Kayak Paddle Suggestions

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Kayak Paddle Suggestions

Postby bhroberts1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:28 am

Anybody have a Kayak paddle brand that they trust to weather the abuse it will take being used in a duck skiff. Last season I used a canoe paddle and that was just a pain in the butt. This year I want to use a kayak paddle in hopes of having better straight line propulsion.

So who has a good brand, within reasonable pricing that they use or trust and where to buy it?

Thank you,

BHR
bhroberts1
hunter

Re: Kayak Paddle Suggestions

Postby bhroberts1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:46 am

So is it that nobody uses Kayak paddles or is it that I am being too picky and any kayak paddle would work?

BHR
bhroberts1
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:22 pm

It depends on how much you want to spend. Bending Branches make nice paddles and they have fiberglass shafts for $139.

You can go to ***** and get a Carlisle Day Tripper for $50 to $60 bucks, but the aluminum shafts feel sloppy after heavy use over time, but it will work. I have two and they are still working. Mine get sloppy after years because I dig hard when paddling.

Make you get plastic blades if your around rocks. Fiberglass blades don't take will to rock abuse. Composite blades are fiberglass reinforced plastic and OK.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DucksUnlimitedkayaker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:23 pm

I have been paddling for years and have used cheap $20 paddles all the way up to $500- $600 paddles from a kayak specific retailer. The most important thing I can tell you is to figure out what your budget is and buy a paddle as close to that number as you can. What that will do is give you the lightest weight and most durable within your budget. Aluminum paddles are fairly heavy and have a slick surface that will cause it to slip in your hands once its wet. Your are then forced to hold on a little tighter to maintain control and causing more stress on your upper body at the same time. If you go up into a fiberglass shaft it will be a little lighter weight (more efficient) and also have more of a textured shaft that allows a more relaxed grip while paddling. Nylon blades on paddles typically seem more durable than a fiberglass or carbon fiber but they are actually not due to the fact they flex more and can easy crack/ snap with too much force.

If you are looking for a kayak paddle that will be used just for paddling then spend a little more money on a good one. If you are wanting something to use as a push pole then spend just a little less on a paddle and actually invest in some sort of push pole. The last thing you want is to be a long distance away from where you need to get and have your paddle break on you from pushing off a rock or bottom.

What size paddle were you looking for? The wider the boat the longer the paddle your going to want to go with to be more efficient.

Bending Branches, Werner, Aqua Bound are all good paddle brands that will range anywhere from just under $100 to $500. You might check out their brand specific sights to find a dealer near you or you can check out Austinkayak.com. I do a lot of my kayak specific shopping there and they usually have free shipping.
DucksUnlimitedkayaker
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Caviness, IIRC they make the only paddle with the aluminum shaft all the way thru the paddle. Buy it longer than you think, I started with a 7' with my Marsh Rat, but I got a ton of water in the boat, went to a 9' and no more issues with water and easier to paddle.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Been using one of these for two years, no complaints.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/ ... t104483880
tywhite87
hunter

Postby aaronoto » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:12 pm

orphanedcowboy wrote:Caviness, IIRC they make the only paddle with the aluminum shaft all the way thru the paddle. Buy it longer than you think, I started with a 7' with my Marsh Rat, but I got a ton of water in the boat, went to a 9' and no more issues with water and easier to paddle.

+1 Have a 9' Caviness for my Aquapod and really like it. Plenty of room to clear the wide body of the Aquapod.
aaronoto
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds