Ever Heard of This?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Ever Heard of This?

Postby Justin Weber » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:51 pm

So my brother and his friend were out duck hunting and were driving back and the outboard popped off the back and sunk into the lake. Just asking if you guys have ever heard of this. It was a 2006 25 hp Suzuki. Its 25' deep so I dont think hes finding it either.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Re: Ever Heard of This?

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:57 pm

Justin Weber wrote:So my brother and his friend were out duck hunting and were driving back and the outboard popped off the back and sunk into the lake. Just asking if you guys have ever heard of this. It was a 2006 25 hp Suzuki. Its 25' deep so I dont think hes finding it either.

Yep, actually happens quite a bit. Make sure you keep a fresh cotter key back there. I've found a few props while hogging catfish, along with a lot of other assorted boat parts! lol
All turkeys must die!!!

WTN10 wrote:Mark your calendars, boys. This is the day WTN10 was wrong. The cat above is 100% correct.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Im thinking about going on a diving adventure to find it for him. Little to nippy out though!
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Justin Weber wrote:Im thinking about going on a diving adventure to find it for him. Little to nippy out though!

25' would be hard even knowing EXACTLY where it was. And its only too cold if you don't want it bad enough. :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!!!

WTN10 wrote:Mark your calendars, boys. This is the day WTN10 was wrong. The cat above is 100% correct.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Cujo1 wrote:
Justin Weber wrote:So my brother and his friend were out duck hunting and were driving back and the outboard popped off the back and sunk into the lake. Just asking if you guys have ever heard of this. It was a 2006 25 hp Suzuki. Its 25' deep so I dont think hes finding it either.

[/qoute]Yep, actually happens quite a bit. Make sure you keep a fresh cotter key back there. I've found a few props while hogging catfish, along with a lot of other assorted boat parts! lol

Pssssst...... It was the WHOLE motor, not just the prop. :beer:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:37 pm

biscuitsandgravy wrote:
Cujo1 wrote:

[/qoute]Yep, actually happens quite a bit. Make sure you keep a fresh cotter key back there. I've found a few props while hogging catfish, along with a lot of other assorted boat parts! lol

Pssssst...... It was the WHOLE motor, not just the prop. :beer:

Pssssst.....Missed that! That happens more than just the prop, usually on the road. Only found one whole motor before and couldn't salvage it. I had a friend that did that and they used diving gear to go get it. There is a cool video on here of that happening, I'll have to look for it. :thumbsup: Thanks for the reading lesson, had my head up my assss! lol
All turkeys must die!!!

Cujo1
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Had it happen to me. Fortunately the steering and shift cables kept it teathered to the boat long enough to pull it up. Bolted it on the next day. If you can pull it up soon, and it isn't in salt water the motor is salvageable, and looking at the cost to replace its worth the effort

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:12 pm

I do that once in a while too Cujo, didn't mean to call you out.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:21 pm

All turkeys must die!!!

Cujo1
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:23 pm

biscuitsandgravy wrote:I do that once in a while too Cujo, didn't mean to call you out.

I need called out once in a while. Success cannot be achieved without failure :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!!!

Cujo1
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:45 pm

I'd be calling a diver and getting that back... That's every bit of $2k sitting down there...
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby t_baker » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:57 pm

grizz18 wrote:I'd be calling a diver and getting that back... That's every bit of $2k sitting down there...

This.

Call the county dive team if you have one, they will go after things like that often for training hours.
t_baker
hunter

Postby 1quacker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 am

I take it no insurance on the rig ?? Fire Dept Dive Team may do it for you.
1quacker
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:48 pm

I sure as hell would be trying to get it unless it's getting real cold there or there is a lot of current in the water. Motors are expensive.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:09 pm

I had a guy drop a 25 Merc off my boat while I was in a layout. $250 deductible and the insurance replaced the motor. Never heard from the guy again.

Had a 55 hp tiller pop off on me and I held it up cause the motor pushed itself again the transom... We pulled it in, loosened the clamps and put her back on in the middle an inlet. LOL! The good old days.

Just an FYI, there are holes for bolts in motor mounts. I won't run my boats without the motor bolted on now.

Another funky point - I've had a motor mount go while running too. It was a 9.9 - held on to that one and tried to figure out how to turn it off...
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:12 pm

LOL guys safety chains.... we put them on our trailers put them on the damn motor lol trust me saved my but a few times
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Cujo1 wrote:
biscuitsandgravy wrote:I do that once in a while too Cujo, didn't mean to call you out.

I need called out once in a while. Success cannot be achieved without failure :thumbsup:

And failure teaches us much more than any success.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Onwaterillbe » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:32 pm

Almost happened to me 30 years ago when I was a teenager. By myself in a 16 foot boat with a 25 horse motor in very rough water in mosquito lagoon FL. I just happened to look back and the motor was tilted to the right with the left clamp completely off the transom and the right clamp just barely hanging on. I throttled back and got the clamps tightened up. We bolted the motor to the transom after that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Onwaterillbe
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:26 pm

southpaw92 wrote:LOL guys safety chains.... we put them on our trailers put them on the damn motor lol trust me saved my but a few times

You chain a trailer because you cannot bolt it to the truck

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds