New Edition Phowler Big Water Series Maiden Voyage!!!!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

New Edition Phowler Big Water Series Maiden Voyage!!!!

Postby pwhnts5 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:14 am

We rolled out the new version of our Big Water Series for the guys at Big Water Outdoors this weekend. This is their second Phowler rig, the first one was our very first 2472 we build for them a few years back. They loved the rig for guiding, but decided to have us build them a completely new rig for this year with a permanent cockpit and a custom gantry system to launch and retrieve their new two man layout rig off the front of the boat.

We finished rigging the new boat Saturday and took her to the water for a shake down cruise. This is a big rig, 24' long, 72" bottom and 103" beam. The boat you see on the front is a two man layout that is almost 400#s. Motor is a 115 Suzuki. Boat ran a steady 36-38 mph loaded with the layout on front, we only opened it up for short distances since it is a brand new motor, it will run faster once broke in and we can play with the trim, jack plate and prop some more.

This boat will be used on Green Bay and Lake Michigan. We did a 24" transom and custom slashwell with XL shaft motor this time to keep the back dry when they are backing up into the waves, it worked great, really dry and we were backing into a 20-30 mph wind on our test runs.

Mike and Dean were very pleased with the new rig and will be putting on the water in a few weeks for Operation Red White and Blue Bill - a special hunt for disabled vets up on Sturgeon Bay WI.

The launching system and loading system worked great making it easy to get the big layout on and off the nose.

This should be a great rig for hunting the big waters of the great lakes.

PW
Attachments
IMG_1314.JPG
IMG_1320.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Re: New Edition Phowler Big Water Series Maiden Voyage!!!!

Postby pwhnts5 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:27 am

Here are a few more pictures:
Attachments
IMG_1323.JPG
IMG_1325.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1303.JPG
IMG_1302.JPG
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby AJCsurf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:44 pm

That thing looks like a battle ship with those two layouts on the front. FREAKIN' SWEET :thumbsup:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Nice. Is that a bracket for a kicker motor in the port side of the transom?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby canderso » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:51 pm

T-Man-

If you look at the last pic, you will see the same bracket is on the starboard side as well. Not that I know, because I didn't build the boat, but I am taking bets on them being loading platforms or dog platforms that simply hinge down into the water.

Just my guess, but I am equally curious.

That boat looks awesome! Way too big for me and where/how I hunt, but it doesn't mean I don't want one :biggrin:
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby goosie119 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:45 pm

Yup those are steps that fold down on the transom, mine has one as well.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:46 pm

canderso wrote:T-Man-

If you look at the last pic, you will see the same bracket is on the starboard side as well. Not that I know, because I didn't build the boat, but I am taking bets on them being loading platforms or dog platforms that simply hinge down into the water.

Just my guess, but I am equally curious.

That boat looks awesome! Way too big for me and where/how I hunt, but it doesn't mean I don't want one :biggrin:

Sure enough, and that is 1 big layout, not 2 :eek:
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby pwhnts5 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:09 am

Yes they are boarding plateforms, we made them larger and higher to also act a wave breakers when back trolling in big waves. That two man layout weighs in at about 400 lbs, but you don't even know it is on the nose when running, bow comes right up with trim. The enter gantry pivots down to launch it of the front. We built a removable wench system to pull it back up on board, once it hits the balance point you just rock the entire gantry back down to the deck, pull the boat back another couple feet and it is secure for transport. It is pretty cool, the guys at Big Water will get us some video of it when they do the veterans hunt in two weeks.

PW
Phowler Boat Company

pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:57 pm

pwhnts5 wrote:Yes they are boarding plateforms, we made them larger and higher to also act a wave breakers when back trolling in big waves. That two man layout weighs in at about 400 lbs, but you don't even know it is on the nose when running, bow comes right up with trim. The enter gantry pivots down to launch it of the front. We built a removable wench system to pull it back up on board, once it hits the balance point you just rock the entire gantry back down to the deck, pull the boat back another couple feet and it is secure for transport. It is pretty cool, the guys at Big Water will get us some video of it when they do the veterans hunt in two weeks.

PW

Looking forward to it.

When the boat is stopped, is there enough weight in the rear that with the layout on the front, you still maintain a safe freeboard, or is there just enough coming that you can take larger waves over the bow safely? I have no experience with bigger boats, but with my 1652 and that much weight on the bow, things get sketchy.

What kind of deadrise are you guys running on these boats and what do they draft? How much did you sacrifice skinny water ability to be able to run in big water?
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby LayedOut » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:25 am

Any way to get some pics of the gantry system. I've been wanting to do something like this with our two man.
"Down in front...Commin right down the middle, LOCKED and LOADED...........TAKE EM"
LayedOut
Forum Moderator

Postby pwhnts5 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:36 pm

T Man wrote:
pwhnts5 wrote:Yes they are boarding plateforms, we made them larger and higher to also act a wave breakers when back trolling in big waves. That two man layout weighs in at about 400 lbs, but you don't even know it is on the nose when running, bow comes right up with trim. The enter gantry pivots down to launch it of the front. We built a removable wench system to pull it back up on board, once it hits the balance point you just rock the entire gantry back down to the deck, pull the boat back another couple feet and it is secure for transport. It is pretty cool, the guys at Big Water will get us some video of it when they do the veterans hunt in two weeks.

PW

Looking forward to it.

When the boat is stopped, is there enough weight in the rear that with the layout on the front, you still maintain a safe freeboard, or is there just enough coming that you can take larger waves over the bow safely? I have no experience with bigger boats, but with my 1652 and that much weight on the bow, things get sketchy.

What kind of deadrise are you guys running on these boats and what do they draft? How much did you sacrifice skinny water ability to be able to run in big water?

These Big Water Series boat are a modified version of our standard Extreme boats, just bigger. They have a Mod Vee front, but are flat from the rake back, no dead rise. They are very stiff and tough, the will run rough water as well as any full MV out there, just ask the guys from Big Water Outdoors, this is their second one. The larger boat only drafts 4-6" of water at deadrest. They can motor with the jack plate and outboard into about 7-8" of water without racking the motor. The boat is very well balanced, there are no issues with the boat on front, even when loading and unloading - this is a 24' long boat, so you don't even notice the weight of the boat on the front.

Sorry, I can't show close ups of the loading system, that is proprietary to Big Water and Phowler, to much work involved to give the design away.

PW
Phowler Boat Company

pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby LayedOut » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:47 pm

So what are u guys gonna offer the layout rack as an option? Or is that patent pending...
"Down in front...Commin right down the middle, LOCKED and LOADED...........TAKE EM"
LayedOut
Forum Moderator

Postby Triggerstrick » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Sorry I haven't been able to contribute to this post unitl now. After running the boat for the last month we are extremely pleased with this new boat! We had a lot of customization done with this rig. I would say the new 25" transom design with the splash well and the set back in the cockpit for the tiller was the best modification we made. We gave it a good test this past Friday on Lake Michigan, other than a little residual spray from the extra long steps the inside of the boat stayed dry. We spend a lot of our time in reverse loading and unloading guys from the layout boat so this was a very important part of the new boat to get right. I would say Paul got this one right on! We also had the gun boxes permantly fixed to the boat this made them alot larger than the standard box for storage. In the enclosed bow we get 8dozen decoys. We have also made on large modification to the gantry in that we no longer whinch the layout on by hand this is all done with a power winch. One guy can load and unload the boat. I will get video of it in action once the Wisconsin season is finished.
Triggerstrick
hunter

Postby pwhnts5 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:15 am

Great pictures, glad the boat is working out at intended. I agree that the extra high transom and the splash well and wall were great additions to this rig. Sorry I have not made it up to hunt with you guys, might make it up sometime in November!!!

Thanks, it is always great working with you guys.

PW
Phowler Boat Company

pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby Triggerstrick » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:21 pm

http://youtu.be/14dcD-BcQFI
The Video Shows the loading and unloading of the layout boat
Triggerstrick
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:08 pm

Triggerstrick wrote:http://youtu.be/14dcD-BcQFI
The Video Shows the loading and unloading of the layout boat

Nice. Love the boat, and chocolate chip cookies!
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby pwhnts5 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:57 pm

They used the hell out of her this season and they had some pretty rough days, wind almost every trip out. We had it at the QCCA outdoor show this past weekend and everyone was impressed they it.

PW
Phowler Boat Company

pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds