speed and in and out of the junk pretty easy. The area you just described is one of the types of hunting we designed the Prowler for, but if you want to venture to big water areas, the boat can handle it safely.

PW
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby muddinduckz » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:54 am

Hey Phowler Boat Company has a couple real good options for you. Look us up, we build a nice line of sneak boats and light john boats that would be perfect for your application. :beer:
PHOWLER BOAT COMPANY.....Toughest Boats on or Off the Water!!!!
1701 Main Ave. Clinton, Iowa 52730
Contact us at www.phowlerboatcompany.com or (563) 503-1554
muddinduckz
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds