Covers for Scissor Style Boat Blind

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Covers for Scissor Style Boat Blind

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:01 am

Any of you guys out there have any good ideas for blind covers for "Scissor Style" boat blinds? I have the Cabela's Northern Flight boat blind on my boat. Where I hunt, I can't put one of the traditional "tops" like the Avery Quickset on my blind as our shots can come from any direction, even behind us.

Currently I am using the thinnest possible plywood ( sealed, painted, and camoed ) I can find without breaking the plywood (1/4"). the problem, is that they are kind of clunky, and get in the way as we take them off. Ideally I'd like something that is light, permanently attached and will not hinder the blind's ability to fold down at the end of the day.

What are some idea's that you guys have used to address a similar ( or the same ) issue? I was thinking about somehow attaching waterproof canvas directly to the blind, painting it in some sort of camo scheme then throwing some natural camo from the area on top of them. My concern is that the canvas will not be rigid enough to withstand the weight of the camo any water/rain/snow that may fall.

Let me know what you guys think! :beer:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Re: Covers for Scissor Style Boat Blind

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:48 am

I use burlap over the top of my blind. It cuts down on the black hole effect that a boat blind gives, allows visibility out, and restricts visibility in allowing for a little more movement in the blind. Mine is just ziptied to dowels, so when I keep it all rolled up until I get to my spot, put the blind up, and put the burlap sections up. They can be easily moved out of the way for shooting.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:58 am

I used the Cordura 1000d and have been warm with a heater in temps below 10. It is currently in it's second season and is holdong up very well. On top of the cordura I have 3-d military style camo with grass attached. Seems to work well for the material part of your question. On the tops, good luck, I've tried 3 different ways to have a top on a blind and they looked better in the driveway than they ended up being as functional as I thought in hunting situations.
Last edited by gearhead80 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:59 am

Very good idea T-Man, Thanks. I never thought of the dowel idea....
Do you just drape 1 big piece lengthwise across your blind when it is just you hunting? Or do you have it set up in sections, so as to allow for multiple hunters?

This may have just given me an idea.... :yes:

Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:13 pm

gearhead80 wrote:I used the Cordura 1000d and have been warm with a heater in temps below 10. It is currently in it's second season and is holdong up very well. On top of the cordura I have 3-d military style camo with grass attached. Seems to work well for the material part of your question. On the tops, good luck, I've tried 3 different ways to have a top on a blind and they looked better in the driveway than they ended up being functional in hunting situations.

Gear you may be exactly right dude. I actually have a big arse roll of camouflage cordura in my garage that I completely forgot about until you said that. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking about draping one long piece of the camo cordura along the top of the blind/opening/black hole lengthwise, then getting 2 -16ft pieces of 1" or greater dowel ( kinda like a broom stick ). Next, staple the cordura to the dowels on each side ( port and starboard ) then cut both the cordura and the dowel into 4 equal sized sections so as to allow for up to 4 people in the boat at a time. Last, I could add a couple of the aluminum broomstick holders to the top rails of the blind where the dowels can snap in and keep the camo secure and/or the weather and black hole out..... let me know if that sounds feasible. I'm open to the feedback either way.

Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Should work if you can make it durable enough.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:16 pm

870, this is what I use on my hardside blind, similar to T-mans method I think. I just staple waterproofed tarp onto 2x2's and add some camo material. I have enough to put over the whole length of the blind. You can close them easily so nothing can see in and you can look out through a crack. Keeps us warm, dry, and concealed. You might be able to use something like this. Just make sure you don't flip them off in the water with your blind. They can't go anywhere on my blind.

blind4.jpg
blind5.jpg
All turkeys must die!!!

WTN10 wrote:Mark your calendars, boys. This is the day WTN10 was wrong. The cat above is 100% correct.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Cujo1 wrote:870, this is what I use on my hardside blind, similar to T-mans method I think. I just staple waterproofed tarp onto 2x2's and add some camo material. I have enough to put over the whole length of the blind. You can close them easily so nothing can see in and you can look out through a crack. Keeps us warm, dry, and concealed. You might be able to use something like this. Just make sure you don't flip them off in the water with your blind. They can't go anywhere on my blind.

blind4.jpg
blind5.jpg

Thats exactly it.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:09 pm

Awesome stuff Cujo! :clapping:
Good ideas there. It reminded me that attaching the dowels perpendicularly to the beams would allow for more flexibility in the size of the openings, while keeping the covers strong enough to support the weight of some natural camo on top.
I will knock this out before I roll out at noon on Friday.

Blackcloud870
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds