*1544 v mod, ideas?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

*1544 v mod, ideas?

Postby ArkyNick » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:33 pm

I have been reading this forum for a while now and have been trying to find a good starter boat for myself. And luckily I have a buddy who was getting rid of his dads boat for him and called me... Got a great deal on it. It came with a rusty trailer and an 82 evinrude 25 hp. He said it runs good just needs a gas tank and a battery so we will see. Anyway, this is my fist time doing this so I could use the help and keeping it cheap would be even better.

**edit**
so i got around to measuring the boat, it turned out to be 15 ft and 44 inches wide.
i thought it looked bigger that 14 ft.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by ArkyNick on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArkyNick
hunter

Re: 1442 v mod, ideas?

Postby ArkyNick » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:48 am

I'm thinking about ordering some pods for it. I'm a big guy I weigh about 250 and was thinking that would help me with taking some of the weight off of the back end. Thoughts? Will it be worth the money?
ArkyNick
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:35 am

Seems like a great starter boat. Get it in the water first and see how it floats. Pods wont hurt but you wont gain a ton on a 42" bottom

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:41 am

Yes. Good idea. I have a 1440 and with me (150lbs) the battery, and fuel tank, the motor, the trolling motor, and some gear in the back the boat cant get on plane. I have a 20HP jet and if I organize everything properly with even weight distribution, it flies up the river on plane, no problem. It sounds like with you being a big guy, you will need to push as much weight up front as you can. I would still recommend the pods, but for now you can get by if you properly distribute your weight.

Oh and welcome to the forum. Words of advise: Some people on here are extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and some people like to take their frustrations out on people who pose stupid questions (not saying this was a stupid question). I wouldn't let someone ruin your whole experience with DHC. Plenty of good people on here.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:06 am

I have a boat similar in size. 1448. Here is a link to what I have done to mine. I currently am putting the fuel tank under the bow to move that weight forward and will update with pics when thats complete.

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=181018&hilit=grizzly
t_baker
hunter

Postby ArkyNick » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:33 am

Well this is the first boat I have ever owned and first time I have ever even tried to work on one so I'm sure I will have my fair share of stupid questions, but thanks in advance lol.
ArkyNick
hunter

Postby ArkyNick » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:14 pm

I was wondering if I should put lights in the front of my boat or just use a spotlight... I've been trying to find a good spotlight, any suggestions on a good one... I have a couple of cheap ones but they don't hold a charge for crap really
ArkyNick
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:55 pm

ArkyNick wrote:I was wondering if I should put lights in the front of my boat or just use a spotlight... I've been trying to find a good spotlight, any suggestions on a good one... I have a couple of cheap ones but they don't hold a charge for crap really

I have lights on my boat but end up using a spotlight more than anything. You can either wire up a cigarette lighter, or put aligator clips on a 12v spotlight, and run it off your boat battery. Much more battery capacity, and non batt. powered spot lights are much lighter
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby ArkyNick » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:21 am

Ok I think I will more than likely just put the clips on the spot light, I doubt I put lights on the boat until I build a bow fishing deck but that will be next year
ArkyNick
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:00 am

Have you splashed the boat yet? How did it run.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby ArkyNick » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:45 pm

Well the motor needs a new water pump, put my father in laws antique 5hp evinrude on it and there's no leaks... But I'm pretty sure I can swim faster that that thing could go... Hopefully ill have it running in the next week or 2
ArkyNick
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Impellers are cake

Shouted from the bottom of a well
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds