Aluminum Sneak/Lay Out boats?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Aluminum Sneak/Lay Out boats?

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Are there any other options for a Lay Out style boat made from aluminum other than Phowler?

And if Phowler, I've not Googled any pic of guys hunting them like a Lay Out boat.....meaning with flip doors or a blind suited for reclining.

Am I missing something? Just wanted to know all the options. All are incredibly spendy for a small boat, but wanted to make sure I know what all is available.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Re: Aluminum Sneak/Lay Out boats?

Postby Tanner01 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:53 pm

http://duckwaterboats.com/Boats/DD_Rive ... llard.html
here is a link to one. if you click back to the home page they have a few more options in what they call a backwater series.
Never really found any that I was willing to spend money on. I did find a fiberglass model that I was ready to buy after looking at the website for a year and a half and the company told me they were not making any because of the economy.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:24 pm

That DD River or Mallard was the only one I stumbled on to as well. It's $2500 more than the already spendy Phowler. I can't believe how much boats to for.....wood, glass or aluminum. All are crazy expensive.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby threedogs » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:27 pm

None of those duckwater boats looks like a layout boat to me. Get a jon and make your own, that's what I did.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:51 am

Though his name is often followed by shudders on DHC, and for whatever reason he hates me, Clyde built an incredible aluminum layout boat. It is a true layout, not a sneak boat like you are wanting, but doors could be added to suit your style of hunting.

I am looking to see if I can find his build thread anywhere.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby pwhnts5 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:23 pm

The Phowler Prowler is a perfect layout boat, we do a four way cockpit cover that works like layout doors and we have done a one man 2N'1 style blind with doors and pop-up for a number of customers. We did a show two seasons ago with American Bird Hunter with two 14' Prowlers in a flooded milo field in SE MO. The cover in the field was sparse, but the birds just kept coming right over the two sneaks, most under 20 high, it was a turkey shoot. The Prowler is unique in that its design allows you to put up to a 23 hp surface drive on them (14-16' models) so you can carry a big load when you need to (3-5 men) or use is as a one man layout boat. We have rigged a number of set-ups of two Prowlers on a single side by side trailer as well - there are pictures on our website. Lastly you can also hunt them with a simple version of our Superfly pop-up blind when hunting more then one person.

Go up to our Prowler Extreme 44" bottom boat and you can sit down sideways with a simple layout seat. We have done a number of these with custom covers for 2-3 men laying out sideways.

As with all our boats, you can design it to meet your individual needs and wants. Since we do everything from the hull, to rigging to custom blinds and upholstery all in house, if you can dream it up, we can build it for you.

Paul Willging
Attachments
IMG_2405.JPG
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor