Merc. 2.5hp on a Refuge Runner?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Merc. 2.5hp on a Refuge Runner?

Postby cyoung24 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:08 pm

I just picked up a new Mercury 2.5hp outboard for a steal. I plan on using it on my Four Rivers refuge runner. I read some reviews about fuel issues with it and to always run sta-bil in the fuel. Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions on the motor itself or running it on a layout boat. Thanks.
cyoung24
hunter

Re: Merc. 2.5hp on a Refuge Runner?

Postby fireman1293 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:20 pm

Run Sta-Brite enzyme treatment in it as well. This will help offset the problems with the ethanol in the fuel
fireman1293
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:41 pm

it is still possible to buy fuel with out alcohol in it. Often at a bulk plant or oil dist will keep it and sell it to you in a gas can to go home in your truck or car. In my market it brings about a $1.00 premium.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby T Man » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:02 pm

fireman1293 wrote:Run Sta-Brite enzyme treatment in it as well. This will help offset the problems with the ethanol in the fuel

Sta Bil will do everything needed to slow the affects of ethanol fuel, sounds like you bought into the hype.

Ethanol wrecks small motors, newer motors are "designed" for it but stabil should still be run every tank. (I phrase it like that, because the hoses and gaskets are ethanol compatible, but the motor still has the same problems burning the fuel)
I prefer to run it in the storage amount in my boat, weed eater, and mower.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:29 pm

T Man wrote:
fireman1293 wrote:Run Sta-Brite enzyme treatment in it as well. This will help offset the problems with the ethanol in the fuel

Sta Bil will do everything needed to slow the affects of ethanol fuel, sounds like you bought into the hype.

Ethanol wrecks small motors, newer motors are "designed" for it but stabil should still be run every tank. (I phrase it like that, because the hoses and gaskets are ethanol compatible, but the motor still has the same problems burning the fuel)
I prefer to run it in the storage amount in my boat, weed eater, and mower.

Agree with T Man, I run Sta bil in everything I have year round. We make sure we just add it to all the gas cans in the garage when we fill them up and then we don't have to worry about adding to each item. Tanks for 50-1, 40-1 and straight gas.
Same with outboards, add it every time I fill the tanks, then if they sit for a long period (like over winter into spring) they are already running it in the entire system.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds