Primer for boat , new alunimum floor

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Primer for boat , new alunimum floor

Postby Casing » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm putting a floor in my aluminum boat . It's aluminum diamond plate and I am looking for thr best primer to use. Parker's is not self etching. Any ideas?
Casing
hunter

Re: Primer for boat , new alunimum floor

Postby T Man » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:04 pm

Start by using a red scotchbrite pad to rough up the surface, and follow it with some sort of etching wash. I prefer NAPA Alumabrite, but i have seen 50/50 vinegar - water mixes. This will give an etched surface for the paint to stick to. Next prime with a zinc chromate primer. If you can't find it, I have used the rustoleum self etching primer for aluminum found at Home Depot and have been satisfied with my results.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: Primer for boat , new alunimum floor

Postby tod0987 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:05 pm

Proper prep is the most important. scuff!!, clean/degrease, clean/degrease, clean/degrease, then use a zinc chromate primer. I used duplicolor and rustolium selfetching primer and it won't stick good unless it has something to really bite into. I plan to spend the $$ next time and go zinc chromate. Cheapo in me went with the duplicolor/Rust self etching and I'm having pain chip off when hit with a hard blow or hard bump with the dock.

Just my $0.02 from my experience.

Tod
tod0987
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds