Polar Kraft Owners & Boat Blind Hunters in General

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Polar Kraft Owners & Boat Blind Hunters in General

Postby mox » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:33 am

Looking to outfit my polar kraft 1860 sportsman with a boat blind. I'm a lifetime pit, floater, layout blind, and stilt blind hunter. The boat blind will be new waters for me, pun intended. My queries:

1) To build or to buy? I'm not above building my own, but with quality and installation time purposes buying is also an option.

2) Styles that work best for you?
-I've been reading about Avery, Beavertail... folding blinds to a single side, to both sides, "duggout style" blinds, etc.
-I'll be hunting 2-3 people & a dog - Mainly 2 & a dog.
-Don't want anything permanent, quick removal and easy storage are important.
-I like what I've read about the windblocker from Avery.

Blind Material?
-Best blind material/weather blocking? I'm within 100 miles of Final Flight Outfitters and Wing Supply and can pick up to save shipping costs.

Here is my floor plan:
1860 floor.gif
1860 floor.gif (17.53 KiB) Viewed 701 times

-There's plenty of room for 2 folding seats in the floor. Modified, shorter pedestals in the front/back would probably work as well.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Re: Polar Kraft Owners & Boat Blind Hunters in General

Postby mac87toy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:14 pm

There are a lot of options for you and most of it comes down to if you want to spend a lot of time or a lot of money. I build all my own blinds. gives me a sense of satisfaction and I get to spend time hanging out with my boys and hunting buddies building it. You can build a pvc blind farily quickly that is removable and wind proof. Of spend a little money and get a alluminum blind custom made for your boat that bolts to the gunnels. That makes it usually lighter adn more durable, but also removable very quickly. to stop the wind us some tarps, i like to use canvas tarps and spray them good with a waterproofing spray more so they dont soak up a LOT of water. I have make fold up and down blinds out of wood that worked well but you have to decide what type of hunting you are usually goign to be doing. I use my boat more as a transport device rather then a blind. I have 3 spots I sit in my boat so i have a light quick blind that only has one side as i am always pushed up under trees adn only need one side camo'ed in.
mac87toy
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:32 pm

Avery quickset
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:26 pm

If you build DO NOT use PVC. Use conduit. Really it comes down to how much money/time you have. If you have the time but not money, build. If you have money but not the time, buy.

Building one you can have a custom blind made specifically for your boat and not something that "universally" fits. I built my own, but it is something that has and will last and I know that for sure.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby lilfukr79 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:45 pm

I used the avery rain cover. 4ft by 18ft. The 4 foot height was the same height and length as my shaggy pannels. Zip tied them together then used the velcro loops on the rain top and velcroed them to my 1in square aluminum.
lilfukr79
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:04 pm

I have the Avery quickset up, I love it and don't really have anything bad to say besides how the doors come down and are very loud so u have to customize something to stop that like rubber bumpers and your dog can't see out of the blind unless you keep him/her on front platform
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds