Thru Hull Transducer?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Thru Hull Transducer?

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:35 pm

My hummingbird transducer states it can be mounted with slow two part epoxy, inside on the hull.

My question, it does not state to or not to mount it inside on aluminum?

Realize some of the function won't work ( water temp ) but I would trade that for mounting inside if it will read depth!

Will it work thru aluminum ?

Thanks.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

Google- Pro Staff
Weedwacker
hunter

Re: Thru Hull Transducer?

Postby CountryRN » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Read a couple sources on the net when planning to mount mine saying that it wouldn't work on aluminum. I ended up mounting a section of thick cutting board to the tranom with bolts that were already in place. Then I mounted the transducer to the cutting board. It kept me from having to put any more holes in the transom than were already there.
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:45 pm

CountryRN wrote:Read a couple sources on the net when planning to mount mine saying that it wouldn't work on aluminum. I ended up mounting a section of thick cutting board to the tranom with bolts that were already in place. Then I mounted the transducer to the cutting board. It kept me from having to put any more holes in the transom than were already there.

Ok, I think it's called Starboard or cutting board.
Bummer, I don't have much room to work with on the transom.
Thanks .
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Google- Pro Staff
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:11 pm

'Ducer designed for aluminum through hull.

http://vexilar.com/products/index.php?p ... dSubCat=AD
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:56 am

T Man wrote:'Ducer designed for aluminum through hull.

Thanks T-Man, but using what I have in hand at this point . Opener this weekend for middle zone Michigan and its the last thing I need to complete before leaving tomorrow for some scouting. :thumbsup:

Google- Pro Staff
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:22 am

Weedwacker wrote:
T Man wrote:'Ducer designed for aluminum through hull.

Thanks T-Man, but using what I have in hand at this point . Opener this weekend for middle zone Michigan and its the last thing I need to complete before leaving tomorrow for some scouting. :thumbsup:

I understand. I am re-working my boat before season, and would like a through hull transducer, but not for almost 200 bucks! The front of the boat may get one eventually though so I dont have to rely on a TM mounted setup
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby tywhite87 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:11 pm

May or may not get you answers but could you try placing the transducer on the hull and tape it in place with duct tape or something and put it in the water and see if it gives you a reading or not.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:41 pm

tywhite87 wrote:May or may not get you answers but could you try placing the transducer on the hull and tape it in place with duct tape or something and put it in the water and see if it gives you a reading or not.

I can tell you right now it wont. The air void between the hull and the transducer will give a false reading, thats why you have to bed transducers in a bed of epoxy.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Sandor27 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:39 pm

How about gluing a section of PVC pipe down to the floor with some 5200 and filling it with water. Like 4" length of 6" diameter...

Then mount the transducer into that and check if it can 'see' through the aluminum?

Maybe anchor up and try it, then hold it directly overboard and see it reads the same?

If it works satisfactorily, then you can epoxy it in place. If not, you have not ruined anything.
Sandor27
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:10 pm

Put your transducer in a bag of water and lay it on the bottom of your boat. If it will work through aluminum you should see bottom at about 10 feet.
BBK
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:26 pm

Wow, all good ideas.

I may try the plastic water bag idea once I get up there and settled in, try is while on the water after a hunt :thumbsup:

Just packed up and through it in the boat for the trip, it's a nice to have item but not needed to hunt.

Going back next weekend for Southern Zone opener, so I can work on it again.

Google- Pro Staff
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby weekendhunter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:38 pm

Gary at Maximum Rigging in Walker Mn is the best I have ever heard of for rigging boats. He will tell you don't shoot the transducer through the hull because you lose too much sensitivity when you do that. Just call him and he'll tell you the best way to mount it and it will preform the way you want it to. These things cost too much not to get the most out of them.
weekendhunter
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 am

weekendhunter wrote:Gary at Maximum Rigging in Walker Mn is the best I have ever heard of for rigging boats. He will tell you don't shoot the transducer through the hull because you lose too much sensitivity when you do that. Just call him and he'll tell you the best way to mount it and it will preform the way you want it to. These things cost too much not to get the most out of them.

Thanks again.
For this boat and application , I really only use it for depth reading as most of the water I hunt has a lot of different depths, in small areas.

Google- Pro Staff
Weedwacker
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds