14 Jon boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

14 Jon boat

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:03 pm

This is my first time attempting boat hunting out of my own boat. I got a 14 foot flat bottom, and so I have some questions. First off how many people could I fit, first off comfortably and second a little squished (not including gear). Also what type of blind would you guys use on this boat? I was thinking a hi low type. Needs to keep heat in for later in the year. Thanks for any help, and good luck to you guys this year!
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Re: 14 Jon boat

Postby Mndukhntr » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:41 am

I have a 15x42 jon (actual measurement is 14'8"). I usually hunt 2 guys, 2-3 sacks of deeks guns and dog. I would not want to add another hunter to this load. I think the boat would handle it, I just don't like to be crowded when I hunt. I also have a 9' Banded Axe blind on it, but I haven't used it for late season yet so I can't comment on its ability to hold in heat. But so far, I like the blind.

Hope this helps

Mndukhntr
Mndukhntr
hunter

Postby midwesthunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:23 pm

How wide is your boat? I had a 14 and it was tippy as all get out with just me in it. I'd be cautious about the possibility of overloading it.
midwesthunter
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:28 pm

i hunted out of a 14' jon boat for years. as long as it's got some width to it, it's a great size to get into some skinny water and is OK with two guys and a dog IMO. i tried to pack light, and with 2 bags of decoys, it was great for what i used it for. i never did hunt 3 guys out of it though. i suppose you could, and it'd be really tight depending on the configuration... but that's why i bought my 16'.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Two people period. Keep any blind really light. No reasonable boat bind on a 14' boat will hold much heat. Maybe block some wind.
z51
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:24 pm

As previously stated, width is the critical factor. Although only 4" difference, a 1436 and a 1440 are two completely different boats when it comes to load capacity, and stability. I wouldn't hunt more than 2 guys out of one though.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:14 pm

On the 19,000+ acre lake I frequent most often, people launch their 14 footers from the side of a road, have to lift them off the trailer with 3-4 guys....then those 3-4 guys all get IN the boat and go out on the lake...with the top of the gunwales a few inches above the waterline...lol. I'm surprised no one has drowned yet.
Anyway, everyone is correct that you shouldn't hunt more than 2 guys out of it. More than that, and you will be in the situation I just described.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:23 pm

I'm with the rest of the guys here: two guys max. Include maybe one dog IF he's very well disciplined. By the time you add two guy's gear and 2-3 bags of decoys, you'll have zero extra room....especially if you have a mudmotor on it. Mudmotors seem to take up an AWFUL lot of space in a boat; the back 1/3 of the boat will not be very useful for carrying more than a few small items.
I run a 1436 with a longtail and it's great for one man. Okay for two in a pinch. Wholly inadequate for three.

What z51 said about blinds is very, very true.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds