Long shaft to short shaft

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Long shaft to short shaft

Postby Skye Bustin' » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:35 pm

I've got an old Evinrude 6hp long shaft. When I bought it, the seller told me it can be converted to a short shaft by removing the spacer on the lower unit. He also told me there may be a shaft extender in there as well. He made it sound fairly easy to do but I'm not very mechanically inclined. You can see the spacer in the picture.

My question is, is it easy to do or should I take it to a small motor mechanic?

20131009_175824.jpg
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Re: Long shaft to short shaft

Postby z51 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:55 pm

I don't know your mechanical ability. The motor isn't worth much anyway. Before I tried it I would try to locate a seal for it and a parts diagram. Personally I would give it a shot. Does it start and run? I can see the starter rope is dangling and I don't see a choke knob.
z51
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:47 pm

Might be easier to just raise the transom.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Skye Bustin' » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:01 pm

z51 wrote:I don't know your mechanical ability. The motor isn't worth much anyway. Before I tried it I would try to locate a seal for it and a parts diagram. Personally I would give it a shot. Does it start and run? I can see the starter rope is dangling and I don't see a choke knob.

My mechanical aptitude is limited but I do alright with diagrams. It runs like a champ! That metal "hangar loop" is the choke knob.

mudpack wrote:Might be easier to just raise the transom.

That's my other option. Where does the prop height need to be in relation to the transom?
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:06 am

The anti cavitation plate should be just below the bottom of the drain plug. That will give you a shallow run as possible. At least that's how I like my smaller motor.
You can get an idea of how high you would need the Jack plate to be by measuring the extension section on the motor. I don't like my motors sitting that high but it may not bother you.
z51
hunter

Seller was incorrect

Postby Sandor27 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:35 pm

To convert to a short shaft, you need a short shaft drive shaft, a short shaft shift linkage and a short shaft water pump tube.
There is no "extension" the parts are 5" longer. Your easiest solution is to get a 2x8 and bolt it to the transom to raise the motor until the cavitation plate is flush to or up to 1" higher than the bottom of the boat. Cost is $10 and you get a custom fit.

You may be able to find the shaft and linkage on eBay. The water tube can be cut - its just a copper tube.
Sandor27
hunter

Postby Skye Bustin' » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:20 pm

I appreciate all the advice/guidance. I think I'm going to just raise the transom and save the impending headache. Not to mention I don't want to run the risk of screwing up the motor. Thanks again!
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds