1752 Alweld Build Thread

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: 1752 Alweld Build Thread

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Well done man. I want to paint my motor this season, but Im not sure how it should be done and what portions should remain untouched. How do you plan on doing yours?
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:28 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:Well done man. I want to paint my motor this season, but Im not sure how it should be done and what portions should remain untouched. How do you plan on doing yours?

Taping off everything that looks like it shouldn't get paint on it? haha I plan on taping off the prop, intakes, ect everything else gets paint on it.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby steve-o » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:29 pm

Looks great grizz. :thumbsup:
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:51 pm

grizz18 wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:Well done man. I want to paint my motor this season, but Im not sure how it should be done and what portions should remain untouched. How do you plan on doing yours?

Taping off everything that looks like it shouldn't get paint on it? haha I plan on taping off the prop, intakes, ect everything else gets paint on it.

I left that statement open. Obviously the impeller ports would be taped, corrosion plate, prop, but I was thinking more like around the tiller and transom mount. Are you just gonna use spray paint? Sanding it down?
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:02 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
grizz18 wrote:

I left that statement open. Obviously the impeller ports would be taped, corrosion plate, prop, but I was thinking more like around the tiller and transom mount. Are you just gonna use spray paint? Sanding it down?

Transom mount and everything will get it, probably the tiller arm too. I've stripped all old paint off, scuffed It up, and cleaned it off. From there I'm taping and painting pretty much. I don't doubt there will be chipping at some point but that's the beauty of a jon boat and rattle cans,
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Painted mine today. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone3 using Tapatalk 28

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:13 am

Looks great
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby assateague » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:12 am

Grizz, what's the sewer clean out fitting on the back of the bench for?
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby grizz18 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:29 am

assateague wrote:Grizz, what's the sewer clean out fitting on the back of the bench for?

Are you talking about where the back bench turns down and faces the transom? If so, that battery switch, it just has tape over it from painting.

If not, I'm not sure what your talking about
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby T Man » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:48 am

Lookin good grizz. I took the leap and painted my motor last year. Glad I did.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby 18javelin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:33 am

Great looking boat grizz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:35 am

Motor is all painted, still waiting on my buddy to have some time to help we re wire it.

Boat has been running awesome, runs super shallow, very dry and smooth for a jon boat as well. Last Thursday the tilt/trim motor went out....sucks big time around here. There are only a few places that I can run that I don't need the tilt/trim...
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:03 am

grizz18 wrote:Motor is all painted, still waiting on my buddy to have some time to help we re wire it.

Boat has been running awesome, runs super shallow, very dry and smooth for a jon boat as well. Last Thursday the tilt/trim motor went out....sucks big time around here. There are only a few places that I can run that I don't need the tilt/trim...

Pics of the motor ?

Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:29 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:
grizz18 wrote:Motor is all painted, still waiting on my buddy to have some time to help we re wire it.

Pics of the motor ?

Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.

No pictures, but I haven't stenciled it. Just painted it green for now. Too damn busy with the season here
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby grizz18 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Well no more progress has been made since I got it hunting worthy, and honestly I don't think I hunted it more that 3-4 times. Should have some progress in the near future to turn it into a fishing machine.

Here's a dilemma I'm trying to sort out in my head right.... I want to extend the tiller arm and put a grab rail up. Right now I'm thinking I want a piece of tubing attached to the rib that runs up the side then bends to go straight up (parallel with floor) then 90's for the actual handle. I think it would be even nicer if the tubing on the rib was permanently attached and the actual grab rail slid in so it could be removable.

I have remote tilt/trim and I would like to run the controls to be reached on the bottom side of the grab handle so I can t/t while running.

Any ideas/comments/advice/concerns?
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby tod0987 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:25 pm

Griz,

I think I understand you. I don't know if there are any in Wash. but I do know a guy in Farmville that makes T-tops that will work with folks and the guys in the shop have an eye for building off the wall stuff. Sent my jon and fiberglass skiff there and wasn't dissapointed in the price and work. By your plans, they can weld on a larger diameter piece of aluminum tubing to the hull then fabup and bend the hand rail you want and then you can attach the two using a pin or two by drilling cross holes.

What i recomend is you go and get some PVC and a heat gun. If you can find an old garrage spring and tie a rope to it, it will fit inside 1.5" PVC. Place the spring inside the PVC where you want a bend and then use the heat gun to gradually heat up the PVC to soften it. Do not let it bubble (too hot and gets brittle) and do it outdoors as the fumes are toxic. The spring will keep the PVC from collapsing in the bend and then once you've bent it throw a cold rag (or pile of snow :lol3: ) on top to set the bend and pull out the spring. Continue this method untill you complete what you want. Then transfer this to some cardboard and take it to the shop and they'll bend you up the design you want. If you need to reposistion just slowly heat the bend back up and tweak.

I've used this method to build some cheap trailer guides for friends.
tod0987
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:40 am

tod0987 wrote:Griz,

I think I understand you. I don't know if there are any in Wash. but I do know a guy in Farmville that makes T-tops that will work with folks and the guys in the shop have an eye for building off the wall stuff. Sent my jon and fiberglass skiff there and wasn't dissapointed in the price and work. By your plans, they can weld on a larger diameter piece of aluminum tubing to the hull then fabup and bend the hand rail you want and then you can attach the two using a pin or two by drilling cross holes.

What i recomend is you go and get some PVC and a heat gun. If you can find an old garrage spring and tie a rope to it, it will fit inside 1.5" PVC. Place the spring inside the PVC where you want a bend and then use the heat gun to gradually heat up the PVC to soften it. Do not let it bubble (too hot and gets brittle) and do it outdoors as the fumes are toxic. The spring will keep the PVC from collapsing in the bend and then once you've bent it throw a cold rag (or pile of snow :lol3: ) on top to set the bend and pull out the spring. Continue this method untill you complete what you want. Then transfer this to some cardboard and take it to the shop and they'll bend you up the design you want. If you need to reposistion just slowly heat the bend back up and tweak.

I've used this method to build some cheap trailer guides for friends.

Great ideas there! I had a local guy build my last leaning post and it was $$$$ and asked him on a quote for a poling platform for this boat and it was 2x the $$$ haha. I'm hoping that a local guy at the beach will have a little time to help me out. I don't mind a little bit of $$ to get it right but its not something I'll break the bank for....after all I've yet to keep a jon boat for over 2 years.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby tod0987 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Yea the guys in Farmville, Modlins were very good $65/hr I think last time.

Ran across this polling plaform the other day. Go to the wilmington craigslist boats and search for "POLING PLATFORM - $250 (WILMINGTON NC) "
tod0987
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:27 am

tod0987 wrote:Yea the guys in Farmville, Modlins were very good $65/hr I think last time.

Ran across this polling plaform the other day. Go to the wilmington craigslist boats and search for "POLING PLATFORM - $250 (WILMINGTON NC) "

Saw that one the other day. I might look into a little more
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby grizz18 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 pm

Hoping to have some real progress made tomorrow, headed to the boat as soon as I get off in the am.

Changing the design up a little bit after some brainstorming over it all day. Deciding to extend the front deck. This will allow me to place the batteries up front, dry storage, and a place for the stereo system. Also with the batteries up there I will gain some extra bow weight.

Hoping to have some updated pictures soon.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby T Man » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:47 pm

grizz18 wrote:Hoping to have some real progress made tomorrow, headed to the boat as soon as I get off in the am.

Changing the design up a little bit after some brainstorming over it all day. Deciding to extend the front deck. This will allow me to place the batteries up front, dry storage, and a place for the stereo system. Also with the batteries up there I will gain some extra bow weight.

Hoping to have some updated pictures soon.

I think you will like it. I added 6" to mine and went from having a livewell, dry storage, and a small compartment for a battery to having a livewell, dry storage, and a decent sized cooler, plus it gives me that much more room to fish from.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Natedog57 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:28 am

Grizz,
For the tiller handle extension, google "Strongarm tiller handle". I think they run about $100, but they are very well made. I bought one from the owner Bob in person and he seemed like a good guy, I've been very satisfied.
Natedog57
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:54 am

I just slid a piece of PVC pipe over my tiller for an extension.

Sent from my new blue iPhone with Anti-Botiz software

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:04 pm

Got the front deck and the storage hatch done today. We
were were hoping to get to the electrical but just didn't have enough time to start that project, will have to wait until Thursday.

The deck is built very solid, with a nice large hatch. I can still get to the original storage as well so it's like a hatch in a hatch. The storage will host all 3 battery's, and life jackets ect. I will also have my speakers mounted on the rise of the deck. I'll be sealing the wood as best as possible and bed lining then painting it to the match the rest of the boat.

grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:24 pm

2 questions, what are you using that hatchet on and how warm is your beer in that cooler?
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds