Motor size

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Motor size

Postby DieHard Outdoors » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Let me start you out with a mental picture.. I'm from Central Minnesota so I have a few options on where to hunt from rivers to open lakes, and also public marshes. My season starts out with calm water (for the most part) but towards the second half leading to the end of the season the wind picks up, waves get bigger and choppier, and rivers run faster but more shallow. I hunt out of my grandfathers old 16 foot flat bottom polar kraft with a 6hp motor he used long before I was born and unfortunately never got to use it with me, since he passed a few years before my birth. Anyhow, in the beginning of the season the 6 hp runs great (somewhat slow with a full boat). Now the problem I'm having is that it takes a reasonable amount of time to get to my spot, the weeds can sometimes be thick causing the motor to bog down a little and make it even slower and once cold enough thin sheets of ice form and it takes me probably ten minutes more to get from point A to point B. The opportunity I have is that my uncle has an older (but in good shape) 35 or 40 hp outboard motor. My main concerns are 1. will it be too heavy for my boat 2. will it increase or decrease the likeliness of taking on water in bigger waves and/or capsizing all together? Any comments and opinions are much appreciated and happy hunting Duck Hunting Chat users!
Thanks, DHO!

May the duck gods be in favor of us all this year! :beer:
DieHard Outdoors
hunter

Re: Motor size

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:11 pm

*Edit*

Got ahead of myself. Answer these questions first:

BBK wrote:What are the specs of your boat other than "its 16 foot". Beam? transom & side height? riveted or welded? There are 16' boats big enough to put a 75 on and 16' boats that will take on water with a 25.
Last edited by T Man on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:04 pm

What are the specs of your boat other than "its 16 foot". Beam? transom & side height? riveted or welded? There are 16' boats big enough to put a 75 on and 16' boats that will take on water with a 25.
BBK
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:38 am

There should be a permanent tag on the inside of the transom of your boat giving a motor HP and load rating in pounds. Give us that and the height of the transom from center top to center bottom.
z51
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:09 am

If it was his grandfathers boat, chances are it was produced before 1971.
BBK
hunter

Postby Boatman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:10 am

Also answer what motor,merc-evinrude/Johnson -other and for sure what hp and year is this motor. There is a big difference in a 35 and 40 hp evinrude/Johnson weight wise. Also you must know about motor length -short 15" -long 20" and boat transom 15"-20"
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Boatman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:25 am

Hey T man what is squirting water up in the air out the back of your boat? You know that is slowing you down.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:07 pm

Boatman wrote:Hey T man what is squirting water up in the air out the back of your boat? You know that is slowing you down.

Rooster tails make everything faster!

Actually I mounted my transducer a little low. I have since corrected the problem
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds