SD build ? Maybe

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

SD build ? Maybe

Postby threedogs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm thinking of building a surface drive using my HD 88 twin cam motor. I went to an S&S 124" and have this one just sitting in my garage. Any opinions ?
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Re: SD build ? Maybe

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:20 pm

I have read your posts since you post often. You seem like a competent and crafty guy. I personally don't understand a surface drive for a duck boat. My preference is for a long tail with a belted reduction to the drive shaft. It gives long tail convenience with the advantage of the surface drives drive shaft reduction. Isn't your HD engine a bit much for weight on a boat transom? I haven't done a conversion like this takes, but I would think that a new conventional industrial motor would be cheaper than a HD conversion. It would be for me. However the joy in a project is often as much in the journey as it is in later having it completed. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby CountryRN » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:35 pm

It should work. It's gonna be loud as hell. Check the youtube link below.
http://youtu.be/4rd2d3PQSiA
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby threedogs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:54 pm

Mark F. Cheney wrote:I have read your posts since you post often. You seem like a competent and crafty guy. I personally don't understand a surface drive for a duck boat. My preference is for a long tail with a belted reduction to the drive shaft. It gives long tail convenience with the advantage of the surface drives drive shaft reduction. Isn't your HD engine a bit much for weight on a boat transom? I haven't done a conversion like this takes, but I would think that a new conventional industrial motor would be cheaper than a HD conversion. It would be for me. However the joy in a project is often as much in the journey as it is in later having it completed. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Mark F. Cheney

Mark, as close as I can figure the HD motor weighs between 120 and 150 lbs. The 50 hp merc that I have on this boat is over 200 lbs. I know that the frame would contribute to the weight but I think it can be done under 180 lbs.
The reason for a SD would be because I haven't heard of one yet! I have to have something to do til I die or I'll make more enemies on these forums than I have already. :yes: It just seems like the thing to try but maybe not. Should be fun but probably a little or lot of frustration.

CountryRN, that video was pretty cool, I wonder what the speeds were? Thx for the link.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:50 pm

CountryRN wrote:It should work. It's gonna be loud as hell. Check the youtube link below.
http://youtu.be/4rd2d3PQSiA

Hell

Yes.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:59 pm

Three Dogs:

I understand the "itch to do" completely. It has motivated much of what I have done in my life. And I have had a great ride, at that.

Currently I am working on a really light weight mud motor that would have a little push, be reliable, and weigh about 35 lbs. I have got at least 5 years in this and several small motor purchases of various types. I am also getting close to finishing a solid long tail with a drive shaft reduction using a larger engine - say 14 to 25 HP. Good luck with your HD.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby GMag10 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:32 am

Do a search on MMT. A very talented indivdual had taken a similar engine and put it on a GTR frame, keeping the reverse and clutch. If you wanted to just do a simple surface drive with no reverse, it will not take a lot more than building one for a 10 hp. You will have a bit more work adapting a drive pulley to the engine output. The other projects using similar engines have had to add additional cooling.
GMag10
hunter

Postby threedogs » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:42 pm

GMag10 wrote:Do a search on MMT. A very talented indivdual had taken a similar engine and put it on a GTR frame, keeping the reverse and clutch. If you wanted to just do a simple surface drive with no reverse, it will not take a lot more than building one for a 10 hp. You will have a bit more work adapting a drive pulley to the engine output. The other projects using similar engines have had to add additional cooling.

Well, I fell for it. Every time I go to that fkn site I get a virus and I got another one this time. If it's already been done then I don't want to build one anymore.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds