what would be the perfect boat for my application

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: what would be the perfect boat for my application

Postby toolmaker » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:59 am

you should throw in a little more details on your wants and needs....first off. Can you trailer this boat you want?? or does it have to be transported in a pick up bed or on top of a car?

second, are you up for buying a motor.....paddling 1.5 miles BOTH ways, sounds like a sucky hunt to me just to get to and back from the spot...now if you are jump shooting along the way, its different... did you say that you have a dog or no??

if you have a dog and you get a canoe...your dog better be well trained....i took a guy with an untrained BIG lab and we canoes down a very shallow river and every time that dammm Great blue heron took off from shore his dog jumped out of the boat!!! lucky the paddles could hit bottom easily and we didnt tip...I sure wish that heron flew more than 300 yards every time!!!!!!!!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby IAdukhntr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:27 pm

My skiff would be perfect for you and yes it is for sale.
Attachments
Skiff 2.JPG
IAdukhntr
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:44 pm

toolmaker wrote:you should throw in a little more details on your wants and needs....first off. Can you trailer this boat you want?? or does it have to be transported in a pick up bed or on top of a car?

second, are you up for buying a motor.....paddling 1.5 miles BOTH ways, sounds like a sucky hunt to me just to get to and back from the spot...now if you are jump shooting along the way, its different... did you say that you have a dog or no??

if you have a dog and you get a canoe...your dog better be well trained....i took a guy with an untrained BIG lab and we canoes down a very shallow river and every time that dammm Great blue heron took off from shore his dog jumped out of the boat!!! lucky the paddles could hit bottom easily and we didnt tip...I sure wish that heron flew more than 300 yards every time!!!!!!!!!

the tool

yes I can haul a trailer and yes I was wanting to put a motor on it and I do have a dog this will be her first year im kind of thinking to just wait it out maybey half way thru the year or next year on the boat ill get some expierence under her belt first

Thanks!!

Colton
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:18 pm

IAdukhntr wrote:My skiff would be perfect for you and yes it is for sale.

I just picked up the same boat a month ago!! are those seats factory??? they are missing in mine..I have the raised fiberglass sections in the floor only....looks like a really neat boat

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby IAdukhntr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:47 pm

toolmaker wrote:

I just picked up the same boat a month ago!! are those seats factory??? they are missing in mine..I have the raised fiberglass sections in the floor only....looks like a really neat boat

the tool

Yes they are factory seats. I love the boat but have a daughter and new son-in-law that also hunts and need more room..I can haul the skiff on the trailer or in back of my truck. I also have a snap-on cover for the opening of the boat. Killed many many birds in this boat.
IAdukhntr
hunter

Postby scupbarron » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:09 am

..what brand/model boat and how long/heavy. looks like has canoe like hull.
scupbarron
hunter

Postby IAdukhntr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:07 am

scupbarron wrote:

..what brand/model boat and how long/heavy. looks like has canoe like hull.

It is an Herters goose/duck. 13 ft long the info say 400 lbs. Simular to a canoe hull. I don't use it because daughter and son-in-law hunt with me now.
IAdukhntr
hunter

Postby scupbarron » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:54 am

wow, heavy. built like tank i bet. bitch to drag if end up high and dry.
scupbarron
hunter

Postby IAdukhntr » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:40 am

I have never had an issue with being high and dry so far. 2 guys can pick it up and carry it.
IAdukhntr
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:30 am

scupbarron wrote:wow, heavy. built like tank i bet. bitch to drag if end up high and dry.

I have one of those herters Goose-Duck models like in the picture. it weighs about 120 lbs max......

NOT even close to 400 lbs!!!

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby IAdukhntr » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:28 pm

toolmaker wrote:
scupbarron wrote:wow, heavy. built like tank i bet. bitch to drag if end up high and dry.

I have one of those herters Goose-Duck models like in the picture. it weighs about 120 lbs max......

NOT even close to 400 lbs!!!

the tool

I was going off a a website on the weight. I didn't think it weighed that much because i load it all by myself. I am hoping to have it sold shortly so my wife can use her garage and stop bugging me.
IAdukhntr
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds