something is wrong...Need advice/input!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

something is wrong...Need advice/input!

Postby MAX4Utah » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:38 pm

A buddy just got his first duck boat. It's an all welded 16x48 with a 25hp long shaft mud buddy. I'm not sure what speeds this rig is supposed to get, but with three guys and no gear we get 6 to 7 mph on the GPS. It doesn't even think about getting on plane. With just one guy driving it gained 2 to 3 mph, still no plane. The guy he bought it from said it could use a new prop, but I would think even a worn prop would perform better than that. The engine is also getting full power. Any ideas on this or is this jus the performance to expect with this set up? I was thinking at least 13-18mph and for sure it would plane... We have tried all different angles of the motor when driving, not much change. Thanks for any input.
MAX4Utah
hunter

Re: something is wrong...Need advice/input!

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Were that a 25 HP motor that I built it would have a 9 x7 prop on it. There is enough sandy bottom around Utah for that prop to be ground down enough to cause the performance loss that you are experiencing. It should measure very near 9" in diameter to give you some good performance numbers. 17 - 20 MPH would be more like the norm for that motor.

Mark f. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Re: something is wrong...Need advice/input!

Postby MAX4Utah » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Mark F. Cheney wrote:Were that a 25 HP motor that I built it would have a 9 x7 prop on it. There is enough sandy bottom around Utah for that prop to be ground down enough to cause the performance loss that you are experiencing. It should measure very near 9" in diameter to give you some good performance numbers. 17 - 20 MPH would be more like the norm for that motor.

Mark f. Cheney

I'll measure it to check. That is a huge difference though! That would be fantastic to get that performance out of it!
MAX4Utah
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds