Arthur Armstrong Broadbill? Anyone use one?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Arthur Armstrong Broadbill? Anyone use one?

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:40 am

I've found a used one. Not too bad shape. Small crack around cleat. Transom has a plate to reinforce.

I want a Lay Out boat specifically. Me and a dog. That's It. Dekes and gear. But never two guys.

Under $1500 with trailer. No motor.

My research shows they swapped factories a few times. This is a Gainsville boat.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Re: Arthur Armstrong Broadbill? Anyone use one?

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:37 am

If it fits your needs, gives you what you want, fits Into your budget, then roll with it :thumbsup:
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:03 pm

I build A boat very much like A broadbill it is a great boat can get real skinny.If it came from gainsvill it was built around 1970 to 1976 then the moved to south c .They are no longer in busness they sold two or three times.N0w they are built in OHIO.Great lay down boat
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:21 pm

The broadbill isn't a layout boat.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:54 pm

any sneak box boat can be used as a lay out boat because of the low profile ' All the Armstrong boats are great lay downs 'Not the ones you toe
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:56 pm

I am not starting a pissing match, rather asking for clarification.....but guys seem to get testy quickly over the terms of the 3 boats....Lay Out, Sneak and Marsh.

I realize the Broadbill does not have doors, which I would call a Lay Out boat. But that is what I would be doing with it, or wanting to do.

What's the difference?
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:05 pm

All in the wording I guess it all is where you live and hunt .Its like youall you and you'ns And a lot of the people I hunt with all put doors on there sneak boxs
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:45 pm

It's not regional, it's using the correct terminology. Not trying to be a jerk, but if you don't use the right terms its hard to give advice.
If you're hauling gear and a dog you want a marsh boat or sneak boat depending on what kind of water you hunt. A layout boat is like a kalash, lake bonneville, etc... Just because a boat has doors doesn't change what it is.

The broadbill is a great hull. I didn't like that there were no decoy racks or grass rails like my bbsb has. I had to get creative hauling gear and my dog, that gets old.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:51 pm

This is a copy & paste, but it's good info. I see lots of people on this site claiming they have a layout boat for sale and it's a sneak or marsh boat. Just cause you can lay in it doesn't mark it a layout boat. :)

Duck Boats 101

Duck hunting literature contains volumes on guns, decoys, dogs, calls and calling, blinds, and techniques. Amazingly enough though, very little attention is given to boats for duck hunting. This is surprising because most hunting situations require a boat. This section of my web page seeks to give a very brief introduction to duck boats from bygone days as well as boats available today.

During the days of market hunting duck hunting was big business. Professional waterfowlers developed many highly specialized boats for their chosen trade. It should be noted that not all boats used for duck hunting are duck boats. A duck boat by definition is a boat developed for the primary purpose of hunting. Today's modern jon boats are often used as duck hunting boats, but by no means are they duck boats.

Some of the more famous duck boats developed by the market hunters include:

Barnegat Bay Sneakbox
Senachwine Iron Skiff
Hennepin Duck Boat
Monitor Marsh Boat
Scull Boat
Koshkonong Flat Boat
Merrymeeting Grass Boat
Novia Scotia Duck Tub
Most of these highly specialized boats vanished as a result of outlawing market gunning. Today there only exists a handful of manufacturers producing true duck boats. Today's duck boats can loosely be placed into six categories.

Layout
Sneak Boat
Marsh Boat
Duck Skiff
Scull
Boat/Blind Combination (not derived from market hunting)

Layout Boats

Layout boats are a very specialized gunning boat. Typically, they are towed or piggy-backed into place by a larger boat, called a tender. Most often used for hunting divers, they are positioned in close proximity to a large spead of decoys in open water. Those that hunt from layout boats often claim no method for hunting divers is more effective.

Sneak Boat

Sneak boats are more versatile than layout boats. A common use for them is sneaking up on rafting diving ducks. Hence the name sneak boat. Typically the hunter will set out a large spread of decoys in open water. He will then row upwind and anchor. When a suitable number of ducks have decoyed the anchor is lifted and the wind pushes the boat within gunning range of the ducks. Many claim this method is particularly effective on canvasbacks who are less skittish on the water than bluebills.

Marsh Boat

Marsh boats are small boats whose source of power is the paddle. The class includes hunting kayaks, pirogues and other small boats that typically hold at most two hunters. They are sometimes called skiffs. Their strengths include light weight and portability. They can be carried or pulled to remote spots where bigger boats have no access. They easily slip through shallow water and can be used to jump shoot ducks. Care must be taken when shooting out of one because they can be tippy. Sometimes they are the perfect tool for bagging a limit when ducks are using smaller out of the way waters.

Duck Skiff

The duck skiff is essential equipment when hunters need to travel great distances over open water while carrying substantial amounts of gear. Typically they're 14 feet or longer and use a 25 hp or bigger outboard motor. Their attributes include seaworthiness, stability, and capacity. In addition to a means of transportation, they can be hunted from. Most duck hunters utilize a jon boat in the role of a duck skiff. Quite simply, they are the workhorse for waterfowlers.

Scull.

The scull is a highly specialized boat. Sculling for ducks, almost a lost art, is gaining popularity. The scull boat is propelled by means of a long oar that extends out from the transom. The operator lays down in the boat and applies a rotating motion with the oar. This pushes the boat forward at a mild pace which doesn't alarm ducks. Once in range, the sculler raises and shoots his quarry. I've heard scullers claim that they're able to scull into a raft of ducks, part the raft, and have the raft close back after passing through. Now that would be sight!

Boat/Blind Combo

Boat blinds have come into their own since the days of market hunting. Offering features similar to the duck skiff, with the added ability to conceal several hunters in comfort, has made them desirable in the eyes of duck hunters in all four flyways. As an outgrowth of jon boat blinds they continue to evolve into a specialized boat that combines concealment, carrying capacity, and comfort.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:22 pm

What I am looking for is not listed in any category.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:54 am

Thank you for the history lesson! :fingerpt: The objective of this site, is to communicate with fellow hunters in a respectable way, not to make a point that you may know more than us.

Those who have been hunting for years, develop their own language in the sport and from that we learn.

To the gentleman who wants to buy the Armstrong, they are great boats and will give you and your dog many years of good hunting.

Good Hunting Be Safe Take a Kid Hunting.
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:13 am

Swamp--
I for one have given up on the semantics fight, although Hank is 100% right.
I layout bout is not a boat that you "lay around out there in" it is exclusively a gray boat with no engine that you generally hunt divers, brant etc in... I banged my head against the wall arguing that point forever then gave up....
Similarly a "duck boat" is not just any old thing that you paint green and shoot AT ducks from...
IMO
As for the AA...I shot out of one a bunch of times...it's a heavy boat that can take a larger engine (40hp) and comfy for 2 guys+...
That sounds like a good deal with minimal work...but it is a pretty stout craft...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:27 am

All I said was that if you by a bass boat do you only catch bass and should bass pro only sell bass products .I have owned a few aa and have many great hunts in them I just wish that if he buys that boat he has great hunting with that boat as I did.I taught my sons how to hunt in that boat and yes we did lay down in to hide and I also had doors on my boats. GOODLUCK GOOD HUNTING AND TAKE A KID HUNTING :bow:
Last edited by SWAMPMAN2 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:37 am

I hear your point, but it's not like saying that I can't wear Cowboy boots to anything but a rodeo....
These are specialty crafts that are extremely specified for a certain application...
I surf...I could probably stick a fin on a closet door and catch a few waves....but it's just not a surfboard...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:41 am

This could go on for ever.So :bow: as words to Sheldon you win :clapping: :hi: GOOD HUNTING BE SAFE TAKE A KID HUNTING OR IS THAT TAKE A CHILDE HUNTING :lol3: :lol3:
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:29 am

Its hard to communicate when you're not speaking the same language.

Like I said AA Broadbill is a God hull.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:30 am

SWAMPMAN2 wrote:This could go on for ever.So :bow: as words to Sheldon you win :clapping: :hi: GOOD HUNTING BE SAFE TAKE A KID HUNTING OR IS THAT TAKE A CHILDE HUNTING :lol3: :lol3:

What's a childe? :)
hankyorke
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:45 am

hankyorke wrote:Its hard to communicate when you're not speaking the same language.

Whats a God hull ? :hi:
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:24 am

threedogs wrote:
hankyorke wrote:Its hard to communicate when you're not speaking the same language.

With a left, then a right hook...
This is great...
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:26 am

threedogs wrote:

Hahahahahah. See, nobody knows what you're talking about when you're not speaking the same language. :)
hankyorke
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:52 am

Would you be willing to look at pics and comment?
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:28 am

Let's go....hit it..
What do you want to know? What your hull would be categorized as? Or if it will be a good hull to duck hunt out of?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:51 am

5Pics and comments? That's all we got to do. Bring it.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:24 pm

No. Some damage. Worthwhile investement or too far gone. I didnt realize the boat, or Hull as you Pro's like to call them, where that old. Someone quoted the Gainsville Co making boats between 72-76 or so.

Working on getting pics to Photobucket to post now.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Above are the major concerns. Selling is certainly not hiding anything. But I know NOTHING of fiberglass, boats or boat repair. All I want to do is run my dog and work some birds and have success. I do NOT have much competition in my area. But a "hull" like this would really be a great tool to seperate my success from all the walk in hunters, or big boat/big blind hunters. I've never seen any other boats similar to this in my area.

I'd really like to grab it, but I don't need any major headaches right now. Not too much "fixer uppers".

I have a 1648 right now with a 25hp evinrude 2 stroke.

The seller believes this boat was rated up to 20hp. But the transom area is a concern. Unless you all say that it's been beefed up, and not repaired. I can not tell from the pics, as I've never seen an original. Again, this is a full on Armstrong with legit placard. Not a home built.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds